New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-28-2021, 11:40 AM   #45
clickclickboom
Private First Class
52
Rep
158
Posts

Drives: Rust Bucket
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

I use a 6% rule. For you thats $360/mo. I'm either paying a car payment with it and/or putting it in its own car account.
Appreciate 2
Mosaud19981463.50
selbyp93152.00
      10-28-2021, 12:52 PM   #46
ASAP
Major General
ASAP's Avatar
No_Country
4651
Rep
5,465
Posts

Drives: M2C
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickclickboom View Post
I use a 6% rule. For you thats $360/mo. I'm either paying a car payment with it and/or putting it in its own car account.
would that not be relative to the down payment?

You can make the payment $99 if you want.
__________________
2020 HS M2C DCT 763M, lots of CF (Perfect)
2 x N54 (Unreliable Junk)
1 x N55 (Slow)
Appreciate 1
Mosaud19981463.50
      10-28-2021, 01:17 PM   #47
clickclickboom
Private First Class
52
Rep
158
Posts

Drives: Rust Bucket
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

As long as that down payment came out of the car account.
Appreciate 1
Mosaud19981463.50
      10-28-2021, 01:53 PM   #48
Mosaud1998
Major
United_States
1464
Rep
1,385
Posts

Drives: E90 328
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickclickboom View Post
As long as that down payment came out of the car account.
Uhhhh that would come out by selling my current car.

But I don't NEED a new car. It's more of a WANT.

Rather keep that money and invest it. Once I actually need a car, I'll buy one
Appreciate 2
      10-28-2021, 02:05 PM   #49
freakystyly
Captain
853
Rep
846
Posts

Drives: F22 240i 6MT
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

I almost was in the same boat, sold the E90 because it was causing more grief than it was worth. Luckily it was before the used car boom so I made off like a bandit.

I know from earlier posts that your car is in mint condition. I hope you are able to keep it for the long term, they are great cars as you well know, and there isn't much in the affordable market that offers the same level of driver engagement anymore.
Appreciate 1
Mosaud19981463.50
      10-28-2021, 02:46 PM   #50
Mosaud1998
Major
United_States
1464
Rep
1,385
Posts

Drives: E90 328
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
I almost was in the same boat, sold the E90 because it was causing more grief than it was worth. Luckily it was before the used car boom so I made off like a bandit.

I know from earlier posts that your car is in mint condition. I hope you are able to keep it for the long term, they are great cars as you well know, and there isn't much in the affordable market that offers the same level of driver engagement anymore.

It's gotta get some light work done to it. I think the Fuel Pressure Regulator is on its way out. That's around $150 to replace. Also, the LCI tail light issue hit me. Ordering taillights too.

I just spent $280 last week to get the rear wheel bearing replaced (that's normal wear and tear). I mean, I go and look at newer BMWs and come home and look at mine and I'm like, "Man these new ones don't really look as good as mine" I mean, I've got like 2-3 small dents and some very minor rock chips.

But overall, my cars in like-new shape. Maybe I'll get all 4 wheels refinished and those dents pulled out. Car will be brand new!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 11:01 AM   #51
shimmy23
e90 daddymobile
shimmy23's Avatar
1517
Rep
2,656
Posts

Drives: e90 IB M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: WA

iTrader: (2)

OP, you've posted on here many times asking for advice. I've browsed your threads enough to come to the conclusion that you already know what to do in most situations and really we're just reinforcing what you already know you should do. Follow your gut. You've got this
__________________
-brandon

e90 IB journal

Appreciate 1
Mosaud19981463.50
      10-29-2021, 12:07 PM   #52
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
F30lolz's Avatar
United_States
5259
Rep
3,194
Posts

Drives: 09 335i/11 CTS Coupe/15 428 GC
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Miami, FL/Shelbyville, IN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 CTS Coupe  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
2015 428 GC  [0.00]
Everyone has given sound advice here so I won’t add my 2 cents. However:

