New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

03-02-2019, 04:54 AM   #67
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

OK, an update fresh from a-carnavi.com as I've just been speaking to them...

AVIN USA will not be supplying these units.

4x4SHOP Canada should be supplying them, although they are not on their website yet.

TAFFI, in Germany, are the European distributor, but aren't cheap by any means, their current price is double that of buying it directly from the manufactueres.

The iDrive controller has completed testing so will now be available for anyone wishing to add it to the screen who doesn't currently have iDrive, this is an optional extra though and isn't actually required to operate the screen as it's touchscreen anyway and the steering wheel controls will work also.

That's the latest news directly from them. I'll update agin tomorrow when I'll hopefully have mine in and fully working

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 02:20 PM   #68
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Installed the Android screen today, very happy with it so here's a few photos of the finished item complete with the optional iDrive controller. Now I'm editing the video together so should be on-line by the end of the week. Just need a nice sunny spell so I can finish the video off, trust me to pick a rainy day to film this
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 12:50 AM   #69
LordLolzeye
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89 3.0i 2011

DavesZed looks amazing & can't wait for the video, i'm next to put it on my car!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 01:23 AM   #70
Ec.suyu
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Z4 E89 35i

Any lag on the system? Would love to see a walkthrough of the menu. Android auto integration? google maps?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 02:11 AM   #71
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ec.suyu View Post
Any lag on the system? No lag, very responsive both touchscreen and via the iDrive controller
Would love to see a walkthrough of the menu. I'll be including a walkthrough in my video once I've completed it, hopefully later this week.
Android auto integration? Yes, via a USB adaptor purchased separately, I'm currently awaiting mine to arrive. The adaptor I've gone for is for both Android Auto and Apple Carplay
google maps? Yes, the app is included, but at it's a live app then you'd need a data-plan attached phone. Sygic is a free off-line, recognised, sat-nav app that works quite well
Answers in bold above

Appreciate 1
M3X3Z326.00
      03-04-2019, 06:34 AM   #72
exmlcxjv
Rep
Drives: Z4 23i

hi can u give me the contact in shenzhen? and price? thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 07:18 AM   #73
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmlcxjv View Post
hi can u give me the contact in shenzhen? and price? thank you
The direct contact is http://www.a-carnavi.com/pd.jsp?id=9...c#_pp=0_821_57

Price wise, ball park figure is $750, but there will be shipping on top, potential import duties, and if you need to idrive controller then that's another $80 on top.

If you already have iDrive then you won't need the controller.

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 08:33 AM   #74
exmlcxjv
Rep
Drives: Z4 23i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesZed View Post
The direct contact is http://www.a-carnavi.com/pd.jsp?id=9...c#_pp=0_821_57

Price wise, ball park figure is $750, but there will be shipping on top, potential import duties, and if you need to idrive controller then that's another $80 on top.

If you already have iDrive then you won't need the controller.
thank you, will contact them to get mine and looking forward to your video tutorial
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 09:34 AM   #75
keithro
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Sdrive35is

Can someone clarify for me? Does this screen replace the dash top storage cubby? It doesn't require a vehicle that was originally equipped with a dash top screen. Want to double check before I order.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 10:10 AM   #76
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithro View Post
Can someone clarify for me? Does this screen replace the dash top storage cubby? It doesn't require a vehicle that was originally equipped with a dash top screen. Want to double check before I order.
No, this can be either a replacement for your existing iDrive screen to add additional features to what you already have, or to a non-iDrive Professional radio to add more functionality, you can even add the iDrive controller

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 10:11 AM   #77
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmlcxjv View Post
thank you, will contact them to get mine and looking forward to your video tutorial

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 04:50 PM   #78
Ec.suyu
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Android auto integration? Yes, via a USB adaptor purchased separately, I'm currently awaiting mine to arrive. The adaptor I've gone for is for both Android Auto and Apple Carplay

Would like to see where it plugs it into and how it routes. Still seeing if its worth doing just to get android auto
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 01:24 AM   #79
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Would like to see where it plugs it into and how it routes. Still seeing if its worth doing just to get android auto
There is a loom plug on the new unit that has 2 USB sockets coming from it. This is where you'd plug the Android Auto dongle into. Where you then place it for easy access is your choice. Mine will be going directly into my glovebox with an additional USB socket fastened in there, just so you don't see the dongle, you'll then just have a phone cable in there that you plug into your phone. Nice simple and cosmetically very neat. You could run it to the centre console cubby so you can place your phone in there, or even have a phone holder on the dash somewhere and have it that way, it's totally down to how you want it.

