New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-28-2021, 02:02 PM   #23
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
I don't print frequently enough to keep inkjet cartridges from drying out between prints. It's only lasers for me.

We had a few Brother B&W lasers, the last being a fax/scanner/copier. They were relatively painless to own.

I replaced the last one with a color Xerox laser fax/scan/copier with network printing. Xerox has since gone out of the home/soho printer business, but this thing just keeps on chugging along and third-party toner cartridges are cheap enough. My only fear is that the printer will fail at some point, because I can't buy another one!!!!!
Xerox going out of the home/soho business was good because all their products were $hit. I bought one of their multifunction color lasers and it was an absolute nightmare. Xerox eventually threw their hands up and said they couldn't fix the problem. Thankfully NewEgg was good about taking the printer back and paying for the return shipping. This happened with less than 30 days of owning the printer. The tech I spoke to from Xerox said even though the printer has Phaser on it, it's nothing like the Phaser printers I know from back when they were Tektronics.

Even the "real" Phaser printers were giving me problems. I had an 8560 which uses those solid ink sticks. After a few years, the motherboard took a dump on me and it wasn't worth repairing due to the cost of the repair. So I got the new at the time 8700. Just after a year, the motherboard developed a problem which required replacement. Thankfully, I bought the printer with my AMEX card. They extended the warranty an extra year. AMEX paid the $900 repair bill to fix the motherboard. I talked to the place I bought the printer from about my issue. He said he was so pissed at Xerox that he's not going to sell them anymore. As he had a large customer with the same printer had a large number of them fail. He had to go in and rip out all the printers and replace them with an equivalent to keep the customer happy.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 07:41 PM   #24
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
I am extremely happy with our (discontinued) Xerox WorkCentre 6027. No streaks, no jams, and even holds up to my DW feeding it shipping labels for eBay stuff. It also supports AirPrint from Apple phones/tablets out of the box.....
      10-28-2021, 08:39 PM   #25
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
HP Color LaserJet Pro M478f-9f

Great printer and scanner. Not sure about fax.
Appreciate 1
rebekahb3128.50
      10-28-2021, 09:56 PM   #26
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

I would def recommend a laser for the fact that they don't run out of ink as fast as inkjets, better quality printing, etc.
Appreciate 3
rebekahb3128.50
vreihen1614889.50
      10-29-2021, 12:14 AM   #27
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
I would def recommend a laser for the fact that they don't run out of ink as fast as inkjets, better quality printing, etc.
My issue was not running out of ink, it was having it dry out if you haven't used it for a while.

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 2
vreihen1614889.50
      10-29-2021, 01:29 PM   #28
VChenz
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 Base

Another vote for brother. I just swapped out the original laser cartridge on my ten year old unit about a year ago with a generic one from amazon and it still works beautifully. Its a bit old so driver issues have come up occasionally as windows continues to advance so I may need a new one when windows 11 installs.
Appreciate 1
rebekahb3128.50
      10-29-2021, 04:30 PM   #29
E92 M Sport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82

I have the HP 6970. I’ve come close to smashing it several times. When it works it’s okay, but scanning to pc never works right, I always have to do usb which is a pita. I was considering a Brother as others have said. The last straw was I tried https://www.ldproducts.com/ for the cartridges and so far it’s been ok. Much cheaper than HP, just don’t so a software update cause it will stop working with aftermarket cartridges.

I’ve also had a couple of Epsons and have had enough of their shit also. Good luck!
      11-01-2021, 10:57 AM   #30
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Don't even consider HP. These days, it shouldn't take upwards of 10 minutes to install a printer. HP has so much bloat in theirs, I hate installing those things.

Check out Lexmark. I'm only getting small office laser printers, not MFP, but they work great and are simple to install.
Appreciate 2
rebekahb3128.50
vreihen1614889.50
      11-01-2021, 11:00 AM   #31
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Don't even consider HP. These days, it shouldn't take upwards of 10 minutes to install a printer. HP has so much bloat in theirs, I hate installing those things.

Check out Lexmark. I'm only getting small office laser printers, not MFP, but they work great and are simple to install.
I have a Lexmark CX510de MFP which I replaced the Xerox 8700 with. Been very happy with it with the exception that the document feeder can get testy at times. I think it's more due to the rubber rollers drying out as I don't regularly use the feeder.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 11:11 AM   #32
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Okay rebekahb , don't leave us all hanging. What did you end up deciding on?
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614889.50
      11-01-2021, 12:46 PM   #33
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Okay rebekahb , don't leave us all hanging. What did you end up deciding on?
Going to Staples or Kinkos whenever she needs to print something.....
TiMSport12786.50
      11-01-2021, 01:09 PM   #34
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Yep. She heard their laser printers work well.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 10:24 AM   #35
DenverSteve
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW

Every brand makes different levels of printers. Consequently, every maker makes great and less-great printers. You all (mostly) drive $40,000 - and up - cars so why cheap out and buy a $100 printer? If you need a printer get a good one. I stay away from ink printers for the same reasons already listed. Laser is best to me. Also, since FAXing requires a landline and inferior quality since everything is resized while faxing, I see almost no reason for anyone to not simply scan and email. The smaller and lightweight your printer is means it's likely more lightly built and won't last as long. I've had an HP Laser Jet Pro 200 for almost a decade and it has outlasted every other lightweight, small printer I've purchased since.

