New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-22-2013, 11:45 PM   #23
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

After building one on the Jaguar configurator I am not impressed with the looks of the interior either. The Brits seem even more stingy with cup holders than the Germans. What is with that passenger grab bar really! I guess they are trying to challenge the passenger to adjust their climate controls. Another manufacturer douches all the three model versions without a real transmission.

As a side note I did have a new F30 3er with the N20 and 8 speed Steptronic, as a loaner, while my car was undergoing the battery cable safety recall. It ran great, like a scalded cat, the transmission was flawless and boring. Steering feel was non existant.

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 12:16 AM   #24
AdamGarciaTX
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

With all respect to everyone's opinion's, you can't really comment on something you haven't seen in the flesh. Granted in real life, opinions will still differ regardless; however, the only one with a basis for true comparison is Moo. I agree there doesn't look like there's a proper flow to the cabin, but behind the wheel may be a different story. I also don't like the minuscule taillights with the dot for a stoplight look to the back of the car, but again, in person I may see it differently. You never know until you actually see one in person and drive it.

Pictures are worth a thousand words but looks can be deceiving.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 12:29 AM   #25
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamGarciaTX View Post
With all respect to everyone's opinion's, you can't really comment on something you haven't seen in the flesh. Granted in real life, opinions will still differ regardless; however, the only one with a basis for true comparison is Moo.
Ahem, those pictures from the Qingdao Auto Show were actually taken by myself!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 04:47 AM   #26
VailM3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
I live in Geneva where it made its 1st showing...so yeah i have seen it sat in it, still much prefer my 35iS.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #27
Moo
Gold Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PSYWGN

Re: F-Type interior. I felt it was better designed/built than our Z. Buttons/knobs felt solid. Of course that's just my subjective opinion; these cars are now in showrooms so you can go check them out in the flesh and make your own judgement. FWIW I thought the interior in the Carrera 991 and Cayman 981 were plain and substandard for the price in comparison.

BTW with the top up, there were zero creaks/rattles this particular attribute and the general interior build quality was uniform across cars because I swapped in/out with at least 5-6 F-Types.

Regarding the mid-console passenger handlebar: there were some sessions where they had instructors drive us around the track. Let me just say the handlebar was utilized aplenty The new BMW 6-series has similar "raised divider" design but not quite an "official" handlebar.

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #28
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

I wish they never took the pouncing jaguar off the hood. Now it's just another plain-looking hood.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 12:29 PM   #29
AdamGarciaTX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
Lol. I do apologize. Asbjorn, VailM3, and Moo.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #30
AdamGarciaTX
Private
Rep

I do agree with the general sentiments here. I absolutely love my IS so much that this is my second e89. Anyone that sees it or I let sit in it (never drive it, she's mine) has the same comments/sentiments including drive-through workers: "Man this is gorgeous!","This is badass!", "This car feels good to sit in", and "Holy shit this thing is fast".
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #31
z4z4z4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
On a related note, I drove the F30 335 with the 8spd sport auto, which is a torque converter automatic, and the shift speeds and overall behavior felt very close to the DCT (included the feeling of locked torque converter vs. fully engaged clutch)

It isn't clear to me that old assumptions about torque converter based automatics being a no-go for performance hold true anymore...
      05-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #32
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Daddy-bought" 2010 Z4

The steering wheel is incredibly ugly, otherwise it's gorgeous on the inside.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #33
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
I wish they never took the pouncing jaguar off the hood. Now it's just another plain-looking hood.
Really? I don't like it that thing sticking out, just like a Merc, not aerodynamic and ruins the lines. Glad they took it out.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #34
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Really? I don't like it that thing sticking out, just like a Merc, not aerodynamic and ruins the lines. Glad they took it out.
Ahhhhh, it was a classic, like the flying wraith on the hood of a Rolls. I guess it was felt the it could impale some stupid pedestrian.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 08:58 PM   #35
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Ahhhhh, it was a classic, like the flying wraith on the hood of a Rolls. I guess it was felt the it could impale some stupid pedestrian.
LOL, that reminds me there was this ridiculous new 'innovation' that if a pedestrian was hit and fell onto the hood, the material would be extra soft or something to help support the person and mitigate injuries...I only glanced quickly at the article so not sure if it was a joke or serious. If it's real, that is crazy...how about not hitting the person in the 1st place, or the stupid person not cross the road recklessly?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 10:00 PM   #36
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

The pedestrian friendly hood is a EU vehicle regulation - not an innovation. Phase 1 was effective 2005 & Phase 2 in 2010. Has to do with preventing your favorite pedestrians head from hitting that pretty hood and them running into the shock tower or other close hard parts in the engine compartment. I bet you thought all those underhood plastic engine covers were just there for cosmetic reasons.

