New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

09-19-2013, 07:58 AM   #1
Lovegreatcars
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 convertible

Can I get owners feedback? Thanks!

I have had numerous BMW's. I have owned 5 M3's, own a 2013 M3 coupe now.
Here's where I need some feedback. I am contemplating buying a new 2014 Z4. I would like to get you all's opinions on the car, likes, dislikes, etc. I have driven one, on a test drive and really enjoyed it. Love the open air feel. Wife has had a 135i convertible, I have owned a M3 vert as well. We really enjoy the convertibles. If I get a Z4 the wife will be able to drive as well. I am also considering a M6 vert. If I get that, wifey won't drive, she doesn't feel comfortable driving an M car for whatever reason.
I know they are two different cars entirely. I'm trying to determine what kind of experiences you all have had. Whether the cockpit will be to small for me, (I don't expect it to be).

Any experiences you can relate would be much appreciated. (If I get the M6 I'll be getting rid of the 2013 M3 (1,010 miles). If I get the Z4 I'll keep the M3.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #2
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Sounds like you're a dedicated M car guy. I think you'll be OK with power and torque, but everything else (suspension, steering especially) will be a step down.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #3
Lovegreatcars
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Sounds like you're a dedicated M car guy. I think you'll be OK with power and torque, but everything else (suspension, steering especially) will be a step down.
Thanks for the quick response. Your points are actually a good thing. My wife isn't as keen on the M car ride as I am. Her 135i (2009) had M-sport package, but wasn't a true M car, but she really enjoyed it, it was her daily driver. I imagine she would like the way the Z4 acts as well. I would enjoy it because of the different driver position, kinda like being in a torquey go cart.

Has your experience been ok from a room standpoint? Don't feel closed in?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3crazy View Post
Thanks for the quick response. Your points are actually a good thing. My wife isn't as keen on the M car ride as I am. Her 135i (2009) had M-sport package, but wasn't a true M car, but she really enjoyed it, it was her daily driver. I imagine she would like the way the Z4 acts as well. I would enjoy it because of the different driver position, kinda like being in a torquey go cart.

Has your experience been ok from a room standpoint? Don't feel closed in?
I have no complaints what so ever. Plenty of room. Love the car. I'd have your wife test drive it because it has a very low seating position and she should check it out first.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

I love my car, but I've had a lot of trouble with build quality. I've persevered and have a pretty solid car now. I have a dim view of BMW build quality though. Someone on here spoke with a BMW insider a while back and BMW confessed it was their most problematic car.

So I still get a few rattles from the interior on really really rough roads that I can't avoid, but its a convertible after all. Its fairly quiet in normal use. Plenty of power and grip. Run flats are rock hard and create body shock on manhole covers ets (not bump sounds, but bang sounds) which have also resulted in some wheel cracks. Get rid of the run flats asap. Quite a bit of road noise, but then you are very close to the wheels and tyres!

If you're into your tech, the iDrive system is great, with plenty of toys to keep you occupied on a run or waiting for the other half to finish their hair!

I think its largely a very underrated car and is perfectly liveable as a daily driver. Also great fun to throw around despite what the press may say. Then of course, drop the top if you feel like some air!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
Lovegreatcars
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the info guys. Appreciate it a lot.

I've had run flats before, they are hard as a rock! Info on ingress/egress is helpful also, (we're not getting any younger!).

Build quality disappoints .
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Maniac has had several problems but his car is an outlier. Most people have mostly trouble free experiences, myself included. Any car will have a glitch or two, his had much more than that. If he lived in the US he would have been able to get better warranty service or a trade assist, but in the UK BMW is less supportive of their customers.

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 11:16 AM   #8
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I think it also depends on how fussy you are. The car cost me a bomb and I want it perfect. BMW still make me laugh though, they tell me how helpful they've been to resolve my issues. If they built the car properly in the first place then I wouldn't have to ask for their help.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #9
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
I think it also depends on how fussy you are. The car cost me a bomb and I want it perfect. BMW still make me laugh though, they tell me how helpful they've been to resolve my issues. If they built the car properly in the first place then I wouldn't have to ask for their help.
I'm glad I'll never have to sell you a car! Perfectionist!! LOL

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 11:56 AM   #10
DslDwg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z4 35is

Ingress and egress can be a little tricky depending on your frame.

I am a huge guy 6'1" about 285lbs plus I've got a bum knee from an injury.

In is easy as I kind of just fall into the car. Out I use my hands on the car to kind of push me out. Certainly looks ridiculous but it works for me.

Once I'm in no problems plenty of legroom/headroom. Coming out of a 2010 335i the car feels a little narrower but very familiar.

My wife is a tiny woman and her daily drive is an X3 28i. No problems in or out.

