New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-08-2020, 02:07 AM   #1
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

My current project - iDrive retrofit

OK so my latest project is to retrofit OEM iDrive into my Z4 - Why? Because I can (hopefully)

History;
There are a few options for the sound system on an e89. When I bought mine it had the most basic version installed, base stereo without USB or Bluetooh and only 6 speakers. I've never heard anything so dire, it truly is an injustice for BMW to sell a quality car with such a weak sound system in it, but I digress…. anyway not long after I bought him (the car was named Bryan by it's previous owner and I saw no reason to change it! ) I found out I could change the headunit for something that was OEM but also had Bluetooth and USB control, as I had an iPod then this was ideal. Long story short, I learnt how to code it in, got all of the components and installed it. Upside was that not only did I now have the added Bluetooh and USB control but the sound quality was massively improved as well. I also installed a pair of tweeters in the door pods to bring it up to an 8 speaker package. But at the end of the day I always fancied an iDrive system, but was told it would be expensive and complicated to code in, in fact some parts of the coding were exspensive due to an item of equipment called an ICOM.

About 2 years ago I learnt of the Android system for other models of the BMW range just as the version for the non-iDrive e90 3series had come out. So I started thinking if it could be installed in our E89's. I contacted the company and started talking to them about it. A year late the E89 version was released and I arranged to have one shipped to the UK so I could install it and test it out. Long story short (again) I love it, does what I want it to do, it's well built and works (even though some sceptics said it wouldn't last 3 months!!).
But I'd still like an OEM iDrive, so I've been thinking, and this is what I've come up with following a lot of research....

Install iDrive headunit
Fit LVDS cable to Android screen
Install OEM iDrive controller in place of Android copy controller
Install MULF2 unit for Bluetooth (+ Bluetooth antenna), AUX & USB inputs (not bothered about a Combox as I don't need multimedia or Bluetooth streaming options, this would also require an ICOM to code it in)
Emulator adaptor loom
GPS antenna
DAB antenna
Glovebox USB socket and cable

OK so I've got all of those parts now plus some wiring to go with it, then I discovered that the headunit mounting cage for the iDrive unit is different from the normal headunit, now I needed to find one of those.... part number search = nothing listed, it's part of a full dash assembly. Looking at used dash assemblies for sale showed that none of them had this bit included, so I've contacted a few breakers around and have located one in Lithuania which I should now have in a couple of weeks time.

I managed to get hold of a CIC MID headunit which isn't the one for the E89 as it only does the 6.5" screen and doesn't have the HDD, not a problem and considering how little it cost me it was worth a punt!
I also got hold of the iDrive controller from a later NBT vehicle so it didn't work (I was lead to believe that it was a CIC version!), but I've now managed to get hold of a proper one for the CIC (I have noticed though that the quality has dropped in later production, the feel was nowhere near as good as the CIC older one!)

So I've installed the MULF and Bluetooth antenna above the glovebox rather than having the MULF in the boot as it's easier and there is room to mount it there. The iDrive controller is mounted where it should be and has had the proper wiring plug fitted for it. MOST fibre optic cables have been installed along with the wiring into the MULF.

So I've done some coding to remove the old headunit code and add in the new CIC one and I've done a test installation (can't fully install it as I don't have the cage yet) which was very good. Headunit integrates with the Android screen as it should (although only 2/3 of the screen to the left are used for the CIC, which is not a major problem) and I have full control of both the iDrive and Android screens with the iDrive controller and steering wheel buttons. Radio works, DAB works, NAV works (once I'd been out for a drive round), AUX and USB works (which means the MOST is picking up from the MULF) but what doesn't work (at the moment at least) is the Bluetooth. It's coded in, I've change the VIN in the MULF to match the car and that is now showing up, so my software is able to see and talk to it, but I just can't get the Bluetooth to actually work

I'll add to this thread as I go along with the rest of the installation and the Bluetooth issues.

