New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-09-2021, 01:47 AM   #67
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Speed limits don't exist on private roads.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2021, 03:20 AM   #68
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnny View Post
Semi trucks / commercial trucks are not allowed on the road until after 6pm on the autobahn,
Where did you get that idea?!?

Do you think a busy economy like the one in Germany could even function with such a strange rule?

The time constrictions for lorries on the autobahn that are in place are only for sunday's and specific holidays. Probably set in place (in the 50's I believe) for partially for religion reasons, partially resting reasons, and they aren't applicable for all lorries (for instance not for fresh products transport amongst others), and I think some saturdays in the sommer to relieve the vacation traffic jams.

see: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wochenendfahrverbot
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 08-09-2021 at 03:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 08:33 PM   #69
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnny View Post
There's a big difference in mentality between European/German folk vs US / Canadian people. The people in North America are more immature and tend to do more stunts than those in Europe. And another thing preventing an Auto Bahn over here is economy cars. It is dangerous to have an speed optional highway without prohibiting vehicles that cannot achieve accelleration in appropriate time.

I do agree though that speed doesn't kill, because those who are speeding excessively are 99.9% of the time paying complete and absolute attention to the road.

In my city recently got out of a traffic jam, 70+ cars stopped on along a drive, one side of the street closed down for pedestrians and people on scooters/bikes. One singular person riding a pay-scooter down the side that could have allowed better traffic flow. More fumes due to stopped cars, but the city seems to think its more environmentally friendly :lol
Same thing in London UK, they completely screwed up some roundabouts, caused havoc/increased traffic and they still go on about reducing emissions 🤦

Bunch of morons running the country.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 11:44 AM   #70
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Perhaps the OP's topic should be altered slightly to, "Why are cars built to go fast."

Answer: To test your self-control and maturity.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 02:00 PM   #71
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Cars are getting faster while speed limits remain the same. In Palo Alto there’s a road that is so long yet the speed limit is 25 mph; nobody goes 25mph. I don’t have an issue with cars being able to go much faster than speed limit. What I have an issue with is speed limits not keeping up with the times. I do understand that if we have unlimited speeds like the autobahn, there will be idiots who drive recklessly. Don’t know if it’s just an American mentality vs German’s or if we simply should make a DL much harder to get.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 03:15 PM   #72
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Cars are getting faster while speed limits remain the same. In Palo Alto there’s a road that is so long yet the speed limit is 25 mph; nobody goes 25mph. I don’t have an issue with cars being able to go much faster than speed limit. What I have an issue with is speed limits not keeping up with the times. I do understand that if we have unlimited speeds like the autobahn, there will be idiots who drive recklessly. Don’t know if it’s just an American mentality vs German’s or if we simply should make a DL much harder to get.
The biggest difference driving here in the states and other countries is - common courtesy. Autobahn works because the majority of people know you pass on the left slower cars on the right, if you driving miss Daisy, stay the fuck out of the far left lane. It's just done.

Not here though. Sweet Jesus it's like a fight to the death. Don't matter if someone's in the fast lane going 55 in a 75, they won't get out your way for shit.

Majority of our country can't even circumnavigate around a fucking round a bout, lol.
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2021, 04:04 PM   #73
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
The biggest difference driving here in the states and other countries is - common courtesy. Autobahn works because the majority of people know you pass on the left slower cars on the right, if you driving miss Daisy, stay the fuck out of the far left lane. It's just done.

Not here though. Sweet Jesus it's like a fight to the death. Don't matter if someone's in the fast lane going 55 in a 75, they won't get out your way for shit.

Majority of our country can't even circumnavigate around a fucking round a bout, lol.
The best is people merging onto a highway and STOP at the end of the ramp to wait for traffic to clear before getting on to a highway.

Everyone and their dead grandma is able to get a license here in the states. There's so many people who have no business operating a vehicle.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2021, 04:14 PM   #74
Pauldunlop13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

I feel that speed isn't the problem - speed differential is the dangerous part

when everyone is rolling at the same speed = whether 5-10 miles over the limit or at the set limit - there are few issues

when one person is going 15-30 miles faster than everyone else - that is when the drama starts
2016 228Xi - 2017-2018
2003 Acura RSX Type S 2003-2017
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 05:02 PM   #75
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauldunlop13 View Post
I feel that speed isn't the problem - speed differential is the dangerous part

when everyone is rolling at the same speed = whether 5-10 miles over the limit or at the set limit - there are few issues

when one person is going 15-30 miles faster than everyone else - that is when the drama starts
It's funny you say that. Studies show its the slower than the flow of traffic vehicles that cause the majority of accidents. The other moving at pace vehicles have to go AROUND the slower moving vehicle and that leads to accidents.

Obviously not every time but more often than not. Doesn't explain the airborne f80 as he's leaving cars and coffee.
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2021, 06:26 PM   #76
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Because Race Car!

This was my drive home from work, just needed 1 exit on the Autobahn to reach the 168mph limit on my previous M2. Perfectly legal in Germany. Why not in any other civilized country?

2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 06:32 PM   #77
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Because Race Car!