"Each year, automobiles kill more people than malnutrition, war and stomach cancer. That’s not including drivers and passengers. Obviously, the automobile – pedestrian toll is greatest in developing nations, where road safety is a strictly Darwinian affair. But the industrial world’s pedestrian “ksi” (killed or seriously injured) statistics are also pretty grim. Legislators in Europe, Japan and Korea have decided to take action. They’ve all developed legislative initiatives to force car makers to introduce new technology for reducing pedestrian deaths and injuries. America has no plans to get with the program. Over four thousand American pedestrians are killed in accidents with motor vehicles each year; some seventy thousand are injured."

Remember hit them hard, hit them low, and don't stop. If you kill them, there is less chance of being sued.

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 10:06 PM   #37
army_men
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 35i

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4 35i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrK View Post
Remember hit them hard, hit them low, and don't stop. If you kill them, there is less chance of being sued
lmao. Ironically that's exactly what happens in some parts of the world. People would back up to grind the poor bastard again just to make sure.
      05-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #38
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrK View Post
The pedestrian friendly hood is a EU vehicle regulation - not an innovation. Phase 1 was effective 2005 & Phase 2 in 2010. Has to do with preventing your favorite pedestrians head from hitting that pretty hood and them running into the shock tower or other close hard parts in the engine compartment. I bet you thought all those underhood plastic engine covers were just there for cosmetic reasons.

"Each year, automobiles kill more people than malnutrition, war and stomach cancer. That’s not including drivers and passengers. Obviously, the automobile – pedestrian toll is greatest in developing nations, where road safety is a strictly Darwinian affair. But the industrial world’s pedestrian “ksi” (killed or seriously injured) statistics are also pretty grim. Legislators in Europe, Japan and Korea have decided to take action. They’ve all developed legislative initiatives to force car makers to introduce new technology for reducing pedestrian deaths and injuries. America has no plans to get with the program. Over four thousand American pedestrians are killed in accidents with motor vehicles each year; some seventy thousand are injured."

Remember hit them hard, hit them low, and don't stop. If you kill them, there is less chance of being sued.
Thx, I learned something. What a silly regulation(esp w/ the unintended effect of wanting to ensure they're dead), if a car hits a person, they're pretty much toast, so to instill some crazy law to try to mitigate injuries is just laughable.

EDIT: going back on topic, I guess the Jag has this feature? LOL.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 02:21 AM   #39
Paul S
Rep
Drives: 35i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepittrill View Post
The steering wheel is incredibly ugly, otherwise it's gorgeous on the inside.
It's interesting that a relatively insignificant thing can have a major impact on your views isn't it. I wouldn't have bought a Z4 if the standard steering wheel had been the only one available. The "M" wheel makes all the difference to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 03:44 AM   #40
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
if a car hits a person, they're pretty much toast, so to instill some crazy law to try to mitigate injuries is just laughable.
Actually under 10% of car/pedestrian collisions are fatal. And those "crazy" laws are there to decrease that number even further, so I really don't see what's so laughable about it (provided the laws work).
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 08:30 AM   #41
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juhap View Post
Actually under 10% of car/pedestrian collisions are fatal. And those "crazy" laws are there to decrease that number even further, so I really don't see what's so laughable about it (provided the laws work).
Somehow I don't see how having a jaguar hood ornament is going to make a big difference if your hit head on while crossing the street. If you get nailed by someone's front end, your'e in serious trouble, jaguar or not. I really miss it because it was so distinctive.

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 09:53 AM   #42
SgtGigglebox
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Atacama 35is

Current Mercedes S-Class and Rolls Royce's have protruding hood mounted instruments of death.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 10:23 AM   #43
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

Quote:
Somehow I don't see how having a jaguar hood ornament is going to make a big difference if your hit head on while crossing the street. If you get nailed by someone's front end, your'e in serious trouble, jaguar or not. I really miss it because it was so distinctive.
That's not what HerrK was talking about and neither was I, although the hood ornament was probably removed for safety concerns too.

I was referring to regulation that requires the hood/bonnet of the car to be higher and deformable, so that in case of a collision the pedestrian is less likely to hit his head or at least not as hard. Citroen C6 and Jaguar XK are already equipped with active hoods, which helped them get a good pedestrian protection score in Euro NCAP crash tests.

And if you're driving the new Volvo V40 you'll find it increasingly difficult to kill pedestrians due to its pedestrian airbag. It won't wash away the blood automatically though
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #44
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juhap View Post
Sure, but w/ all the wasted resources in terms of keeping compliance for a ridiculous situation (i.e. trying to mitigate injury for hitting a person head-on and having him/her fall onto the hood), when the focus should have been on better driving (and walking) education.
Appreciate 0