She didn't like my 335i frankly I think it scared her, but she loves to drive my Z4 35is. I think the difference is she leaves it in comfort mode which takes the edge of the performance enough that she feels in control.

Which is probably another point that I think makes it such a good daily driver.

You leave it in comfort - it's quiet and comfortable and short shifts like a pussy cat. Then place it in sport + it's like a completely different car (in a good way).

I even have to say the Bridgestone RFT's are a lot more compliant than the Michelin RFT's on my 335i - don't know if suspension,car,tires maybe a little bit of each.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 12:45 PM   #11
BlueZ4Arizona
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 35i

My Z4 35i has the best build quality of any car I've ever owned. 50 months and 36k miles later and everything is still like new. Feels like the car could last forever. Got rid of the runflats a while back. The car handles much better now.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #12
army_men
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 35i

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4 35i  [10.00]
my experience with the car has been mostly very positive. I don't think another car will serve me quite close to this Z4 will. It pretty much does everything I need it to do. comfortable dailydriver, massive torque, fast around the track, and GREAT looker. one of the best hard top convertibles in the market.

I liked it enough to dump some efforts into tuning and modding. And now the car will give most M a good run for their money. and I've never been out paced on Mosport GP against a field of M cars, porsches and corvettes.
      09-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #13
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4Arizona View Post
My Z4 35i has the best build quality of any car I've ever owned. 50 months and 36k miles later and everything is still like new. Feels like the car could last forever. Got rid of the runflats a while back. The car handles much better now.

No issues with HPFP or anything?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #14
BlueZ4Arizona
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
No issues with HPFP or anything?
That was taken care of long ago under warranty, before any repercussions.

Last edited by BlueZ4Arizona; 09-21-2013 at 01:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #15
Roadstergal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i

After owning a Z3 and two previous generation Z4's, I can honestly say this car has been virtually trouble free and the best of the bunch. At the end of this November, it will make four years of pure pleasure. I love the car. I still take a couple of looks backwards at the car whenever I park it.

The only trouble that I had was the HPFP. I didn't get stuck or go into limp mode. I just had the whining noise. I took the car to the dealer, they replaced the HPFP and I haven't had an issue with that or anything else.

I also have to say, that my car is rock solid. I do not hear rattles or squeaks with the top up or down. As Blue stated, my car also looks brand new inside and out.
E36 - 1998 Z3 2.8 (Red, black leather, wood trim)
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #16
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Hey OP, welcome to the forum.

I tried to pass on my 35i to my wife a while ago and she didn't like the ride height (felt it was too low and bottom of car could scrape over speed bumps and bumper on inclined driveways).

I don't really think all of my objections are applicable if you are looking for a daily driver. It is a great daily, fun grocery getter, and good for street use.

That said, I think my car (35i, DCT, adaptive dampers) is a tourer / daily driver whose looks suggest it is sports car.

Power is just ok and needs mods to wake up (especially for a 3500lbs car, which is so overweight for such as small car), and lacking in terms of sufficient engine cooling (limp mode!), brake heat capacity (Z435i brakes are smaller than 335i) , no LSD (not even sure you can get it on the aftermarket).

If it was for you and you do HPDE, I would highly recommend NOT getting it and getting a Boxster S if you wanted a German convertible. If it is for your wife for daily driving on the streets, N54 + 2 seat + droptop is pretty winner and it will be a lot of fun for you to borrow once in a while when you want a change.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #17
BlueZ4Arizona
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Hey OP, welcome to the forum.

I tried to pass on my 35i to my wife a while ago and she didn't like the ride height (felt it was too low and bottom of car could scrape over speed bumps and bumper on inclined driveways).

I don't really think all of my objections are applicable if you are looking for a daily driver. It is a great daily, fun grocery getter, and good for street use.

That said, I think my car (35i, DCT, adaptive dampers) is a tourer / daily driver whose looks suggest it is sports car.

Power is just ok and needs mods to wake up (especially for a 3500lbs car, which is so overweight for such as small car), and lacking in terms of sufficient engine cooling (limp mode!), brake heat capacity (Z435i brakes are smaller than 335i) , no LSD (not even sure you can get it on the aftermarket).

If it was for you and you do HPDE, I would highly recommend NOT getting it and getting a Boxster S if you wanted a German convertible. If it is for your wife for daily driving on the streets, N54 + 2 seat + droptop is pretty winner and it will be a lot of fun for you to borrow once in a while when you want a change.
Everyone's perception of power is different. To me my 35i feels plenty fast, and my previous car was a 2007 Corvette Coupe. The initial impression when I first test drove the 35i back in 2009 was - This feels like the 3200 lb car and my Corvette feels like the 3450 lb car, not the other way around. The Z4 is not faster nor does it feel faster than a C6, that ws not the point, but to me, the Z4 feels like the more nimble, lighter car.

