New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

03-28-2023, 03:22 AM   #287
B21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E89 Atacama Yellow 35is

If you already have a properly working idrive then the MMI box seems to be the best choice..

If you use a smartphone then using its facilities through a MMI box IMHO is the best route..

High res isn’t really an issue in the real world when driving..the car play rendition of the interface doesn’t need hi res and helps keep your eyes on the road..

If you don’t have idrive then an android unit in its location driven primarily by a copy of an idrive controller then is your best option..

All IMHO
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-14-2023, 07:15 PM   #288
JayPyh
Registered
Rep
Drives: E89

Just a warning from a very bad experience for anyone wanting to buy a screen with CarPlay/Android auto from Alibaba. Bought one Viknav custom fit E89 unit (they have many Viknav stores on there, all is the same business) for 777$. It worked 2 weeks very unreliability, unstable, crashes, won’t connect, etc, then total crashed while changing letter size (!), no reboot or hard reset possible. Customer service from Viknav told me it’s my fault for installing Google apps (that’s what it’s for!). After trying to troubleshoot in vain, they told me to send it back for refund, which I did, then they don’t answer any emails, that was 8 months ago, still no refund, no answer. So stay away from them, friendly advice.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 04:43 AM   #289
Jakeinaka
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 20i

Anyone still using these Android screens? Would be interesting to get a long term review from anyone who is....
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 05:44 PM   #290
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

I've been using the one in my M4 for a few years now. It's an earlier one that lets you go between displaying the original iDrive or a full Android tablet essentially instead of having Android Auto (which I'd prefer). It's gotten about the level of update support that I expected (none) so it's now a very out of date version of Android but everything still works perfectly.
Appreciate 0