New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-10-2010, 05:12 PM   #67
Roadstergal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i

I would go to another dealer. I had the whining noise and I first tried to run the car with a full tank and did not let it get below 1/2 to no avail. I brought the car in and they replaced the lpfp right away. I asked the SA if he used diagnostics or just listened to it to make the determination to replace it and he said that they simply listened to it. That was about two months ago and I have not had a problem with it since. It is as quiet as it was when I first took delivery.

From reading the posts here, I think I may have brought the problem on by allowing the tank to get down to 1/4 full a few times. Since I had the lpfp replaced, I will not let it get below 1/2. I would fight them on this. It is not normal or enjoyable to drive the car with that much noise.
E36 - 1998 Z3 2.8 (Red, black leather, wood trim)
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 05:17 PM   #68
davidmbell
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91 318d Exclusive

Garage List
Two more clips taken this evening with FULL TANK of fuel - you know - the thing that was meant to quieten the noise down....

http://www.davidmbell.com/z4/whine3.mp4

http://www.davidmbell.com/z4/whine4.mp4

(700kb files!)

Can those who had theirs replaced already and then told that it won't be replaced again but a software fix will be implemented please update us on progress?

Thanks

David
Automatic
Business Nav
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 06:04 PM   #69
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Making us drive the car with the tank above half full is not an acceptible solution in my book.
55 litres is a small tank to start with.
Making us limit ourselves to 25 litres between fill ups is a crazy limitation.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 09:15 PM   #70
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmbell View Post
Two more clips taken this evening with FULL TANK of fuel - you know - the thing that was meant to quieten the noise down....

http://www.davidmbell.com/z4/whine3.mp4

http://www.davidmbell.com/z4/whine4.mp4

(700kb files!)

Can those who had theirs replaced already and then told that it won't be replaced again but a software fix will be implemented please update us on progress?

Thanks

David
That's crazy! Absolutely unacceptable.

What bugs me is the dealer has nothing to gain by putting the screws to you.

Go to a another dealer. Don't know what sort of issue resolution system you have in the UK, but I would use it and not give up until that is fixed!
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 11:53 PM   #71
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Sorry to hear about your prb, David. Have you tried my very non-scientific way to see if the noise cuts off if you brake hard? ***If you want to test this, please do it on an empty road w/ no one behind/around you.*** When I brake hard (when I had the noise), the noise would cut off and go back on, almost as if the sloshing fuel had something to do w/ muffling the sound. Mine had the same noise as yours but now it's gone, even though your mileage is higher...who knows, maybe it'll disappear like mine. ...but of course, you should really get a good solution instead of the dealer ignoring what is an obvious prb here.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 12:18 PM   #72
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmbell View Post
I'm very disappointed with the car itself and the dealership and don't know what to do now. Try another dealer? Live with it till the bl\\dy thing breaks down AGAIN!?

A dealer does not decide if a repair is covered by warranty or not. It is BMW who does. So BMW rejects noisy pump warranty claims. Visiting a different dealer won't help. You have to contact BMW directly and make them clear that you are not happy with the noise.

In my case, the pump made a different noise than yours. First BMW rejected the requested because they assumed it was the 'standard' high pitch whine sound. After they heard the low humming sound, they decided to approve the replacement. It took almost 3 working days before the dealer got the approval.

EdP
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #73
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zEdP View Post
A dealer does not decide if a repair is covered by warranty or not. It is BMW who does. So BMW rejects noisy pump warranty claims. Visiting a different dealer won't help. You have to contact BMW directly and make them clear that you are not happy with the noise.
People being people though, (in my experience) it is common for a dealer's service advisor or service manager to take the initiative and decide they will not even ask the manufacturer. I would not be surprised if this barrier is what has been experienced in this case.
If BMW had globally stopped fixing this problem after sooo many have been fixed / repaired so far, I believe we would be seeing an avalanche of people here complainign of this change in BMW policy on the fix.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 06:17 PM   #74
Roadstergal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zEdP View Post

In my case, the pump made a different noise than yours. First BMW rejected the requested because they assumed it was the 'standard' high pitch whine sound. After they heard the low humming sound, they decided to approve the replacement. It took almost 3 working days before the dealer got the approval.

EdP
When I took mine in, they immediately telephoned me within a couple of hours to let me know that they were replacing the pump and that I had to leave my car overnight. They also stated they were overnighting the part.

I agree with Dr Stig that it is the dealer calling the shots on this one.
E36 - 1998 Z3 2.8 (Red, black leather, wood trim)
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 05:10 AM   #75
Phat Cat
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Hi all:

My 2009 3.5 has already gone thru HPFP failure and is exhibiting this rear whine since return from that repair. It seems to be getting louder over time. Has anyone actually had their LPFP fail as a result? TIA
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 09:33 PM   #76
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

At over 3,200kms, unfortunately the 'whining' noise has come back. Now instead of an 'on and off' sound, it is a low constant noise at idle and at low throttle (I wonder if it's always there when the engine is on, just that when at high throttle the engine noise blocks out this 'whining' noise?).