This was my drive home from work, just needed 1 exit on the Autobahn to reach the 168mph limit on my previous M2. Perfectly legal in Germany. Why not in any other civilized country?

Well, you see how all the slower cars are on the right? It doesn't work like that everywhere 😂

Two places come to mind immediately. Egypt and Mexico. Go drive there and tell me if it's even possible to go 60 mph on their roads let alone max speed, lol. They have no laws they drive anywhere in any direction at any given time. Nobody knows left is to pass right is for slower moving traffic. The street might be 2-3 lanes but there will be 4-6 cars crammed into a 2-3 lane road.

Okay fine, not as developed all over (and yes, plenty of places in these countries that are developed but not everywhere) like Germany, Canada, US et all. Same thing. You see how the slower moving traffic was in the right lane? Yeah not in North America nor will they get out your way.

However, I am super envious of your roads and no limits.
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      09-01-2021, 06:39 PM   #78
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif2018 View Post
Contrary to popular belief speed kills, that is not necessarily true, its inappropriate use of speed at the wrong place/time that kills.
Its not the speed that'll kill ya, its the sudden stop at the end.
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2021, 06:46 PM   #79
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:

100%. Just so many things like people speeding the fck out of parking lots and cut off traffic only to slow down right after. Or assholes cutting off merging lanes last minute even though they are a few cars back. Or people not knowing where they want to go and just going from left to right across a few lanes without signaling. And of course the going 55mph on the freeway and not moving out of the way despite all the cars having to go around them.
Appreciate 2
shoei7779.00
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      09-01-2021, 07:10 PM   #80
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Well, you see how all the slower cars are on the right? It doesn't work like that everywhere 😂

Two places come to mind immediately. Egypt and Mexico. Go drive there and tell me if it's even possible to go 60 mph on their roads let alone max speed, lol. They have no laws they drive anywhere in any direction at any given time. Nobody knows left is to pass right is for slower moving traffic. The street might be 2-3 lanes but there will be 4-6 cars crammed into a 2-3 lane road.

Okay fine, not as developed all over (and yes, plenty of places in these countries that are developed but not everywhere) like Germany, Canada, US et all. Same thing. You see how the slower moving traffic was in the right lane? Yeah not in North America nor will they get out your way.

Quote:
100%. Just so many things like people speeding the fck out of parking lots and cut off traffic only to slow down right after. Or assholes cutting off merging lanes last minute even though they are a few cars back. Or people not knowing where they want to go and just going from left to right across a few lanes without signaling. And of course the going 55mph on the freeway and not moving out of the way despite all the cars having to go around them.
I'm back in the States now after spending a few years in Germany. The biggest reverse culture shock was how unpredictable the drivers here are, and how less than half of the population will get out of the left lane!

It drives me nuts. People can't be bothered to check their mirrors, move over, use blinkers, look both ways before turning and such. But as soon as you try a zipper merge, they are guaranteed to accelerate and not let you.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 3
shoei7779.00
3.0L8923.00
Dang3r12508.50
      09-01-2021, 07:14 PM   #81
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Quote:

Quote:
I'm back in the States now after spending a few years in Germany. The biggest reverse culture shock was how unpredictable the drivers here are, and how less than half of the population will get out of the left lane!

It drives me nuts. People can't be bothered to check their mirrors, move over, use blinkers, look both ways before turning and such. But as soon as you try a zipper merge, they are guaranteed to accelerate and not let you.
Yeah it's that whole - I know I was only going 50 in a 65 but I can't have you going faster than me, no sir, my insecurities will not allow that to happen!! Not today, BMW!! Not today!!!

Seems the be the mentality in North America on the roads unfortunately. But this is why we can't have nice things here.
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      09-01-2021, 09:09 PM   #82
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemansE90335xi View Post
My question is why are speed limits so low? And in a lot of towns and cities they are being lowered even more.
Women.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 02:21 AM   #83
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Over here it's old codgers in small cars that poodle along who might as well remove the rear view mirror as they never use it.
Appreciate 1
shoei7779.00
      09-02-2021, 02:48 AM   #84
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Over here it's old codgers in small cars that poodle along who might as well remove the rear view mirror as they never use it.
To be entirely fair, I'm sure that when they started driving cars that didn't have side view mirrors or seatbelts.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick59523.00
      09-02-2021, 07:55 AM   #85
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC, '14 X1 35i M sport

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:

I've driven well above 60mph within a 2hour radius of Mexico City and it was not significantly different from US, Canada, or most of Europe.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 08:03 AM   #86
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Merica.
      09-02-2021, 04:48 PM   #87
Pauldunlop13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

Quote:
It's funny you say that. Studies show its the slower than the flow of traffic vehicles that cause the majority of accidents. The other moving at pace vehicles have to go AROUND the slower moving vehicle and that leads to accidents.

Obviously not every time but more often than not. Doesn't explain the airborne f80 as he's leaving cars and coffee.
I totally agree - left this slow part out - everyone who drives too slow in the passing lane, causes the people behind to do 2 lane changes that they shouldn't need to
2016 228Xi - 2017-2018
2003 Acura RSX Type S 2003-2017
Appreciate 1
shoei7779.00
      09-02-2021, 04:50 PM   #88
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote: