New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

05-21-2022, 06:57 AM   #1
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep
Drives: 24 X3 M40i/14 550i/08 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
Windshield Replacement

My recently chipped windshield has spider webbed into 2x 6+ inch cracks. Crap.

I'm only getting original BMW glass to replace it. Used Safelite once before and never again.

The question is, should I schedule an apt with the dealer's service center or body shop? Not sure who usually handles this.
2008 Z4 3.0si 6MT
2011 Z4 35si (sold)

Last edited by spielnicht; 05-21-2022 at 04:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 07:21 AM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

My dealer has the service center do seat cushion replacement and not the body shop, so it may not be obvious

when you call ask who does the windshield install. I think it's common items like that are farmed out to third party.
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2022, 08:30 AM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Agree Safelite sucks; been through this several times.

Some dealerships replace windshields and others say they do but just farm it out to a local glass shop. Safelite has a virtual market lock on windshield replacements since it has Agreements with most major insurers, and it sets the price insurers are willing to pay. When I last had to replace the E46 cabrio windshield, I checked with BMW of Sterling (VA). They said their techs installed windshields, but the price was over $500+ more than the going rate insurance will pay.

BMW of Fairfax has one of the best BMW-dealer body shops on the East Coast. I've had my Z4 repaired there twice, with fantastic results. I'm sure Fairfax does their own windshield replacements. You should check with them.

Other than that, there are plenty of local glass shops in the Northern VA area that will install BMW glass or good equivalents (Saint Goblain, PPG, etc.)

In Warrenton there is Warrenton Auto Service (they did my E46), but their website says they are temporarily not doing auto glass repair..
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 05-21-2022 at 08:39 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2022, 04:04 PM   #4
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep

Garage List
Thank you both.

Called up my dealership service dept of choice (which happened to be BMW of Fairfax) and they handle the replacement for a flat labor fee of $300. The glass I can order myself through the parts dept at a nice discount so definitely going that route. All in all, it'll cost me $250 more than what Safelite would charge but I'm good with that to get original glass and have the dealership install it. Th one time I used Safelite on my wife's old ML350 the tint was awful and the glass was somehow too small and caused the most annoying whistling on the highway.

BTW - this is for my new [to me] E89 Z4. I didn't even have it 3 weeks and one drive (ONE F*ING DRIVE) on 66 caused this.
2008 Z4 3.0si 6MT
2011 Z4 35si (sold)
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh16950.50
cooolone2610.50
      05-21-2022, 05:24 PM   #5
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

I guess you don't have insurance coverage? Ya, definitely insist on good quality glass, I tried the cheaper one (the insurer default) but it was lousy since it cracked right away from sitting outside(!) and rendered the rain sensor useless.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 09:05 PM   #6
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep

Garage List
I do have comprehensive coverage but trying to minimize the reimbursable cost since most insurance companies will basically only cover "safelite" cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
I guess you don't have insurance coverage? Ya, definitely insist on good quality glass, I tried the cheaper one (the insurer default) but it was lousy since it cracked right away from sitting outside(!) and rendered the rain sensor useless.
2008 Z4 3.0si 6MT
2011 Z4 35si (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 10:18 PM   #7
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Just got it done on the X5 the other day. After a lot of ignored calls to the dealer service dept., was finally was able to get ahold of somebody willing to help. They scheduled us within a couple days and fixed it in a day.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 10:38 PM   #8
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spielnicht View Post
I do have comprehensive coverage but trying to minimize the reimbursable cost since most insurance companies will basically only cover "safelite" cost.
Ok, I'm confused about those terms, but don't you have a specific coverage for windshield replacement? I had mine replaced a while back and it didn't affect my premiums. If I recall correctly, the cheaper one I still had to pay a little bit on top ~$100, but they screwed up since that cheaper glass was really lousy, so I got the better BMW OEM for virtually the same cost.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 11:15 PM   #9
Almuliman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 6MT 128i

Quote:
My recently chipped windshield has spider webbed into 2x 6+ inch cracks. Crap.

I'm only getting original BMW glass to replace it. Used Safelite once before and never again.
D'oh. Sorry to hear that.

What'd Safelite mess up? They've done well for me with chip repairs, but failed with the one windshield I had them do (on our old Odyssey). Their mobile guy completely screwed it up (broke the cowl, put the rubber buffer *over* the old one, dirty handprints all over,...) Shop took care of it w/o charge (duh), but only after not actually having the windshield for the first appointment, and then not sealing it correctly resulting in a third trip to the shop.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 07:13 AM   #10
grannyknot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M coupe

Quote:
Ok, I'm confused about those terms, but don't you have a specific coverage for windshield replacement? I had mine replaced a while back and it didn't affect my premiums. If I recall correctly, the cheaper one I still had to pay a little bit on top ~$100, but they screwed up since that cheaper glass was really lousy, so I got the better BMW OEM for virtually the same cost.
Would you mind sharing the rough cost both of those options for glass?
I have a very small chip in mine so am thinking about buying one and keeping it in storage just in case.
Thanks
      05-22-2022, 12:57 PM   #11
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep

Garage List
Glad to hear that. I'll make sure the parts have all arrived before I schedule the apt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Just got it done on the X5 the other day. After a lot of ignored calls to the dealer service dept., was finally was able to get ahold of somebody willing to help. They scheduled us within a couple days and fixed it in a day.
My comprehensive deductible is $500. Long story short, I didn't pay attention when I added the Z4 as I was conducting the purchase transaction with the seller and left the deductibles at default. I usually have comprehensive at $200. Now I either pay the $500 deductible or try to get it done for less and cover it myself. I'm at roughly $650 - so might as well just go through the insurance.

