New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-21-2018, 01:14 PM   #1
Vetracr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW Z4 3.0

Engine power loss

I have tracked my car and use track addict to log my lap times. I have been confused by the fact that my early laps are faster than my later ones. You would expect the opposite, i.e., cold brakes and tires. I just found out the reason. BMW reduces engine power as the water and oil temperature go up. For coolant the power reduction starts at 117 degrees C water temp and stops at a 10% reduction in power at 124 degrees C. At that temperature engine will only make 90% of power. The same reduction occurs for oil temperature. Power reduction starts at 148 degrees C oil temp and reduces power until 10% reduction is reached at 157 degrees C. Every new BMW I know runs hotter oil temps than 157 degrees C when on the track. I reach 165 degrees C all the time. That means I'm only running 90% power when I'm at the track. Has anyone else discovered this problem and if so, what have you done about it?
Appreciate 0