New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-01-2019, 09:47 PM   #1
Mayhem
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35is

RAIN: Trunk still leaking.....You might want to check

There have been several threads that talked about the E89 roof hydraulic motors and salmon colored relays going bad from water that somehow gets into the trunk. I was one of those that ended up replacing the salmon colored relays and getting the hydraulic motor rebuilt. I promised to make sure and check on the unit after every rain to make sure it was dry.

Low and behold, it rained here in Southern California this past week, and I went to check on the trunk. The felt covered false bottom of the trunk was soaking wet and water had gotten into the lower part of the trunk where the battery and hydro unit sit. I immediately pulled the motor and made sure it was dry, and I currently have it elevated above the battery. I wiped down the recess with a towel and will let it air dry. Luckily, I have encased the foam motor cradle in a thick plastic bag so that water would not soak through.

I guess I’m going to have to get used to checking my trunk after every heavy rain. Lucky me, it rarely rains in Southern California.
Appreciate 2
Asbjorn90.00
RobbiZ4127.50
      12-03-2019, 02:04 PM   #2
RobbiZ4
Call me "Dr. Bob"
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89 sDrive 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
There have been several threads that talked about the E89 roof hydraulic motors and salmon colored relays going bad from water that somehow gets into the trunk. I was one of those that ended up replacing the salmon colored relays and getting the hydraulic motor rebuilt. [

...]I have encased the foam motor cradle in a thick plastic bag so that water would not soak through.
Water is only a problem for the motor of the hydraulic pump, that can be destroyed by the water.
The 2 salmon relays have to be replaced anyway every 5 years as the pump can overheat.
https://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1522435
Appreciate 0