$7k at worst for your trade in PLUS $10k down? Why not hope for a 340 to come across the lot or maybe on your day off head with someone from the dealership to the auction and buy a pre-owned 340 there? Is a new car a must have?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorKTM View Post
Also our E90 330 and 325 will soon have some sort of boost. So there is actually more of a chance to get more hp out of a 330 then a 335 in my opinion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmf80 View Post
Seems like ur out of touch with baseball a bit. A few years behind.
You didnít know who Hader was. And Kershaw is a mess in the playoffs. No thanks
Appreciate 2
Mosaud19981463.50
vreihen166234.00
      10-29-2021, 12:15 PM   #53
Mosaud1998
Major
United_States
1464
Rep
1,385
Posts

Drives: E90 328
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
OP, you've posted on here many times asking for advice. I've browsed your threads enough to come to the conclusion that you already know what to do in most situations and really we're just reinforcing what you already know you should do. Follow your gut. You've got this
Thank you, I'll try! Don't want to mess anything up that'll bite me in the ass when I'm older.

I'll pass on a new/used car. I don't need one. With my car just hitting 75k miles, I've got plenty of life left on it.
Appreciate 1
vreihen166234.00
      10-29-2021, 12:26 PM   #54
Mosaud1998
Major
United_States
1464
Rep
1,385
Posts

Drives: E90 328
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
Everyone has given sound advice here so I wonít add my 2 cents. However:

$7k at worst for your trade in PLUS $10k down? Why not hope for a 340 to come across the lot or maybe on your day off head with someone from the dealership to the auction and buy a pre-owned 340 there? Is a new car a must have?
Not a bad idea.

Nah, a new car isn't a must. Really a new/used car is more of a WANT than a NEED. My 09 328 just hit 75k miles. It's got plenty of life left in it
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 12:28 PM   #55
wtwo3
Colonel
wtwo3's Avatar
4521
Rep
2,112
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 40i; 2020 M340i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
would that not be relative to the down payment?

You can make the payment $99 if you want.
I'm sure he's talking about "effective" monthly payment.
__________________
2020 BMW X5 xdrive40i
2020 BMW M340i xdrive

2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400... 2010 Lexus RX 350... 2008 Lexus IS 350...
2000 Nissan Maxima GLE... 1993 Nissan Maxima GXE
Appreciate 1
Mosaud19981463.50
      10-29-2021, 12:29 PM   #56
Alfisti
Colonel
3022
Rep
2,058
Posts

Drives: 2013 X3 (Totaled)
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaud1998 View Post
Thank you, I'll try! Don't want to mess anything up that'll bite me in the ass when I'm older.

I'll pass on a new/used car. I don't need one. With my car just hitting 75k miles, I've got plenty of life left on it.
I am going to now contradict myself a bit but, you cannot JUST plan for the future, there is balance to be had. It just feels you may be a bit too early though, not every decision has to be justified economically, sometimes you just gotta have fun.
Appreciate 2
      10-29-2021, 12:32 PM   #57
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
CTinline-six's Avatar
United_States
5912
Rep
2,806
Posts

Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Have you driven the new BMWs?

I'll admit, I'm probably a rare bird being a millennial who prefers more analog vehicles, but I can't say anything I've driven from BMW really impressed me. Sure the extra power is great, but that's really the only advantage in what I value in the driving experience over my current always been paid for lowly E90.

BMW is going to have to try harder than fake engine noise and waving my hand to turn up the volume to get me to drop the cash for a new car.
__________________
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 2
Mosaud19981463.50
vreihen166234.00
      10-29-2021, 12:33 PM   #58
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
CTinline-six's Avatar
United_States
5912
Rep
2,806
Posts

Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I am going to now contradict myself a bit but, you cannot JUST plan for the future, there is balance to be had. It just feels you may be a bit too early though, not every decision has to be justified economically, sometimes you just gotta have fun.
Agreed. You want to be somewhere in the middle. If everything is done purely for financial reasons you will not enjoy anything. This is why I think making some upgrades to your car to help you enjoy it a bit more while not spending the money on a new one is a happy medium.
__________________
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
Mosaud19981463.50
      10-29-2021, 12:36 PM   #59
Mosaud1998
Major
United_States
1464
Rep
1,385
Posts

Drives: E90 328
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Have you driven the new BMWs?

