New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #45
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Top Gear's ultimate Jaguar F-Type road test

They talk about an interesting exhaust note switch:

Here, among other things, you get to play with a switch to alter the exhaust note. At this point, a public service notice is required. Leave it unpressed. The F-Type's plenty raucous enough already. Of course you won't; you'll do what we did and engage maximum volume. But be warned that your neighbours will demand you be served with an Asbo, and there are probably track days you'll be turned away from. The V6S in particular is like a rally car with anti-lag. The V8S on the overrun is distant artillery; the V6S is the crackle of small-arms fire in the next room. Do yourself a favour, and reduce the loudness when you overtake someone. It wouldn't do to cause an elderly Suzuki driver to have a heart attack.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #46
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
Top Gear's ultimate Jaguar F-Type road test

They talk about an interesting exhaust note switch:
Local Jaguar dealer had an intro drive event yesterday. They had an orange V6S model. Yep, the exhaust is loud... Especially in what we would call Sport+ with the transmission in sport mode. And then there is a switch that makes it even louder...

I was driving maybe 37 mph down a road that has a posted limit of 35 mph. A cop on a motorcycle was coming the opposite direction - he turned on his siren for a second and motioned us to keep it down... I am pretty sure he meant the noise, not the speed... We were on a lively street with plenty of car dealerships in the neighborhood and no residential...

Trunk is virtually useless. Like the gadgets, but interior isn't really nicer than my 35i.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #47
pmlnnrt
Phil
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z-4 35i

Take a good look at the Navigation screen - its too low ! - For sure I would not want to take my eyes off the road to read something that far down on the Dashboard - reminds me of the Old GPS, that would fit in the radio section - however, maybe its for the Navigator on the right to read the GPS !

My BMW has the Nav. screen high enough to easily scan, without taking your eyes off the road that much !

Phil
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 05:00 PM   #48
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmlnnrt View Post
My BMW has the Nav. screen high enough to easily scan, without taking your eyes off the road that much !
This. I never understood why all the last generation vehicles (and I'm talking 2-3 years old max) have navigations all the way down by the radio console. I really like how on our BMW and newer cars in general have them up by the dash, like Phil mentioned, making it more convenient and safer to operate while driving. This was a big deciding factor for me when I was deciding between a Cayman and the Z. Interesting how a 2014 Jaguar is using old-school method (very similar to current gen. Porsches)
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #49
sali
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 911, 16 Range Rover

Just test drove F-type V6 and V8 and they are in a different league than Z4. Handling is amazing, mind numbing acceleration and sweet exhaust note. Although I do agree with another poster who mentioned that steering on new 911 has better feedback despite F type having hydraulic steering.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 06:49 AM   #50
wparente
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

For anyone in the USA that has DirectTv, they are running a continuous loop commercial for the F-Type a 1/2 hour in length on channel 111 until Monday morning (4am??). 1/2 of it is Justen Bell and Tommy Kendal doing laps with witty commentary around COTA. Like I said originally, the noise coming out of that car is interesting to say the least.
      07-27-2013, 07:11 AM   #51
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

so top spec is 92k base and 35is is 66k. One of the main tipping points that I got the 35iS was the hard top. Its my only can and didnt want to put up with a cloth top roof, thus came down to SLK and Z4, was easy choice.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #52
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

I was at the Newport (RI) boat show last weekend.
Jag brought 2 F Types.
There are some very nice features of these machines.
Take a look at the Carbon Fiber inlay on the wheels. I will take a set of those.
Look at the headlights. Nice
Nice wrap around interior BUT felt claustrophic.
Like the flush door handles.
This machine does have some very nice lines.
Visual dislikes and concerns:
The gap where the soft top meets the windshield had to be 2 inches wide and was just apeice of rubber. This looked terrible. It was almost as if the top was designed too short to mate with the windshield. Beyond that, is it only a matter of time until this leaks, if this is the finsihed product.
I will take my 35i , Thank you. ( unless I can have both in garage for the F Type future leaks)
Trunk- What trunk?
Attached Images