I've test driven a 2014 Boxster S (PDK) . Both the Z4 and Boxster S are about even 0-60 and 1/4 mile. The Z4 35i with DCT has about 332 actual HP (300HP BMW documents is understated) vs 315 for the Boxster, but the Boxster weighs about 300 lbs less. So, the Boxster S has an ever so slight weight/HP ratio advantage. However, my Z4 35i feels a good deal faster than the Boxster and from a power perspective, is better suited for everyday driving, due to the fact the peak Torque kicks in immediately, while in the Boxster you have to mash the throttle to just to get the car to wake up.

Removing the runflats changed the personality of the Z4 as well. It handles much better.

Last edited by BlueZ4Arizona; 09-19-2013 at 06:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 09:15 PM   #18
SCOTT123
Dr. S
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 3.5is M, 2012 X6 3.5i

Garage List
I too have had many roadsters and M cars (96 Z3, 99 M roadster, 2003 M3, 2006 M Roadster, 2009 M3 and now my 2012 Z43.5is) My current Z4 is my favorite by far. It feels faster than all the rest and is without question the best looking. I get comments every day; it is unbelieveable! Falling in and climbing out are usual for the roadsters.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 12:02 AM   #19
itf joegun
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4 M40i; G05 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3crazy View Post
Any experiences you can relate would be much appreciated. (If I get the M6 I'll be getting rid of the 2013 M3 (1,010 miles). If I get the Z4 I'll keep the M3.
I also did the switch form M3 to 35is. Here is one comment from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by itf joegun View Post
The 35is is quite fast, I doubt that the M3 is faster straight line until 200 kph. The car itself is so much different, obviously, because it is a roadster, but also the design message is different. The M3 was really muscular, always yells "Here I am, yes, please try it!!!" A message which was ok for the past years, bit is no more that what I want. With the M3 you have that perfect V8 engine, but it needs high revs to be fast. I use it as daily driver and I always waited until it was warm. So the first 5 kilometers, I was not as fast as I liked it. Also I had a 6 MT, which really is not the best transmission from BMW. It happens sometimes, that especially the 1-2 switch was not good, which in the end causes confusion by myself and others around. To much attention for me...

As I said, straight line until 200 it is even, also motor sound is perfect for both, I like that plopp so much from the Z, but also I do like the V8. Problem is, that IN the car, you do not have that V8 sound. People are turning constantly around if I drive by with the M, but I never noticed the reason why. If my wife drives the car and I am outside I know why, but how often does this happen?! The solution is another exhaust, which will cause my neighbours to freak out in the morning. So no option. On the Z I simply open the roof and everything is ok...

Regarding performance in corners, the Z is sooooo bad with the original suspension. I noticed it immediately during the driving to the Autobahn, in long corners it acts like a container ship! I hate it, but I knew it before. I will change it tomorrow. Today I get new rims with non-runflat tires, and tomorrow I visit Schmickler, a german racing company which will change the setup of the car and install Eibach springs and HR roll bars. So afterwards it should be fine.

I will find out the track performance later this year, after the car is driven in. Did I miss something? If yes, please ask.
In the meantime I got the new springs (Eibach) and the new sway bars (HR) and a different setting for the axes geometry. All I can say is that it is really a good ride now, not perfect like the M3 but very good.

Last Wednesday I also got a new ECU setting from Schmickler. It was not just for a gain of more horses, it was for a better power distribution and more low end torque. The car drives much better now, instant response if you hit the throttle, no brutal push around 3,5k rpm, just a smooth and linear power distribution. Did not regret it...

So the message is: No problem to go from M3 to 35is. Depending what you want, optimization could be necessary. In my opinion a must is the change of the factory tires to non-runflat PSS.

Click signature for current and previous cars.

Last edited by itf joegun; 09-20-2013 at 03:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #20
Frank Costanza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 540i/6, Z4 35i

2 cars for the price of 1 because the hardtop makes it a coupe and a convertible. Turns a lot of heads top up or down. Awesome.

If you can afford one, get one and set it up to your taste. You won't regret it.
      09-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #21
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

OP is your M3 a lease? If so PM me about swapping?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 04:31 PM   #22
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
The Z4 is a great car, if you like it then you should get one and keep your M3

Only one caution, stay clear of the 296 wheels. My taste is the same as yours I do have a e92 M3 and my little fun car is a restored 1969 Mercedes Pagoda 280 SL (that one is three cars in one no top, soft top or removable [by hand needs 2 man to do it] hard top). Talk about head turner they just don't build them like it any more

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0