New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-14-2018, 11:47 PM   #1
ray7792
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 35is

Ebay JCS CF lip spoiler and Ikon front lip review

Bored and drunk so just going to post about the lip spoiler and front lip I purchased off of ebay the other day. Haven't seen any other post like it really so maybe it'd help someone.

Rear carbon fiber lip spoiler was from jcsportline user on ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-09-16-...53.m1438.l2649

Would definitely recommend this one, fitment was perfect, carbon fiber weaves look good. It came with 3M double sided tape already on it and it literally took like 5 minutes to measure and install.
I did however add a few more pieces of 3M towards the middle section. Up to your taste whether you like it or not. I think a debadged Z4 looks too plain so I got it.
Album:
View post on imgur.com

The CF front lip was purchased from ikonmotorsports user on ebay. They are pretty popular as far as "ebay" goes but wow do I regret it...
Link is: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-09-16-...53.m1438.l2649

The lip itself was packaged very tightly screwing up the fitment badly.
It took about 2 hours with a heat gun to mold it back to an acceptable shape.
There was zero hardware & instructions, only thing it came with was the lip.
The whole piece was not carbon fiber to be expected. Even after all the heatgun work, the middle section did not fit perfectly as you can see from the pictures below. The sides were surprisingly good.

I had to use my own nut and bolt and a drill bit to make the wholes to install. Only the very outer edge used the factor clip. I also put some pieces of 3m Tape on the middle section.

Fitment was terrible, no hardware and instructions. I would not recommend ikonmotorsports. I got it during ebay sale for 320 but normally it is 400, I'd go with another ebay brand if you have to.
Album:
View post on imgur.com

Gaps even with lots of molding and heatgun. Due to bending it to fit, the carbon fiber teared a bit...

Just glad the side fitment was spot on, no gaps

Side shot of z4 35is with front lip and rear lip spoiler

How do I post the pictures with smaller resolution for the post but full size in link?

Cheers!
Appreciate 1
Tangent296.00
      06-20-2018, 02:29 PM   #2
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Thanks the spoiler looks good and for 160 it is tough to pass up. Now if we could only find a good lip/side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 11:13 AM   #3
Kessler35is
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15 50i, 2016 E89 35is

Garage List
2016 Z4 35is  [0.00]
2015 X5 50i  [0.00]
I popped my lower grille out and did a matte black wrap in that area to hide the white. I put the wrap behind and around the edge where that grille snaps in to hide all the body color.

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 07:31 AM   #4
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

Looks better now....
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 08:51 PM   #5
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Atacama Yellow 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessler35is View Post
I popped my lower grille out and did a matte black wrap in that area to hide the white. I put the wrap behind and around the edge where that grille snaps in to hide all the body color.
This is on point. I have the Ikon Motorsport CF front splitter. It is not sold with hardware, nor do they state hardware is included. This should help make a good installation:
  • Set the CF spoiler out in the sun and heat for a few hours and let it warm up. A heat gun or hair dryer will help.
  • Where the front center grill meets the lower center painted part of the bumper, put down black electrical tape from edge to edge. Then run black electrical tape on each end from the grill forward along the edge of the opening. When you slide the CF spoiler on , the center section edge will sit along these three pieces of tape.
  • Now first dry fit the spoiler so you get an understanding of how it fits:
  • When you install the spoiler, make sure the outside edges slide all the way back to the front wheel opening. You'll note the CF spoiler rear edge has a bump-up lip that sits just inside the fender opening.
  • Note the spoiler has holes toward the rear right and left side, with an indent, that correspond to a fender liner screw. Remove that screw from the car on either side. You'll reinstall the screw once the CF spoiler is mounted.
  • You will need to drill holes to screw the spoiler to the bumper. You can use push pins but I highly recommend instead using BMW fender trim screws (p/n 07147129160). These are commonly used on BMW inner fender liners and underbody moldings.
  • Now once you have located the bumper and are comfortable with the install, time to actually do it.
  • Push the spoiler in place. Install the two factory screws back at either indentation toward the rear of the CF spoiler in front of each fender well.
  • Make sure the CF spoiler is pressed all the way on the front center of the bumper.
  • Now drill the holes for the screws. I don't recall if the spoiler comes with screw holes (it's been a while). If not, you will drill so that you go through the plastic bottom side of the bumper. Drill a hole smaller than the screw. If the CF spoiler didn't have holes, do this about every 6-8". Also if the spoiler didn't have holes, once you have drilled the screw hole get a drill bit slightly larger than the screw body, pull the CF spoiler slightly away from the bumper body, and drill the CF splitter holes slightly larger. You want the screw to catch the bumper and pull the CF spoiler to it with the trim washer. If the screw catches both surfaces, it can not pull one side to the other. Screw the CF spoiler on and you are done.

This may not be a perfect description, but it should help.

Filippo

Last edited by fmorelli; 07-17-2018 at 06:50 AM..
Appreciate 1
Tangent296.00