This is the 2/3 screen view

And the OEM iDrive controller

And cutting the plug into the Android controller loom

And making it look OEM

OK, and an update (as I originally posted this on the UK forum a few days ago).....

So the project is getting there, slowly but it's getting there
So the damaged Z4 is now in Lithuania and I'm now just waiting on info about the headunit cage. ** 08/07/20 ** Cage now posted to the UK!

The OEM iDrive controller..... Alas I missed out on the last e89 controller on eBay the other week so I got hold of an e90 version instead. The only difference between them is the bracket that it's screwed to the centre console with, and that comes off, so I ordered the proper e89 bracket and it finally arrived yesterday. Now it looks perfect in it's proper place The bracket cost me £18 delivered and the e90 controller cost £75 so not too bad considering the average price of the e89 version is £100.

And I've managed to get hold of the e89 flip-up screen, for FREE
Alas, so far it's not displaying anything, it glows, but doesn't flip up or show anything on it, so something to investigate. If I get it to work then I may take this project in a slightly different direction

Still no joy with the bluetooth working though, so that is also still under investigation.

Next thing is I'm going to list the current (wrong) headunit on eBay and then get hold of the proper one for the e89, might as well have the correct headunit, especially if I do go with the flip-up screen.

That's it for now, hopefully some more progress soon
Attached Images

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 02:26 PM   #2
Z3r0
Rep
Drives: 2010 E89 Z4 35is

Congrats for the big job!
Interresting to see your effort in that direction, as I'm precisely going away from my iDrive.
I don't have the Combox, so no bluetooth nor album covers...

I like the "vanilla" and OEM style, but to me the Navi is clearly outdated, and my main motivation was to get Waze on a real screen (bored of sticking my phone on the air vent).

So I juste installed last week a freshly received Android 10 Head Unit, and I'm pretty happy with it

But yeah...no flip screen anymore...

For your info, there is a 4-pin wire at the back of the screen, to control the motor I guess. Video signal is handled through the LVDS connector I think.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 03:31 AM   #3
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3r0 View Post
Congrats for the big job!
Interresting to see your effort in that direction, as I'm precisely going away from my iDrive.
I don't have the Combox, so no bluetooth nor album covers...

I like the "vanilla" and OEM style, but to me the Navi is clearly outdated, and my main motivation was to get Waze on a real screen (bored of sticking my phone on the air vent).

So I juste installed last week a freshly received Android 10 Head Unit, and I'm pretty happy with it

But yeah...no flip screen anymore...

For your info, there is a 4-pin wire at the back of the screen, to control the motor I guess. Video signal is handled through the LVDS connector I think.
It's going to be an interesting project, but I'm sure I'll be happy with it in the end

Did you go with the add-on Android screen on top of the dash? Or did you replace the actual headunit?

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 03:37 AM   #4
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

OK a quick update;

The cage is arriving today.
And I've ordered the headunit for the e89 which should also be arriving today.

I've bitten the bullet and have sold my Android screen and bought an OEM flip-up screen and have also ordered the add-on box for CarPLay / Android Auto so I'll have the new features that I actually use and then everything else will look OEM.

I'm also probably going to have to get an ICOM to get the bluetooth working properly, but we'll see.

That's it for now, I'll post some pictures when the new items are here

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 09:09 AM   #5
HelixFish
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 sDrive 28i

What CarPlay adapter did you order? I see many available and the one on AliExpress is about half the cost or less than other options. I’d like to do the CarPlay mod also.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 09:32 AM   #6
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelixFish View Post
What CarPlay adapter did you order? I see many available and the one on AliExpress is about half the cost or less than other options. I’d like to do the CarPlay mod also.
This is the one I went with, from AliExpress. I asked quite a few questions before buying and they even sent me the instructions as well (not that they are difficult to fit) so everything seemed fine, time will tell.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001...38904c4dTo0Cnq

