New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

05-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #67
paprmkr
BMW Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 M60 w/M-Performance ki

I love the photos. Very nice. I just pickup a 40D to start and I know what u mean about expensive hobby. But really u should frame those and sell. I live near Santa Barbara and on weekend local artist sell art at beach and yours would sell trust me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hreed View Post
Hey all,

I haven't been around on the forums much lately; however, with my recent purchase of the 5D MkIII I am sure I'll be on talking to you fellas more often! I've been busy and don't have time to go in depth about everything that I love and the magnitude of my upgrade from a Rebel to full frame professional* but I will add some notes.

A hobby turned into an expensive hobby - photography and cinematography has kept me out of boredom the past year. I am still relativity unknowing to all the camera lingo that floats around, but I can assure you I am learning fast everything I need to know about the 5D Mk III. Of course you guys can also help me on that. Many of you also might question my big leap from the T3i to this beast... Well I felt the need to not upgrade again and really focus on building my arsenal of full-frame lenses - L glass if you will. I think we can all agree that since we are members of a BMW forum we seemingly can afford expensive toys... Right boys? For me I am graduating high school this coming may so buying (yes I bought my car, in full) my car and affording this hobby has been interesting to say the least! Quite fun actually.

Anyway, currently my Camera backpack holds:
5D MK III
24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM
50mm 1.8
Speedlite 600EX-RT (coming this week)

First impressions of the Camera I was blown away. The build quality and body durability is top-notch. The weight is reassuring in that sense and I am very excited about the camera being weather proof. Moreover, taking my first shots on the camera at night, I found the ISO capabilities to be amazing. Many of my photos require almost zero to no NR or correction. I love the FPS on High Continuous shutter aswell. The 1080 video capabilities... WOW. And every single other thing about the camera! My only let down regarding Canons build is the lack of a swivel screen. I know the argument was for keeping it weathered sealed, but it sure would be nice for hard angle shots, videos, corners, squeezes etc... I know y'all already know every inch and spec of this beauty but it is the time of night where I am rambling and I like to share. Ill spare the rest.

Well here are some of my first experimentation shots that I was able to process at school. For some reason my computer is nearly incapable at processing the RAW files - I need to just download light room 4 myself...

Attachment 807729
Attachment 807730
Attachment 807731
Attachment 807732
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #68
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
I can't believe someone would still have Canon AE-1. I have one. Takes the best photos ever!
My dad keeps bugging me to call canon the company for a new case. He wants the same one as the original.

Last edited by positiveions; 06-23-2013 at 07:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #69
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

I still have a Canon AE-1 too... never getting rid of it.
      06-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #70
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
I still have a Canon AE-1 too... never getting rid of it.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #71
druu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8

I've still got a Canon A-1 myself. Everytime I use it I think about how spoiled we are now with things like autofocus. I date myself everytime I use it too haha.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 07:46 AM   #72
Evelyna42
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Smile Which is better, prime or zoom?

I personally like zoom lenses because of their versatility. Maybe I'm lazy, but that's just my opinion! I can see the value in primes too (i have a 50mm in my bag), but it just feels so restrictive sometimes. What do you guys use?

Also, random question, but for night sky photography would a prime or a zoom be better? In that context, I can see why a prime might be the way to go because of better sharpness, and it's not like you'd be zooming in and out since it's a long exposure situation. This article https://www.photographytalk.com/astr...-for-beginners seems to support that position since their recommended lenses are all primes. Just wondering if anyone has experience in that department.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 08:48 AM   #73
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelyna42 View Post
I personally like zoom lenses because of their versatility. Maybe I'm lazy, but that's just my opinion! I can see the value in primes too (i have a 50mm in my bag), but it just feels so restrictive sometimes. What do you guys use?

Also, random question, but for night sky photography would a prime or a zoom be better? In that context, I can see why a prime might be the way to go because of better sharpness, and it's not like you'd be zooming in and out since it's a long exposure situation. This article .
I own primes, like my 600/f4 and 85/f1.4, but those are special purpose lens. For way less money, you can own the 200-600mm and be almost as effective, in most light.

My 24-105mm is my bread and butter lens. The quality is excellent. A single 50mm (which is what many of us used, back in the film slr days) is too restrictive. With a quality zoom, you can vary your working distance, but you can also change the perspective from every distance. I also carry the 12-24mm, for architectural or "big sky" shots. At the other end, I use the 100-400mm, but a 70-200mm can be a work horse lens.

About night astro, in general, you want a wide, fast lens, like a 14mm f/2.8; however, but f/4 will do, thanks to the high dynamic range of many of today's cameras:
Milky Way Over Delicate Arch (Explored) by David Stephens, on Flickr
      10-09-2019, 11:11 AM   #74
Evelyna42
Rep

Good camera for car videos?

I've been into car photography for quite a while but now I want to get into making videos of cars, like walkthroughs, race footage, etc. My question is, what's a good camera for that?

I've done quite a bit of research and a lot of people seem to think that Sony cameras are the cream of the crop when it comes to video capabilities. I hear a lot of good things about the Panasonic GH5 too. Unfortunately, that camera is way out of my price range, as are most Sony cameras.

I've also read a few articles about the Canon 80D (like this one: https://www.photographytalk.com/canon-eos-80d-review). I know it's a bit older and it's a DSLR instead of a mirrorless, but the price is much better and I like that there are dozens of lenses that work with this particular camera. It shoots 4K too, so that's nice. And according to that article linked above it has a couple of autofocus systems for video that help keep a moving subject nice and sharp. That all sounds good, but I've never used a Canon camera for video before. Does anyone have experience with the 80D or a similar camera? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 11:13 AM   #75
Evelyna42
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hreed View Post
Dave you make many good points, although I am partial on the subject. Personally Prime Shooting makes me think about elements of design more, such as composition. I like the movement/activity levels primes offer. In the past (t3i 50mm 1.8 days) I found myself loving the quality and aperture play the prime offered, but also felt mysteriously restricted. I thought some of my best results came from that flimsy lens. Maybe that is because my kit 17-55 5.6 would not do the job to my liking back then. Today I like my standard zoom lens because it is high-quality multi-purpose. I classify it as my practicle everywhere lens. Any of my work looks great shot through this lens. But I do find my more artistic side wanting a 35, 50, or 85 for the aperture and strange enough for the restricted frame! It's a odd thing: prime vs. zoom. To each his own. We will see what gets added next to the kit For now, I can't complain. Really.
I've been using my phone to take casual photos of my car but I think I'm ready to take the next step to get better quality photos. I used to have an old Canon DSLR (I think it was a T3i) but I gave it to my brother. I liked it, so I think getting a newer Canon would be the way to go. I don't want to buy brand new, so I guess my first question is if anyone has suggestions for older Canon cameras that would be good? I like the 80D based off of reviews I've read (https://www.photographytalk.com/canon-eos-80d-review). It seems like a good buy for the features it has (I like the 4K video option for sure). My second question is where I can look for this camera used? I've heard of places like Adorama but never bought used cameras before. Just looking for some pointers I guess!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 08:20 PM   #76
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Resurrects a 6-year old thread, mentions the same tired link in each of her posts. Fishy at best.

Let's see some photos of your i8 Evelyna42.
Appreciate 0