I only buy quality printers because, in the end, they cost less money, time and headache.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 10:28 AM   #36
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Another fan of my brother laser. I ditched color since Im just not doing it and was constantly having the inkjets dry out since I am never printing. Im still on the OG toner cartridge on my brother.

I dont recall the exact model but I got a compact wifi MFD and its been great. The nice thing is its compatible with google/hp cloud print so I have had no issues printing from my phone (emails, confirmation pages, etc).
Appreciate 1
rebekahb3128.50
      11-03-2021, 10:58 AM   #37
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Every brand makes different levels of printers. Consequently, every maker makes great and less-great printers. You all (mostly) drive $40,000 - and up - cars so why cheap out and buy a $100 printer? If you need a printer get a good one. I stay away from ink printers for the same reasons already listed. Laser is best to me. Also, since FAXing requires a landline and inferior quality since everything is resized while faxing, I see almost no reason for anyone to not simply scan and email. The smaller and lightweight your printer is means it's likely more lightly built and won't last as long. I've had an HP Laser Jet Pro 200 for almost a decade and it has outlasted every other lightweight, small printer I've purchased since.

I only buy quality printers because, in the end, they cost less money, time and headache.
I'll be that guy and say I still Fax. While there's no guarantee that I'm doing a point to point Fax I have a bit more assurance it's a) not going over a entirely insecure network called the Internet, and b) there are no residuals of any scanned files sitting on some server out there. For some documents where it doesn't contain a lot of sensitive data, sure I'll email those. But for documents where there is a ton of PII, no way am I'm emailing that even if it's in a scanned PDF form. And to encrypt that file would require both sides to have said encrypting software and sharing a passphrase or private key.

As to buying more quality printers, in general, yes this would normally lead to less headaches. But in my case I purchased two Xerox printers which were over $1800 and both gave me problems. Granted the first one was a few years after purchase. The second one was just over a year which required a motherboard replacement to the tune of $900.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 11:01 AM   #38
DenverSteve
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I'll be that guy and say I still Fax. While there's no guarantee that I'm doing a point to point Fax I have a bit more assurance it's a) not going over a entirely insecure network called the Internet, and b) there are no residuals of any scanned files sitting on some server out there. ........
While I agree with your logic - unfortunately, many (maybe most) fax transmissions now are captured by the recipient's computer......... where is sits on the server until utilized.......
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 11:21 AM   #39
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
While I agree with your logic - unfortunately, many (maybe most) fax transmissions now are captured by the recipient's computer......... where is sits on the server until utilized.......
Where I have a bit more trust than many of the email services out there. The recipient is going to be handling my PII data anyways so I have to trust their servers are in line with the regulatory standards bound to them having access to my data. ISP and the various email servers out there are not bound by those same standards.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 11:36 AM   #40
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:

Hell to the no! Definitely not an option
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614889.50
      11-03-2021, 11:45 AM   #41
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
We have to use fax BUT once the sender faxes it goes straight to our (recipient's) computer. I really wish we could get away from faxing. It's to much to explain why I need it but it's not a deal breaker.

Based on everyone's responses I plan to go with a laser and leaning towards Brother. I haven't had the time to sit down and see what's available. Plan on doing that either later today or Friday.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 11:46 AM   #42
translux
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Manual

ATM there are tons of low hour business printers available at ridiculously low prices. Do a Google search in your area as I’d recommend checking it out in person. Konica Minolta are IMHO the best you can buy.
https://kmbs.konicaminolta.us/kmbs/technology/printers
Notable-Giulia QV, MK7 Golf R man,991 Turbo,CTS-V3, CTS-V2 man Speed INC. build, E60 M5 SMG, E46 M3 ZCP man, E39 M5, E39 540 man, Porsche Cayenne Turbo EVOMS build, EVO X AMS build, Blobeye STI, 83’ RX-7 built by Alan Jackson racing, Volvo 164e
Appreciate 1
rebekahb3128.50
      11-03-2021, 12:17 PM   #43
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
We have to use fax BUT once the sender faxes it goes straight to our (recipient's) computer. I really wish we could get away from faxing. It's to much to explain why I need it but it's not a deal breaker.

Based on everyone's responses I plan to go with a laser and leaning towards Brother. I haven't had the time to sit down and see what's available. Plan on doing that either later today or Friday.
I looked into a Brother MFP. It's ridiculous now. The listings on Amazon as an example are showing them at almost twice the cost of the MSRP. Most other places are showing them out of stock. Another issue with this supply chain debacle.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 12:28 PM   #44
DenverSteve
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I..The listings on Amazon as an example are showing them at almost twice the cost of the MSRP. Most other places are showing them out of stock. Another issue with this supply chain debacle.
Just had to purchase another printer for the office and found the same thing. Not one brand - but all of them seem to have doubled.
Appreciate 0