As you say they are half the price of the normal ones already in your own country (most countries have local distributers). There is a UK seller who is selling this item (looks and works identical) but something about their company description and that when asked about operation couldn't even answer the simplest of questions put me off them. Most localised sellers want around the £500 mark for what is essentially the same box, so I'm saving a huge chunk here, and the seller says I'll have it in about 2 weeks so I can survive that long

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 02:37 PM   #7
HelixFish
United_States
Rep

Ah cool, that’s exactly the one I was looking at. I just need to check if I have the cic or nbt and then I’ll order.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 04:34 AM   #8
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ah cool, that’s exactly the one I was looking at. I just need to check if I have the cic or nbt and then I’ll order.
I am not aware of any e89 that had NBT, to the best of my knowledge they all had CIC right up until end of production in 2016.
In fact I've just bought the screen for mine and it is a week 24 of 2015 and it is just the same connections as all previous years, ie; 4 pin LVDS

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 03:25 PM   #9
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Right so everything is now here, and I went for a test fitting this morning.

TheNew (correct) headunit...

The new screen...

and the new cage...

And then the test fitting....

So everything went well. It's a Japanese imported headunit, but that doesn't matter as as soon as I coded it to the car it changed over to ECE (Europe).
So Saturday morning I'll be fully installing it and videoing everything ready for my YouTube channel.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 09:28 AM   #10
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Well after a few hours work yesterday I managed to fully install the full iDrive system

I'd already installed the MULF and Bluetooth antenna a couple of weeks ago for testing purposes so that was already set up. ** Note - The OEM MULF does not sit on top of the glovebox, it is suppose to sit in the boot to the left of the pass-through hatch, but that entails taking a lot more panels off for no gain whats-so-ever, and there is space above the glovebox, so why not That also included the AUX and USB inputs from the centre console. With this I also sorted the problem with the glovebox USB not working so that is now fully operational as well.
So a lot of the dash panel had to come out so that I could get to the radio cage, this was a bit of a nightmare really as I was trying to avoid taking too much out, but I managed it in the end with a bit of bending (parts of the dash as well as myself!!).
This is the stage just as I'd removed the old cage and before I'd put the new one in...

Here we go with the first full test run of the system running...

Then I placed everything back in as it should go, along with a final test run to make sure it was working properly...

I've been informed that my Apple CarPlay/Android Auto box is now in the country and with Royal Mail for delivery, so I should have it in the next couple of days. Then I've got the fun of trying to get it fitted behind the headunit, with very little space!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 03:23 PM   #11
HelixFish
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesZed View Post
Well after a few hours work yesterday I managed to fully install the full iDrive system

I'd already installed the MULF and Bluetooth antenna a couple of weeks ago for testing purposes so that was already set up. ** Note - The OEM MULF does not sit on top of the glovebox, it is suppose to sit in the boot to the left of the pass-through hatch, but that entails taking a lot more panels off for no gain whats-so-ever, and there is space above the glovebox, so why not That also included the AUX and USB inputs from the centre console. With this I also sorted the problem with the glovebox USB not working so that is now fully operational as well.
So a lot of the dash panel had to come out so that I could get to the radio cage, this was a bit of a nightmare really as I was trying to avoid taking too much out, but I managed it in the end with a bit of bending (parts of the dash as well as myself!!).
This is the stage just as I'd removed the old cage and before I'd put the new one in...

Here we go with the first full test run of the system running...

Then I placed everything back in as it should go, along with a final test run to make sure it was working properly...

I've been informed that my Apple CarPlay/Android Auto box is now in the country and with Royal Mail for delivery, so I should have it in the next couple of days. Then I've got the fun of trying to get it fitted behind the headunit, with very little space!
I'm super interested in your CarPlay install. One product or install that I saw indicated you can switch back and forth from iDrive to CarPlay with a 3 second push on the menu button or similar press. That's what I want. I'm waiting to hear your experience before I buy.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 03:53 PM   #12
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm super interested in your CarPlay install. One product or install that I saw indicated you can switch back and forth from iDrive to CarPlay with a 3 second push on the menu button or similar press. That's what I want. I'm waiting to hear your experience before I buy.
Just as soon as our wonderful Royal Mail bother to forward it on (been stuck for two days so far!) I'll be installing it and I'll post back on here about it. I'll also be doing a video on it for my Youtube channel as well (separate to my iDrive install video)

