New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

02-14-2021, 05:40 PM   #1
MB_35i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 35i

Another Noob! Couple ?'s-

Hey folks- took the plunge with a ‘15 Black Sapphire Z4 35i, 31,000 miles on the clock- She’s fun to look at, fun to drive, fun to listen to in sport mode, fun to work on (haha I guess we’ll see). Done a fair amount of reading and learning, mostly on the N54 generically- Seems a glorious setup when it’s right, but keeping her there takes some vigilance. She’s quick enough for me, I’ll most likely keep things stock, except the run flats.

Couple questions:
Total noob- I’m hard wiring up a CTEK. I know to go under the hood, through the computer, etc. I’m assuming I can take off the black terminal cover under the positive lug under the hood, there is a place to permanently connect to? I can’t for the life of me get that cover off- is there a trick? Wiggled it, pryed it, tried to get the detents out with a pick tool. Afraid I’ll rip if off the firewall. I don’t want to connect direct to the lug (I don’t think), interfere at all with the red slide cover.

I read about and don’t understand the oil leaks- I guess the valve cover is plastic (?), but the oil filter housing? Just poor gaskets, or ? Seems fundamental- a bit surprising-

Otherwise, hope being a late model N54, she has outgrown some of the other issues I read about?- injectors I know, HPFP should be fine? Waste gates improved along the way?

Thx for any input, looking forward to this adventure- cool community! - Cheers, MB
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 06:29 PM   #2
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

The issue with the oil filter housing is that both coolant and oil are channeled though it.
Separately of course, but in close proximity. The flows being isolated by a rather fragile gasket. When the gasket becomes damaged (a common occurrence), oil mixes with coolant which is not a good thing. Naturally, you would never notice anything amiss from the outside. I happened to notice the coolant in the expansion tank was contaminated by oil which necessitated replacing the damaged gasket in the housing and flushing/replacing both the contaminated coolant and oil. This occurred at about 40k miles, as I recall, so keep an eye on the condition of your coolant.
Appreciate 1
NoQuarter164.00
      02-14-2021, 07:27 PM   #3
MB_35i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 35i

Hey Paris- thx for the heads up-
I'm aware of oil leaking on the belts and the maelstrom of issue that can result, engines eating belts, etc. That's at least visible to monitor- I haven't heard much about chocolate milkshake- something else I'll keep an eye out for, thx. I'm real careful to baby her cold, let her warm up good before getting frisky- That should help with everything I'd think- turbo's, I'd think seals, etc.
Appreciate 0