New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

09-20-2018, 04:30 PM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

anyone w/ rear camera installed?

Not a reverse camera, just want a simple setup for a rear-facing camera. What's your setup? TIA.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 04:28 PM   #2
gasnet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

yes i have one
2016 Audi A7 RIP / 19 Genesis G80 RIP
2020 Z4 M40i / 2022 X3
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 08:20 PM   #3
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasnet View Post
yes i have one
How's it set up?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 04:25 AM   #4
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

I've recently fitted the Mini 0906 front / rear camera complete with a Parking guard kit as well, all in a shade over £100 (UK).

Fitting the front was simple, but finding a suitable (hidden) path to the rear was a pain in the backside!!
I ended up going along the inside of the passenger door sill and then removing various panels to get the cable up the inside of the passenger side roll hoop. Then with a little bit of cutting to allow the cable to sit properly within the plastic of the hoops fed it out of the join between the two halves on the inside of the top and stuck the camera to the inside of the hoop.
This is the only rear facing camera I've found that has the ability of turning round enough to mount it like this.
As for quality (1080p on both cams), love it, there is still some very minor pixelation in certain conditions but other than that I'm more than happy, especially as an upgrade to my previous front only Mio Mivue (also 1080p). The parking Guard seems to be working perfectly.
Oh and when the roof is up nobody can see your rear cam but is in a good position to see behind you while driving.
Although the rear one looks badly fitted, in the attached pics, its actually only slightly off horizontal as seen in the screen shots.
Front cam has the GPS base that fits onto the windscreen which has the power lead in it, although there is a power point on the other edge of the base and on the cam itself.
I've attached various front and rear screen shots to try to show you the quality and the angle you will get from the rear one.
Oh the corners missing in the front cam shots are the outer edge of the CPL filter that comes with it (if it's included), but you don't have to use it.
Attached Images

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2018, 03:00 PM   #5
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Wow, DavesZed, thanks very much for your thorough post!

I've been struggling w/ the rear cam position. Right now I have it on a 'mini-stand' of sorts, elevated a bit to avoid the bottom of the rear window frame and smack in the middle just near the glass...it's obviously an eyesore roof on or off and I'm also worried about it blowing off when the roof's down. I like your 'hidden' placement. How secure it is nestled in that loop? No chance of it blowing off? May I see close-ups of that to see how exactly you connected it? Thanks again!

Great job, btw, that's now my goal.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 04:25 AM   #6
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

As you can see in the attached the rear cam has a rotating base with a 3M sticky pad on it (the red part). This rotating base rotates enough to allow it to be stuck to the plastic of the hoop (obviously needs to be alcohol wiped clean). So far it's been on there since earlier this year and the majority of my driving has been with the roof down and it is still secure so no chance of it blowing off. Even if it did become loose you could actually drill a bolt fixing into the hoop.
I made a hole in the plastic joint just above where the cam is. I'd have preferred all of the wire to be hidden but due to the plug connector being the size it is and the lack of room inside the plastic cover I decided to loop it like I have.
Alas due to the design it makes it off level, but it doesn't really matter.
Oh and with mine being a right-hand drive I placed it on my passenger side to get the full off-side view I could, obviously I'd recommend that you place it on YOUR passenger side (being the right) for maximum viewing position when the roof is up. I appreciate that vehicles can pass on either side (road dependent) in the USA (well they can here in the UK as well depending on the road layout) but this will give you the predominant maximum view you can.
Attached Images

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2018, 05:16 AM   #7
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

I'll have to fiddle around w/ my cam to see how it will fit.

Thanks again for the additional info.
Appreciate 0