Anyway, I'm wondering if members have a permanent fix for this...I know Roadstergal replaced hers and it seems fine now, but I think she is not going below 1/4 tank just to be safe? Is there anyone else w/ this issue resolved? Thx.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 10:06 PM   #77
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

as a rule of thumb, regardless of car, i never let it go under a quarter tank. and i don't baby my car, i beat it into submission every chance i get, that cleans all the build up in the engine. all my cars have never failed for the length of time i've held them. i'm not saying scratch it and slam the wheels on curbs and doors on other cars...
      08-25-2010, 11:02 PM   #78
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dinan S3 Z4-35i

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
At over 3,200kms, unfortunately the 'whining' noise has come back. Now instead of an 'on and off' sound, it is a low constant noise at idle and at low throttle (I wonder if it's always there when the engine is on, just that when at high throttle the engine noise blocks out this 'whining' noise?).

Anyway, I'm wondering if members have a permanent fix for this...I know Roadstergal replaced hers and it seems fine now, but I think she is not going below 1/4 tank just to be safe? Is there anyone else w/ this issue resolved? Thx.
Mine is resolved, but it also took an entire tank replacement and I still wait until I am below 30 miles left on gas. I've gone as low as 8 miles at one point. I know I heard it is not good to drive it that low. I think I just hate going to the gas station..... I wish they made the tanks a little bigger.
      08-25-2010, 11:45 PM   #79
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flpnout View Post
Mine is resolved, but it also took an entire tank replacement and I still wait until I am below 30 miles left on gas. I've gone as low as 8 miles at one point. I know I heard it is not good to drive it that low. I think I just hate going to the gas station..... I wish they made the tanks a little bigger.
I'm glad to hear you got some resolution on it. Seems I remember you were pretty upset with you Z so maybe you feel better about it?
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 11:59 PM   #80
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
I'm glad to hear you got some resolution on it. Seems I remember you were pretty upset with you Z so maybe you feel better about it?
Haha. Yeah I feel better now, therefore I cancelled the M3 order....lol

Time to continue my planned mods..... Thanks for asking!
      08-26-2010, 12:03 AM   #81
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
as a rule of thumb, regardless of car, i never let it go under a quarter tank. and i don't baby my car, i beat it into submission every chance i get, that cleans all the build up in the engine. all my cars have never failed for the length of time i've held them. i'm not saying scratch it and slam the wheels on curbs and doors on other cars...
Ya, I never let it go below 1/4 either...well, maybe once it was a bit below 1/4 before I filled up. Still, the noise comes whether I'm full or 1/2. It's a bit aggravating.

Quote:
Wow, that's good to know! What exactly was your prb...the LPFP or the tank as well?

Quote:
Haha. Yeah I feel better now, therefore I cancelled the M3 order....lol

Time to continue my planned mods..... Thanks for asking!
You came back to your senses lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 12:07 AM   #82
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
Yeah but my sales man insisted on keeping the order.....He is betting that once I see it, I will want the M3 especially in the new Mineral White ZCP package. They never took a deposit since they know I go through so many....lol I've been told many times that the Z4 looks best and I should stick with it. Besides, I would miss the low end torque if I did. The Z4 is a handful and a blast to drive.

Last edited by flpnout; 08-26-2010 at 12:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 12:13 AM   #83
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yeah but my sales man insisted on keeping the order.....He is betting that once I see it, I will want the M3 especially in the new Mineral White ZCP package. They never took a deposit since they know I go through so many....lol I've been told many times that the Z4 looks best and I should stick with it. Besides, I would miss the low end torque a lot!!
Depends what you want. The Z4 is the best looking BMW imo right now. The M3 looks very powerful but is 'just' the top-of-the-line 3-series.

Btw, how did your service ctr diagnose your noise tank prb? Did they have to drive it or just let it run on idle? I guess they replaced the WHOLE tank, including the LPFP and everything else inside?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 12:15 AM   #84
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
Quote:
Wow, that's good to know! What exactly was your prb...the LPFP or the tank as well?
Yup LPFP, changed out in tank fuel pump, then the entire fuel tank.
      08-26-2010, 12:24 AM   #85
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
Quote:
Depends what you want. The Z4 is the best looking BMW imo right now. The M3 looks very powerful but is 'just' the top-of-the-line 3-series.

Btw, how did your service ctr diagnose your noise tank prb? Did they have to drive it or just let it run on idle? I guess they replaced the WHOLE tank, including the LPFP and everything else inside?
The shop foreman got in my car, listen to the idle, heard the hum, then drove it to another Z4 on the lot and compared the noise. He agreed that it was NOT normal. So they changed out the LPFP. After I picked it up and drove home, noise came back. Brought it back in and they recommended to change entire fuel tank. And that seems to have taken care of the problem so far.

Last edited by flpnout; 08-26-2010 at 12:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 12:39 AM   #86
m999psw
Rep
Drives: 35i

Hi,
I have had the software updated now which included a mod for the LPFP and to my and the managers surprise the noise has gone. Fingers crossed it stays that way.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 10:50 AM   #87
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m999psw View Post
Hi,
I have had the software updated now which included a mod for the LPFP and to my and the managers surprise the noise has gone. Fingers crossed it stays that way.
Did you mean a software update for the LPFP or an actual replacement?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 12:52 AM   #88
m999psw
Rep
Drives: 35i

A software upidate only.
Appreciate 0