New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-21-2009, 06:52 PM   #1
HK bimmer
Private
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i Convertible

Open/close the hardtop when the car is moving

As somebody says that the hardtop can be moved when the speed is lower than 5 km/h, I have tried it on a demo car. It's true!
I just wonder if one can alter the motion sensor so that the hardtop can be operated at, say, < 30 km/h.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
Otago
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 Z4 sDrive 30i manual

Hmm, that's interesting. Some folks in the forum confirmed you couldn't operate the roof when the car in motion. Some follks even mentioned parkbrake ON is necessary for roof operation. Lomay, could you verify that?

It's cool to operate the roof when car at low speed.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2009, 09:38 PM   #3
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

The parking brake does not have to be on. I have not tried it while moving. I would be concerned with any speed beyond creeping due to potentially twisting the mechanism over bumps, etc.

I have put the top up or down at a traffic light. I've wondered what the folks behind me think.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 03:44 AM   #4
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
The parking brake does not have to be on. I have not tried it while moving. I would be concerned with any speed beyond creeping due to potentially twisting the mechanism over bumps, etc.

I have put the top up or down at a traffic light. I've wondered what the folks behind me think.
I've done this also, although you do need to make sure the traffic light will be red for long enough!

If the roof is moving (your finger is on the button) then you can start driving the car and it will continue to either open or close the roof until you let go of the button. I think if you let go of the button whilst the car is in motion, you might need to stop completely to resume the roof operation.
      07-22-2009, 07:46 AM   #5
HK bimmer
Private
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer View Post
I've done this also, although you do need to make sure the traffic light will be red for long enough!

If the roof is moving (your finger is on the button) then you can start driving the car and it will continue to either open or close the roof until you let go of the button. I think if you let go of the button whilst the car is in motion, you might need to stop completely to resume the roof operation.
I have also tried that on the demo car, started moving the car while my finger was pressing the hardtop operating button. Once the car was moving in perceptible speed, the hardtop operation stopped immediately, no matter what intermediate or awkard position it was in. Then I could only continue the rest of the motion by stopping the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 11:10 AM   #6
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Why even trying to do this on hardtop convt??????
No reason to ask for $$$$ repair bill.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
HK bimmer
Private
Hong Kong
Rep

Traffic in Hong Kong is terrible. When I meet traffic jams, I might want to close the top because of the hot climate, the polluted city air and the loud noise generated by the double-decker bus next to me. But, stopping the car completely for a total of 20 seconds in very slowly moving traffic causes a lot of embarassment and potential danger when the cars behind you start changing lanes and overtaking you.
I just don't want to accept many friends' comment: "Cabrio is not suitable for HK".....
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 09:06 PM   #8
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

My commute is 8 miles of rural roads, 8 miles of congested interstate and 1 mile of city traffic. I'll often have the top down at first, and at the long traffic light to get on the interstate, I'll put it up.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 01:41 AM   #9
lomay
Private
Rep
Drives: S23i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otago View Post
Hmm, that's interesting. Some folks in the forum confirmed you couldn't operate the roof when the car in motion. Some follks even mentioned parkbrake ON is necessary for roof operation. Lomay, could you verify that?

It's cool to operate the roof when car at low speed.

Cheers

Z4 Beemer has confirmed that it can operate at slow.... speed.
I agreed it is cool and convenient.
However, I am not comfortable to do that while on the move, even slowly.
I had a look at the complicated mechanism hinges/hydraulic rams etc and I just don't want any part got a bit of mis-alignment particularly if you are operating the roof while driving on rough surface or hit a porthole
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 09:47 AM   #10
oeap
Rep
Drives: zzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK bimmer View Post
Traffic in Hong Kong is terrible. When I meet traffic jams, I might want to close the top because of the hot climate, the polluted city air and the loud noise generated by the double-decker bus next to me. But, stopping the car completely for a total of 20 seconds in very slowly moving traffic causes a lot of embarassment and potential danger when the cars behind you start changing lanes and overtaking you.
I just don't want to accept many friends' comment: "Cabrio is not suitable for HK".....
HK bimmer,

after i felt in love with the z4, i started to hate people says cabrio is not suitable for hk too
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 10:16 AM   #11
lux good
Banned
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 23i & Q5 2.0 TSFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK bimmer View Post
I have also tried that on the demo car, started moving the car while my finger was pressing the hardtop operating button. Once the car was moving in perceptible speed, the hardtop operation stopped immediately, no matter what intermediate or awkard position it was in. Then I could only continue the rest of the motion by stopping the car.
I'd hate to be the guy who's bought one of these demos you lot have knackered operating the roof while moving!!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 06:21 PM   #12
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

This is why I will never buy a demo again...even if nothing is wrong your mind is always suspicious about the cars past!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 02:56 AM   #13
Mick70
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35i (before: 23i)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux good View Post
I'd hate to be the guy who's bought one of these demos you lot have knackered operating the roof while moving!!
It is said that opening the hardtop should be no problem up to 50 km/h. www.cabrio-module.de is selling a module permitting to open & close the hardtop at one fingertip and up to a selectable speed of up to 50 km/h, see the video here.

The owners of that module might have had some issues with "electronics voodoo", at least until the manufacturer has made some final changes this week - but problems with the hardtop's mechanics have not been reported so far.

Of course there is still no guarantee and the car might even lose its approval for driving on German roads (because the 3rd brake light must be visible at all speeds according to strict German law) - but I still think that I will go for it next spring.

Best regards

Mick

Edit: The manufacturer does not sell to the US due to liability issues, other countries could be served upon special request.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 07:49 AM   #14
HK bimmer
Private
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeap View Post
HK bimmer,

after i felt in love with the z4, i started to hate people says cabrio is not suitable for hk too
The weather of Hong Kong in the past few days is excellent for opening the tops of our new Z4. Great !
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 09:54 AM   #15
mrboon
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Speeeed

Works up to 7km/h here in europe.
Appreciate 0