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 02:13 AM   #80
Ec.suyu
Canada
Rep

Quote:
There is a loom plug on the new unit that has 2 USB sockets coming from it. This is where you'd plug the Android Auto dongle into. Where you then place it for easy access is your choice. Mine will be going directly into my glovebox with an additional USB socket fastened in there, just so you don't see the dongle, you'll then just have a phone cable in there that you plug into your phone. Nice simple and cosmetically very neat. You could run it to the centre console cubby so you can place your phone in there, or even have a phone holder on the dash somewhere and have it that way, it's totally down to how you want it.
Thanks for answering all the questions, Looking forward to seeing your video.

Edit: was wondering if there was a way to reuse the USB port in the center console to connect to the screen? It must be a USB pass through to the original unit (CIC). That would be nice

Last edited by Ec.suyu; 03-05-2019 at 02:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 02:16 AM   #81
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for answering all the questions, Looking forward to seeing your video.
Always happy whatever I can

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 10:31 PM   #82
airwalk776
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive35is

my unit is scheduled to be delivered on the 8th but I am traveling for work until the 15th so can't make the video until that weekend

can't wait been waiting for this for years !!!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 02:14 AM   #83
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwalk776 View Post
my unit is scheduled to be delivered on the 8th but I am traveling for work until the 15th so can't make the video until that weekend

can't wait been waiting for this for years !!!
You'll love it, I'm just going through some little niggles (ie; setting up bits-n-bobs as the manual isn't the best) so I'll be able to place this info in the video hopefully. It comes very much set-up fom the factory as if you already have iDrive, but I see this as more of an upgrade to non-iDrive cars, although it is a nice upgrade for your OEM iDrive as it adds extra functionality that you don't currently have.

Did you go for the optional iDrive controller?

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 03:48 PM   #84
airwalk776
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You'll love it, I'm just going through some little niggles (ie; setting up bits-n-bobs as the manual isn't the best) so I'll be able to place this info in the video hopefully. It comes very much set-up fom the factory as if you already have iDrive, but I see this as more of an upgrade to non-iDrive cars, although it is a nice upgrade for your OEM iDrive as it adds extra functionality that you don't currently have.

Did you go for the optional iDrive controller?
I have a factory Idrive controller and screen.
only additional item I got was the CarPlay cable
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 02:12 AM   #85
PaulVerkleij
the dutchman
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 2010 2.3

Great setup!

Interested to see how you hook-up your internet connection.
Will you be using your phone? By Wifi, by cable? Maybe a separate 4G USB dongle?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 02:24 AM   #86
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulVerkleij View Post
Great setup!

Interested to see how you hook-up your internet connection.
Will you be using your phone? By Wifi, by cable? Maybe a separate 4G USB dongle?
A Hotspot from your phone (with a good data allowance) would be the best way as WiFi is built in to the screen. Doing this does eat battery life so a good idea to plug it in and charge your phone while you're doing so.

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 02:42 AM   #87
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm still trying to sort my Carplay/Android Auto to work. I now have the apk, which loaded OK, but rain stopped play yesterday afternoon (as I needed to unscrew a panel) so today will be attempt 3 for sorting this out

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 03:30 PM   #88
airwalk776
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm still trying to sort my Carplay/Android Auto to work. I now have the apk, which loaded OK, but rain stopped play yesterday afternoon (as I needed to unscrew a panel) so today will be attempt 3 for sorting this out
Quote:
Quote:

I'm stuck in San Francisco on work travels. The device arrived within 3-4 days as advertised by a-carnavi can't wait to get back home and install this. Seems like you are happy with it so far other than the CarPlay option ?
Appreciate 0