New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

07-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
eugenelee
Singapore
Rep
Drives: z4 sdrive 23i

Unhappy Transmission selection problems (6sp auto)

Hi guys,

My 6 speed auto box is not letting me shift the lever left to engage DS and M modes. It's stuck to selecting only PRND.

However, I can still engage Sport and Sport+ via the buttons on the centre console and I can change gears manually via flappy paddles.

Has anyone encountered this problem before? Is there a quick reset or am I looking at a gear selector change?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
eugenelee
Singapore
Rep

Anyhow, miraculously got my gear selector to work with a little tough love from my fist.

Seems if I engage the e-handbrake then try the selector with my foot on the brake pedal, it releases the lock on the gater which opens into the M/S side. This happened for me only with much pushing I must say.

Seems to be alright now. Hope it doesn't recur.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
ChuckB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 2.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenelee
Anyhow, miraculously got my gear selector to work with a little tough love from my fist.

Seems if I engage the e-handbrake then try the selector with my foot on the brake pedal, it releases the lock on the gater which opens into the M/S side. This happened for me only with much pushing I must say.

Seems to be alright now. Hope it doesn't recur.
Haven't seen or heard of anything like this. I do not think there is any lockout build in, so suspect something may have jammed or got a bit out of adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 01:17 AM   #4
eugenelee
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckB View Post
Haven't seen or heard of anything like this. I do not think there is any lockout build in, so suspect something may have jammed or got a bit out of adjustment.
That's what I'm thinking too, ChuckB. Well, it's fine for now. But when the problem arose, I made an appointment with the dealers for them to take a look at it so I'll get them to give it the once over still. They'll probably make me look like a shmuck for bringing in a perfectly servicable car but let's see.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 10:25 AM   #5
Al Blue4.6l
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e89 Z4 sDrive35i

There is a built in lockout - you can't move the selector over unless its in drive
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #6
eugenelee
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Blue4.6l
There is a built in lockout - you can't move the selector over unless its in drive
You're right Al. But my problem is I can't engage sport even when I'm in drive. At the same time I can shift between PRND without pressing the lock release. But I brought it in and they found that my gater was kaput. Changed it under warranty. But disappointing. My baby's only 2 months old.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #7
z4z4z4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3

My experience is the opposite, sort of....
I always drive in manual mode with lever positioned to the left, but when I turn off the engine the lever attempts, but fails, to return PRND side. The lever bounces left and right, but not Right enough, until I manually assist it to the right side where it resides in Park.
I don't remember when I first got the car of having to move lever back to the right side manually before stopping engine.
      07-24-2012, 08:27 AM   #8
eugenelee
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4z4z4
I always drive in manual mode with lever positioned to the left, but when I turn off the engine the lever attempts, but fails, to return PRND side. The lever bounces left and right, but not Right enough, until I manually assist it to the right side where it resides in Park.
I don't remember when I first got the car of having to move lever back to the right side manually before stopping engine.
Sounds like a safety measure to make sure you don't start it in gear. May not be a problem with the gate unless you can't select a gear function or return it to one. Is it fixed now?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 12:23 AM   #9
ChuckB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 2.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4z4z4
Something is very much out of adjustment, you should get a warning when trying to stop the engine while it is not in Park. Not sure if this is different between my Euro model and the ones back home, but that is how the ones over here work (over here being Germany). You should get this checked, it would be REALLY bad if the Park prawn engaged while the car is moving (granted, a worst case long shot).
Appreciate 0