Appreciate 1
      07-22-2020, 02:32 PM   #13
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

**Another update**

So the Apple CarPlay/Android Auto box arrived yesterday so I installed it. It was relatively easy to install as it is basically Plug-n-Play. It's just a case of removing the headunit, plugging the new loom sections into the car loom and then finding somewhere to place the box. As my MULF is on top of the glovebox it was sensible to place the new box in the same location as there was plenty of new loom to do that.
I also hooked my old reversing camera up to it and got that set up as well (I say old as I now have a new replacement to go on the number plate location as a surround instead of the numberplaet light hole I curently have).

Well because the headunit is a Japanese import one, when I bought it I didn't realise this, but upon checking found out, no big problem, I thought, as I'll simply change it to Euro maps. Errmmm, no, apparently you can't do this with Japanese headunits, you can with any other country but not these ones, well not without major surgery to the hard drive. So as I want this all to be working correctly I'm now sending it back and getting my money back on it. I've managed to locate another (UK) headunit which will be with me tomorrow, so that will just go straight in and be fine with a map update (if it needs it) which I can do without any bother at all :wink:

It works perfectly with my wifes iPhone, in wireless mode and also with my Samsung A70, also in wireless mode, which I'm very happy about. If I'm honest I think I prefer the CarPlay screen to the Android Auto screen view, it just seems a better layout.
All controls work, you can use the iDrive controller to move about the various screens and also the steering wheel track skip buttons work too.
So here are some photos of the new screen, alas only in Android Auto mode as I only had my phone with me at the time....

And here is the reversing camera view, it even shows the correct Z4 picture for the PDC (alas I don't yet have my OEM PDC installed so it's just showing full coverage)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 02:34 PM   #14
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes I can confirm that you can press the MENU button for 3 seconds to switch between them, it's very seamless in operation.

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 06:56 AM   #15
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I thought I'd write a quick update as to what is happening with this project.

Firstly the ICOM, well I've not got around to using it yet for a couple of reasons... 1, I've simply not had the time (other non-Z4 projects are in the way at the moment) and 2, they supplied it to me without the main cable!! This has (apparently) been sent to me but has not yet arrived. I won't be recommending the supplier in this case as it's like platting snot in all communications with them..... bloody hard work!

Right on with the install. OK, on the whole it is working perfectly, but with the odd bug here and there, namely sometimes the screen doesn't come up immediately and sometimes it'll stay on after I've taken the key out, but will close and switch off after a minute or two. Not really sure why it's doing this, but will give it a good looking at once the ICOM is fully working.
Also on the same note I took it into BMW for a paint repair on my roof last month. Because I have a SmartTop module fitted I thought it was best to disable the unit while they were to work on the roof. This is achievable by a simple setting with a PC to the SmartTop box. Once I'd done this I noticed that the iDrive screen wasn't working properly and was very intermittent as to whether it would open or not. Once I had the car back and reactivated the SmartTop it went back to normal! Absolutely no idea as to why it would do this as they are not connected in any way.

As for the MMI box, it's working fine, a couple of minor glitches now and again but I think this has more to do with bad phone signal and Apple Music's shite system than the box itself. Looking forward to a new phone contract with a better provider than Three as the signal around these parts is utter crap most of the time, alas will have to wait until next June though

Upgrades...... Once I get the Bluetooth working on the MULF I now have a Combox so may see if I can upgrade to that just so I have the full benefit of connections (not that I need them!).

OK that's it for now, more stuff coming soon

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 04:12 AM   #16
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Morning all,

So I've finally got around to completing the MMI box installation video's, so here they are...
Part 1, Installation

And Part 2, set-up

I'm also currently producing a final part which will be my opinion on the box and how I've got on with it, this should be out in the next few days

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 06:43 AM   #17
Nathan_McClean
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89 20i M-Sport

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the great write up. I'm interested in retrofitting the folding CIC screen myself.

