New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

02-20-2021, 04:47 AM   #1
supercarfreak
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4

What's your input? Water pump going bad?

Hello all z4 members so I need your help on this issue i'm having. I have a e89 2012 z4 35i w/ 103,000 miles and a engine over heating warning came on the Idrive. This issue occurred a couple of days ago when Houston was in a "winter storm". I think it could possibly be the thermostats or waterpump or maybe all together. Here's some signs listed below

1. Fan kicked in high when the car reach 250 on oil gauge.
2. engine light is on (yellow) if i leave it on for 5-10 mins longer after yellow light then it would turn red.

There's something thats weird i found out, might be related or maybe not.
-Oil measurement on the idrive is saying its inactive, also the heat setting isn't blowing after 5-10 mins when the car is on to warm up.

So today (temperature is around 45degree) I decided to turn on the car again and see if the issue would presume and it did. I'm actually surprised that the both thermostats and the waterpump would lasts this loong if thats the issue. Is there ways i can test if this theory is right or not?. If it is the waterpump or the thermostats anyone did a replacement on it yet?. The car is always park indoor and i do have the battery charge/ on a tender.

--Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 08:48 AM   #2
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

I would start with reading fault codes.

Maybe its possible to check waterpump condition by starting coolant bleeding procedure. That would turn on the pump to bleed the system with engine itself off. And you could hear it working + see in the coolant tank if coolant is circulated. Note during bleeding pump does switch on and off numerous times. Obvious problem indicators would be wierd noises or no noise at all.

Check if any plastic has come loose in the system... coolant tank level indicator for example can brake and then flow into waterpump blades and stop them spinning. Same can happen with the waterpump to head hose connector on the head side (near oil filter housing) that plastic fitting can brake aswell and pop off... or bits of it break off and again flow with coolant into watepump blades. There are aftermarket metal fittings you can buy to change out that plastic connector.

Waterpump and thermostat are usually replaced together. While you are in there type of thing. You dont want to do the job twice. So if you have to change your pump throw a new thermostat on there while you are at it.

Oil level inactive is a mystery to me. Failed sensor?
Again fault codes would tell you more.
      02-20-2021, 12:47 PM   #3
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

Sure sounds like a water pump to me (and possibly thermostat). You're damned lucky it's lasted this long. Mine went out (with similar symptoms) @60k and there's a class action suit pending against BMW on this component.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 02:42 PM   #4
supercarfreak
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
I would start with reading fault codes.

Maybe its possible to check waterpump condition by starting coolant bleeding procedure. That would turn on the pump to bleed the system with engine itself off. And you could hear it working + see in the coolant tank if coolant is circulated. Note during bleeding pump does switch on and off numerous times. Obvious problem indicators would be wierd noises or no noise at all.

Check if any plastic has come loose in the system... coolant tank level indicator for example can brake and then flow into waterpump blades and stop them spinning. Same can happen with the waterpump to head hose connector on the head side (near oil filter housing) that plastic fitting can brake aswell and pop off... or bits of it break off and again flow with coolant into watepump blades. There are aftermarket metal fittings you can buy to change out that plastic connector.

Waterpump and thermostat are usually replaced together. While you are in there type of thing. You dont want to do the job twice. So if you have to change your pump throw a new thermostat on there while you are at it.

Oil level inactive is a mystery to me. Failed sensor?
Again fault codes would tell you more.
I will definitely try the bleeding procedure this weekend when the weather gets a bit warmer. I have a scanner made just for BMW (ANEL 700), when I scan it can’t see any code for the water pump. I will definitely try to flash out all oil coolant and check if there’s any piece that could potentially fall into the hose.

Thanks for the reply.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 02:45 PM   #5
supercarfreak
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
Sure sounds like a water pump to me (and possibly thermostat). You're damned lucky it's lasted this long. Mine went out (with similar symptoms) @60k and there's a class action suit pending against BMW on this component.
-geez if only we can get it replace by the dealer, but small chances that the dealer will replace everyone Z’s. Good thing this is now my summer/weekend car. Did you do the replacement yourself?.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 04:48 PM   #6
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercarfreak View Post
-geez if only we can get it replace by the dealer, but small chances that the dealer will replace everyone Z’s. Good thing this is now my summer/weekend car. Did you do the replacement yourself?.
Nope. Dealer did the pump only for $1300 last year.
Appreciate 0