I'll admit, I'm probably a rare bird being a millennial who prefers more analog vehicles, but I can't say anything I've driven from BMW really impressed me. Sure the extra power is great, but that's really the only advantage in what I value in the driving experience over my current always been paid for lowly E90.

BMW is going to have to try harder than fake engine noise and waving my hand to turn up the volume to get me to drop the cash for a new car.
Nope, haven't driven any new BMWs. Maybe I should
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 12:39 PM   #60
Mosaud1998
Major
United_States
1464
Rep
1,385
Posts

Drives: E90 328
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Agreed. You want to be somewhere in the middle. If everything is done purely for financial reasons you will not enjoy anything. This is why I think making some upgrades to your car to help you enjoy it a bit more while not spending the money on a new one is a happy medium.
What kind of upgrades can I make to a N52

I mean, I like to keep my cars stock. But, maybe refinishing the wheels, getting some of those small dents out, and tinting the windows a bit might make me happy.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 01:01 PM   #61
Alfisti
Colonel
3022
Rep
2,058
Posts

Drives: 2013 X3 (Totaled)
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

That's actually a GREAT idea. Maybe get a wrap done, just to change things up, it's like the girlfriend getting a new set of lingerie, keeps you interested for a bit.
Appreciate 3
F30lolz5259.00
Mosaud19981463.50
      10-29-2021, 02:05 PM   #62
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
upstatedoc's Avatar
7025
Rep
2,126
Posts

Drives: blue streak
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: not downstate

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaud1998 View Post
What kind of upgrades can I make to a N52
.
look at my sig, did those mods for ~$1700. AA claimed 10-20hp gain, exhaust was my favorite though
__________________
2018 Stinger GT
1997 Toyota T100
2009 E90 N51 /Active Autowerke Stage 2 tune/BMW Performance Exhaust/
Countermeasure enthusiast.
Appreciate 1
Mosaud19981463.50
      10-29-2021, 02:05 PM   #63
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
CTinline-six's Avatar
United_States
5912
Rep
2,806
Posts

Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
That's actually a GREAT idea. Maybe get a wrap done, just to change things up, it's like the girlfriend getting a new set of lingerie, keeps you interested for a bit.
__________________
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
Mosaud19981463.50
      10-29-2021, 02:40 PM   #64
Esteban
Major General
Esteban's Avatar
United_States
9678
Rep
7,071
Posts

Drives: Not a BMW
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: The Golden State

iTrader: (0)

Buy used, two or three years old. You'll save a lot of money and you'll still get a new (to you) car.
Appreciate 2
Mosaud19981463.50
vreihen166234.00
      10-29-2021, 02:49 PM   #65
Esteban
Major General
Esteban's Avatar
United_States
9678
Rep
7,071
Posts

Drives: Not a BMW
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: The Golden State

iTrader: (0)

Or buy one just coming off a lease...
Appreciate 2
Mosaud19981463.50
vreihen166234.00
      10-29-2021, 03:01 PM   #66
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
2539
Rep
1,573
Posts

Drives: Model 3, Mustang GT, F350
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Florida & NC

iTrader: (1)

You can also look at even or close to even swaps. Sometimes I just get bored of a car (a lot of times). I don't want or need anything specifically, I just want something different. So I just look around to see what I can get for the same price my current car is worth. Plus I tend to enjoy the hunt more so than actually buying the car so. Another option.
Appreciate 1
Mosaud19981463.50
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 PM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST