New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

03-20-2022, 03:08 PM   #1
justin_nj
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Brake sensor won't reset.

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi all,

So this is not the first time i've done BMW brakes, just the first time on my 2014 Z4. I never had a reset failure after replacing the sensor. My brake reset won't reset.

I replaced the brakes (Pads, Rotors and sensor). I went perform the reset, and as the reset was 'in-progress' about 2 seconds in, it stopped and triggered the message again that the front brakes were worn and need to be replaced. The reset didn't take. I tried about 5 times with no luck.

Any ideas on what could be the issue? Do I need to drive the car for a few miles before I can reset? Any thoughts would be helpful.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 08:34 PM   #2
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
I would suspect a bad sensor, a broken sensor wire, or a bad connection to the sensor. If the system is saying the brake pads need replacing it's because it is sensing an open circuit in the sensor loop.

Gerry
      03-21-2022, 07:30 AM   #3
justin_nj
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryC View Post
I would suspect a bad sensor, a broken sensor wire, or a bad connection to the sensor. If the system is saying the brake pads need replacing it's because it is sensing an open circuit in the sensor loop.

Gerry
Gerry,

Thanks for the suggestions. I wanted to confirm your suspicions and did a continuity test on the old and new sensors. The old one, as expected failed continuity from the two prongs in the connector. The new one passed, so that leads me to believe the sensor is functional. I reconnected the sensor and attempted a reset and the same failure occured. I am wondering if it is my reset process that is now the issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 10:00 AM   #4
bigendbob
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: z4 23i Orion Silver

Years ago i had to resort to going to a indy and they used their Autel tool to reset.
I couldn't get to reset, think it was suggested it had to be within 400 miles left or warning came up, otherwise wouldn't reset.
I now have a Foxwell reader which i think would reset.
My mileage indicator had gone to minus 400 miles before i replaced sensor.
I now tie back the sensors and don't use them.
More trouble than worth. I just check couple of times a year with wheel off.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 12:18 PM   #5
justin_nj
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigendbob View Post
Years ago i had to resort to going to a indy and they used their Autel tool to reset.
I couldn't get to reset, think it was suggested it had to be within 400 miles left or warning came up, otherwise wouldn't reset.
I now have a Foxwell reader which i think would reset.
My mileage indicator had gone to minus 400 miles before i replaced sensor.
I now tie back the sensors and don't use them.
More trouble than worth. I just check couple of times a year with wheel off.
That might be the issue as I am at -500. Dang sux if I need to go get it reset somewhere. These brake sensors are a real pain. I liked it better when it was a metal clip that would squeal on the rotor.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 03:21 PM   #6
justin_nj
Rep

Ok - problem resolved. So apparently the fix for this is to also turn off the parking breaking break and then perform the reset:

1) key in the ignition
2) foot off the break
3) go to 2nd ignition position (not starting the engine)
4) click iDrive to click OK on the break warning message
5) tap foot on break and shut off parking brake (if you are a manual trans, make sure your in gear not neutral)
6) Hold down odometer reset to get into the reset menu
7) Press the reset button on the turn signal once to get the 'reset question'
8) Press and hold the reset button on the turn signal until the reset is performed.
9) Enable parking brake
10) Start car to confirm no other reset messages are present.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 01:10 PM   #7
bigendbob
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: z4 23i Orion Silver

I tried all that and many combinations of, still wouldn't reset.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 08:40 PM   #8
MarinerZ4C
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0Si Coupe

I am not sure if this will throw any light on your issue, Bob, but take a look at this thread from 1Addicts: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1828144

As you read to the end, I had issues because I didn't know the pad wear indicators were 2-stage, and because once improperly reset, the normal procedure didn't seem to work. BimmerGeeks ProTool did work fine once I had a new, good indicator fitted.

I've sold my 1-Series and I'm planning on getting a Z4

Vert128
Appreciate 0