BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z2 Forums > General BMW Z2 Forum

04-24-2007, 10:28 PM   #1
thedocmoz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2000 323i

Forum title says BMW Z2?

Is there really going to be a Z2, was this annouced anywhere? Sory i've been out of the loop for the past year, but if this is official how small would it be compared to the Z4? Granted the Z4 has a long snout but other then that, I cant imagine it getting much smaller, dont tell me BMW wants to build a miata??

moz
2006 M Coupe, Imola Red/Black, bone stock <for now>
2000 323i, titanium silver, black interior, sport+premium package. 18x8.5 Hamann HM2
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 08:40 AM   #2
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Nope, sorry nothing announced by BMW, everthing so far has been speculation and very scant speculation at that. There was one drawing floating around which was basicly a Z4 that was shrunk in photoshop and a X-coupe (the concept car) front end grafted onto it. I think a car like this is still many years away
      05-10-2007, 12:17 PM   #3
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE90M3 View Post
Nope, sorry nothing announced by BMW, everthing so far has been speculation and very scant speculation at that. There was one drawing floating around which was basicly a Z4 that was shrunk in photoshop and a X-coupe (the concept car) front end grafted onto it. I think a car like this is still many years away

Quote:
Car & Driver- 2010 BMW Z2 - Car News

New BMW roadster to compete in less pricey MX-5 Miata segment. Z2 should sell for less than $30,000 when it appears, most likely in 2010.
BY JUERGEN ZOELLTER, October 2006

According to sources inside BMW, the German automaker plans to launch a roadster priced well below the current Z4, which starts at $36,295. Although the price has not been set, the new two-seat droptop, dubbed the Z2, is expected to occupy the sub-$30,000 roadster segment that is currently dominated by the Pontiac Solstice and Mazda MX-5. The successor to today’s Z4 will remain near $40,000 and will continue to compete against the Audi TT, Porsche Boxster, Nissan 350Z, and Chevrolet Corvette.

The upcoming bargain-basement two-seater will reportedly be based on the chassis and components of the current Z4, but it will measure a mere 151 inches in length, making it about 10 inches shorter than today’s Z4. Styling for the Z2 is in the process of being finalized, but we expect the diminutive roadster to have short overhangs and 19-inch wheels. Our artist’s rendering provides an idea of what BMW might have in store for its Solstice and MX-5 fighter.

Unlike today’s Z4, which is powered exclusively by six-cylinder engines, the Z2 will only get four-cylinder power. However, those engines will range in strength from 150 horsepower in base versions all the way to a turbocharged 300-hp, 2.0-liter four-cylinder in the M-tuned version. An expected curb weight of 2800 pounds should allow the Z2 to make the most of that power. Transmission choices will include a traditional manual and — surprise, surprise — a double-clutch gearbox similar to Volkswagen/Audi’s DSG. BMW plans on replacing its rough-shifting sequential manual gearboxes with smoother DSG-like transmissions before the end of the decade.

To keep costs down, a nearly identical chassis to today’s Z4 will underpin the Z2 — struts up front with a multilink setup in back — but there will be the option of adjustable shocks. The electric power-steering rack from the Z4 will also live on in the Z2, with optional variable-ratio active steering.

Set to go on sale in 2010, the made-in-America BMW Z2 should add some German flavor to a segment dominated by the Americans and Japanese.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)

Last edited by inTgr8r; 05-10-2007 at 12:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 03:12 PM   #4
Justinitus
Simply Handsome...
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 2.0i Sport

I heard a rumour that this will utilise the new Mini platform....??

Full tank...Z4... empty road... Marvellous!!

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2007, 02:28 PM   #5
Bene
Registered
Germany
Rep
Drives: -

the red looks nice
Appreciate 0