2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #53
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Thx for the pix. The car is a looker but Jag screwed up imho on several fronts: having a softtop, not having a DCT and the laughable trunk-space (esp since it's a softtop!!).
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #54
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

I like the idea of an SC v8 a great deal but am having trouble getting my head around the pricing. I would personally go with a 991 for that money
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #55
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
I like the idea of an SC v8 a great deal but am having trouble getting my head around the pricing. I would personally go with a 991 for that money
Ya, that too, crazy expensive, esp taking into consideration the -ives I've listed above.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #56
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Ya, that too, crazy expensive, esp taking into consideration the -ives I've listed above.
it will be interesting to see what the market thinks.

all of the things we discussed can be overcome if the "gotta have it" factor is high enough.

And there is always the asia-pacific market, where I think sometimes things are purchased just because they have foreign logos, are flashy and are hugely expensive
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #57
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Didn't read the thread, but have anyone of you actually seen it in flesh?

When it was first announced, I was all over it. Quite a looker for sure, especially compared to the XK. Saw one in the garage at work the other day and I have to say... the Z definitely looks better, and I don't think its buyer's remorse talking either. With the soft top up, the rear looks... like a soft top, which is a shame considering how I think the rear sheet metal is nicely designed. The profile view is questionable too. I do like the face of it, but how often do people get to see the front?

Off-topic, but I hope the Stingray looks as good as it does in person, unlike the F-Type IMO. Can't speak for performance or sound like some of you are commenting on, but with a starting price of 70k+, I would rather get into a Porsche S anyday over the F-Type.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #58
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
it will be interesting to see what the market thinks.

all of the things we discussed can be overcome if the "gotta have it" factor is high enough.

And there is always the asia-pacific market, where I think sometimes things are purchased just because they have foreign logos, are flashy and are hugely expensive
I would agree with you, except that Jaguar is owned by Tata. Indian manufacture isn't exactly top tier when it comes to automotive.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 09:10 PM   #59
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarZ4 View Post
I would agree with you, except that Jaguar is owned by Tata. Indian manufacture isn't exactly top tier when it comes to automotive.
I thought all F type manufacturer was made in Birmingham UK

Do Chinese customers avoid JLA (jaguar land rover) products regardless of brand history and country of manufacturer because it is owned by Tata?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #60
Frank Costanza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 540i/6, Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarZ4 View Post
Didn't read the thread, but have anyone of you actually seen it in flesh?

Saw one in the garage at work the other day and I have to say... the Z definitely looks better, and I don't think its buyer's remorse talking either. With the soft top up, the rear looks... like a soft top, which is a shame considering how I think the rear sheet metal is nicely designed. The profile view is questionable too. I do like the face of it, but how often do people get to see the front?
Agreed. I've seen a few on the road and it doesn't look that special. It's a nice looking car no doubt, but I think the Z4 is a better looking car top up or down.

Quote:
I thought all F type manufacturer was made in Birmingham UK

Do Chinese customers avoid JLA (jaguar land rover) products regardless of brand history and country of manufacturer because it is owned by Tata?
Tata obviously have no engineering know how to add, but they do have financial resources to throw at it. Regardless I don't see them being able to out build the Germans. Between the Z4 & F-Type & 991 'Vert, the Z4 is superior engineering for less money ie. better value and the 991 is a better car for the same money.

When Mercedes debuts the SLC and its priced at the F-Type, 911, R8 V8 price point It will be hard to make a case the Jag against all those cars. I anticipate that Jag will be offering deep discounts on these things in the future.
      09-24-2013, 10:58 PM   #61
R1robot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5i

911, F-type and Vantage comparisons
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 11:48 PM   #62
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

This is OT, but what's up w/ the British car industry? Virtually every major maker is foreign-owned (Jag/LR-Indian; Lotus-Malaysian; Aston Martin-was Kuwaiti until recently...back in UK hands? Bentley/Mini/RR-German) - kit cars imo like Ariel don't count. Also, the technology's not too impressive, save for McLaren (Bahrainese); they invariably seem to rely upon low-tech stuff to grab headlines, e.g. Ariel, Caterham, Lotus.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #63
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

I think Aston Martin is owned by Fiat.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0