New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-24-2019, 11:46 AM   #1
X3n0
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35i

Musty AC smell

I've had the dreaded musty AC smell upon starting the car up, or when running the fans (without AC active). I've tried running the heat for extended periods while driving with no success.

From what I've read, the contamination of bacteria/mold/spores is likely to be on/around the evaporator. I want to try and spray that area with Lysol or some other anti-bacterial disinfectant, but I'm not certain where the fresh air intake is on the z4 or if there's direct access without removing panels from within the engine bay; I've found several guides for other models, but not e89. I think it's the plastic grate nearby the passenger side windshield, but I'm not sure.

I think that there might be access under the glovebox after removing the cabin filter, but I'd prefer to find the exterior intake as well.

I find the AC re-circulation control's display to be a bit confusing...in order to make sure that the fresh air vent-flap is open before I spray, which of theLeft/Right LED lights should be lit? Is it left LED=auto, right LED=recirc no LED=fresh? The manual doesn't specify.

Has anyone successfully defeated the smell for more than a short duration?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by X3n0; 07-25-2019 at 03:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 01:48 PM   #2
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

swap the cabin filters, and lysol has always done it for me. May take a few tries....and yes, at the windshield
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 10:24 PM   #3
gobbell1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 30Si

+1 on the Lysol.

Crank the car
Set your ac to outside air
Turn fan on max
Spray Lysol in outside vent underneath windshield
Let car run for several minutes