Would you be willing to help me by proving a bit more info on the parts and coding process? Also where you got things like the CIC folding screen.

I'm not particularly good with vehicle electronics however I'm very mechanically minded. I learned from YouTube and research how to repair a N20 engine with a broken timing chain after mind broke in February last year. Is this the type of job you need to be a professional electrical engineer or similar to complete?

Attached a few photos from the engine rebuild for your interest and a nice snow shot from a few winters back.

Thanks
Nathan
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 10:10 AM   #18
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan_McClean View Post
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the great write up. I'm interested in retrofitting the folding CIC screen myself.

Would you be willing to help me by proving a bit more info on the parts and coding process? Also where you got things like the CIC folding screen.

I'm not particularly good with vehicle electronics however I'm very mechanically minded. I learned from YouTube and research how to repair a N20 engine with a broken timing chain after mind broke in February last year. Is this the type of job you need to be a professional electrical engineer or similar to complete?

Attached a few photos from the engine rebuild for your interest and a nice snow shot from a few winters back.

Thanks
Nathan
Hi Nathan,

I've just replied to your PM.

In short I'll be producing a How-To video on everything to do with the retrofit, including all of the parts that are required.

One quick question, do you currently have Bluetooth for calls?
Happy to help you out, but this is a scary big retrofit, but the good news is that you really don't need to have any special electrical skills as it's just plugging stuff together

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 11:27 AM   #19
Nathan_McClean
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89 20i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesZed View Post
Quote:
Hi Dave,

Thanks
Nathan
Hi Nathan,

I've just replied to your PM.

In short I'll be producing a How-To video on everything to do with the retrofit, including all of the parts that are required.

One quick question, do you currently have Bluetooth for calls?
Happy to help you out, but this is a scary big retrofit, but the good news is that you really don't need to have any special electrical skills as it's just plugging stuff together
Hi Dave,

Thanks for responding! That's great to hear I'm especially looking forward to the retrofit video! I'll definitely do that, I didn't realise you could put Apple car play on the original screen that's why I was first looking at the android screen. Now that I know you can I'd defiantly prefer the oem flip screen.

I have the Bluetooth calls feature for my car which is great it's just a shame I can't do Bluetooth music which is what I really want

If you don't mind me asking how much did it cost to retrofit the idrive? Just ball park? More than £500?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 01:57 AM   #20
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi Dave,

Thanks for responding! That's great to hear I'm especially looking forward to the retrofit video! I'll definitely do that, I didn't realise you could put Apple car play on the original screen that's why I was first looking at the android screen. Now that I know you can I'd defiantly prefer the oem flip screen.

I have the Bluetooth calls feature for my car which is great it's just a shame I can't do Bluetooth music which is what I really want

If you don't mind me asking how much did it cost to retrofit the idrive? Just ball park? More than £500?
Yeah I love the CarPlay option and then keeping the OE look.

Cost wise it was about £800, but it could be done cheaper, 1 because you already have Bluetooth (which is excellent ) and 2 if you really look around to find the bargains. There are ways and means to make it more cost effective.

Some parts are a little harder to find than others, and the best way is to get it all from one car that is being broken, although they might then charge more.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 12:40 PM   #21
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

Interested in the iDrive controller wiring - as the e89 I thought had 3 wires vs the e90 4 wires. Where did the extra wire come from? I've been looking to do this upgrade for some time. Looking forward to a parts list as well.

Great videos!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 04:05 AM   #22
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurcher View Post
Interested in the iDrive controller wiring - as the e89 I thought had 3 wires vs the e90 4 wires. Where did the extra wire come from? I've been looking to do this upgrade for some time. Looking forward to a parts list as well.

Great videos!
The wiring for the controller is 4 wires, 2 for the canbus and then +ve and -ve.

I'm going to start work on putting the retrofit video together very soon
Appreciate 0