09-13-2010, 11:09 AM   #23
tommy
Benz Interloper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 Benz C230, 1990 CRX ZcSi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
Still - do you really think BMW is going to put out a car which is competitive with the MX-5? Don;t see it as they are a premium line. Mazda is not and they won't drop to their level. My guess is the Z2 will be at least $35K if it is seen at all.
I don't see why not. I wouldn't call the 1 series a "premium" car, and they're priced reasonably well (ignoring the always too expensive BMW options). If BMW makes it close to the Z4 in price, why even bring it out at all? Don't forget the fwd cars that they'll be bringing out - they're going to be offering more bread-and butter cars than ever soon.

My guess is that they will start off with a "stripped" version going a couple of g's above a middle of the road Miata, and then offer the usual options to get it to where most Americans would get it. At least I hope so; still hate i-drive, and the whole point of a small, lightweight convertible should be about the driving experience, so I've got my fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 03:01 AM   #24
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

My thoughts are this:

Prediction...

I believe the Z2 convertible will come in around 1200kg at least. Extra chassis bracing, framework etc to increase stiffness lost from having no fixed roof will naturally add to the weight of the convertible. Plus all the premium gear this car will inevitably come with (safety, electronics, luxury) since it is afterall a modern BMW. Don't forget RFTs. A NC Miata weighs around 1100kg. It will be hard for BMW to get to this weight without dropping the luxury and without using expensive materials.

The coupe will be the lightweight 'LBR' version imo.

Engine will most like be some sort of 4-cylinder else it will rival the big daddy Z4. The Z4 weighs in at around 1400kg+ for the low end 6cyl model.

Note a Z3 with a 4cyl weighed around 1200kg.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 04:13 PM   #25
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy View Post
I don't see why not. I wouldn't call the 1 series a "premium" car, and they're priced reasonably well (ignoring the always too expensive BMW options). If BMW makes it close to the Z4 in price, why even bring it out at all? Don't forget the fwd cars that they'll be bringing out - they're going to be offering more bread-and butter cars than ever soon.

My guess is that they will start off with a "stripped" version going a couple of g's above a middle of the road Miata, and then offer the usual options to get it to where most Americans would get it. At least I hope so; still hate i-drive, and the whole point of a small, lightweight convertible should be about the driving experience, so I've got my fingers crossed.
Well, a stripped 128i coupe starts at $30K. For the same money you could get a base 370z, or loaded Genesis V6 Coupe. The 1er has leather and an ipod adapter, but little else. I would say this is premium pricing for what you are getting. I seriously doubt they will start a Z2 at $28K(which is 2K over a mid range MX-5 "touring"). $35k would not be encroaching on the Z4 at all as it starts at $46K. Lots of room to have an "entry level" BMW roadster in the mid 30's.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 08:47 AM   #26
tommy
Benz Interloper
United_States
Rep

Hmm, I was going to correct your post about leather being standard on the 1 series, as when it was introduced, it started with leatherette. But I guess I can't now - looked at BMWUSA, and looks like there's now a "value package" which gives you free leather (even Lemon, my favorite - wasn't even shown as being available six months ago - used to be P1 only). Must be a recession special.

I hope you're wrong, but your logic does seem to make sense. Would still like a cloth/no i-drive/minimalist start to the car dropping it lower than 35, but BMW doesn't seem too interested in general about bringing in the lower versions to the US.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 01:48 PM   #27
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy View Post
Hmm, I was going to correct your post about leather being standard on the 1 series, as when it was introduced, it started with leatherette. But I guess I can't now - looked at BMWUSA, and looks like there's now a "value package" which gives you free leather (even Lemon, my favorite - wasn't even shown as being available six months ago - used to be P1 only). Must be a recession special.

I hope you're wrong, but your logic does seem to make sense. Would still like a cloth/no i-drive/minimalist start to the car dropping it lower than 35, but BMW doesn't seem too interested in general about bringing in the lower versions to the US.
I am not trying to dis you either Tommy(BTW my name is Tommy too . I just don't believe BMW will have a roadster selling in the 20's(even for a stripped down car). They proved that when the 1 series came out(supposedly a "new" 2002 type car). They don't do well at going downmarket.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 08:59 AM   #28
tommy
Benz Interloper
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
They don't do well at going downmarket.
Seems that way with all luxury marques. No 1 series hatch, no A2 or A3 three-door, even my Benz C coupe was totally ignored by MBUSA, and the new version is not sold here. Had a Mercedes A class 5-door on a tour through England, Scotland, and Wales in June, and had a lot more fun with it than I've had driving an E class here (even with the bad food).

II guess they don't view the American consumer as being able to handle the more economical models sold alongside the higher end models, and I for the most part share that feeling about our short-sided opinions.

Still, I'll keep hope alive that they do start the US Z2 at a reasonable trim level. Otherwise, the Mini Roadster is probably going to look like a more viable option.

Nice name, btw!
Appreciate 0