Quote:
They're just all about minimizing cost and increasing profitability, so the quality of the glass is questionable and most of the time they just rush everything and screw it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almuliman View Post
D'oh. Sorry to hear that.

What'd Safelite mess up? They've done well for me with chip repairs, but failed with the one windshield I had them do (on our old Odyssey). Their mobile guy completely screwed it up (broke the cowl, put the rubber buffer *over* the old one, dirty handprints all over,...) Shop took care of it w/o charge (duh), but only after not actually having the windshield for the first appointment, and then not sealing it correctly resulting in a third trip to the shop.
The windshield retails for $570 but I can get it for $350 from the dealer with discount. Add $300 flat labor cost, so $650+ tax in total. Mine is an E89 - so yours would be even $50 cheaper for the windshield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyknot View Post
I have a very small chip in mine so am thinking about buying one and keeping it in storage just in case.
Thanks
2008 Z4 3.0si 6MT
2011 Z4 35si (sold)
Appreciate 2
      05-22-2022, 04:22 PM   #12
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyknot View Post
Thanks
They didn't put meaningful #s on the invoices but I paid CAD100 out-of-pocket for the lousy FYG and got a sweetheart deal on the CARLEX and only paid an extra CAD115.

If you only have a very small chip and it's not bothering your sightlines, I would leave it to save the hassle.

Quote:
They're just all about minimizing cost and increasing profitability, so the quality of the glass is questionable and most of the time they just rush everything and screw it up.
For sure, they initially kinda insisted upon going w FYG for all replacements, but it really sucked - I tried and it cracked all by itself and it rendered the rain sensor inoperative. Turned out to be a blessing in disguise since if I went for the good glass right away I would've had to pay $500 extra.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 05:18 PM   #13
PittsDriver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 3.5i, X5 M50i

I used Safelite to replace the windshield in my 2007 Porsche C4S. They were the preferred provider recommended by Allstate that would have left me out of any paperwork loop and made it easy to I went. The GPS stopped working after the replacement and after two attempts I took it to the Porsche dealer who was finally able to get it working. Safelite messed it up and failed to fix it but to their credit they did pay the shop bill at the Porsche dealer.

There are other good choices so they'll never see another car of mine.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 08:26 AM   #14
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep

Garage List
Sorry to hear that. Nothing worse than having to go through loops correcting a job that you know would have (and should have) been done right the first time around by the dealership or a competent shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
I used Safelite to replace the windshield in my 2007 Porsche C4S. They were the preferred provider recommended by Allstate that would have left me out of any paperwork loop and made it easy to I went. The GPS stopped working after the replacement and after two attempts I took it to the Porsche dealer who was finally able to get it working. Safelite messed it up and failed to fix it but to their credit they did pay the shop bill at the Porsche dealer.

There are other good choices so they'll never see another car of mine.
2008 Z4 3.0si 6MT
2011 Z4 35si (sold)
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2022, 08:30 AM   #15
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep

Garage List
Windshield ordered. Spent time last night googling whether Virginia is one of those states that has laws in place against comprehensive claim being used to adjust your rates and couldn't find anything. I'm counting the days for the 5 years to lapse since my wife had an accident (at fault) to bring my rate down again - not taking a chance for $150. I'm gonna leave the insurance out of it and pay it all myself.
2008 Z4 3.0si 6MT
2011 Z4 35si (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 09:11 AM   #16
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Windshield ordered. Spent time last night googling whether Virginia is one of those states that has laws in place against comprehensive claim being used to adjust your rates and couldn't find anything. I'm counting the days for the 5 years to lapse since my wife had an accident (at fault) to bring my rate down again - not taking a chance for $150. I'm gonna leave the insurance out of it and pay it all myself.
I live in VA. No issue. Comprehensive claims do not affect your insurance rates. On my E90 I've made 4 deer accidents, 1 rodent, and 1 my-dog-ate-my-fenders damage claims since 2007, I know first hand it does not affect insurance rates. I'm insured by one of the top three national insurance companies.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 10:47 AM   #17
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep

Garage List
Thank you for confirming that. I will then submit my receipts to Geico to get reimbursed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I live in VA. No issue. Comprehensive claims do not affect your insurance rates. On my E90 I've made 4 deer accidents, 1 rodent, and 1 my-dog-ate-my-fenders damage claims since 2007, I know first hand it does not affect insurance rates. I'm insured by one of the top three national insurance companies.
2008 Z4 3.0si 6MT
2011 Z4 35si (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 11:00 AM   #18
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for confirming that. I will then submit my receipts to Geico to get reimbursed.
Shit Geico... maybe just check with them to be sure - Lol. There is definitely no law in Virginia that mandates a rate increase.
Appreciate 0