New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

02-25-2010, 02:09 PM   #23
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy 69 View Post
any thoughts on the Mootopia brand milk?
I can't find a website for the product but I've already said raw milk is perfection in my opinion and it's hard to improve on perfection.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 03:18 PM   #24
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Light View Post
Pasteurization is only 146 years old. Think about how many thousands of years humans have drank raw milk.

The contamination of milk will be determined by how the milk is handled, the conditions in which is collected, and by the health of the cow. Due to the much greater regulations on raw milk, the standards by which raw milk is collected and tested are superior to that of the dead milk from sick cows packed into pens and raised in their own feces and urine. Pasteurized milk collection doesn't have to be as strict as the farmers know they are going to heat it anyways. It is this unsanitary, fed-lot environment that is the catalyst for potential disease and sickness. These unsanitary conditions are what fostered the thought of heating milk to kill pathogens. Unfortunately, this heat also kills all benefecial bateria, destroys enzymes, destroys some vitamins and minerals, and dentaures proteins/amino acids.

The question to ask is how healthy of a cow can you be living in your own shit/urine and the shit/urine of others, pumped with antibiotics and synthetic hormone, and fed corn/soy/grain/crap when you're meant to eat grass? What type of product could you create given those parameters? Do you normally get hormones and antibiotics when you're healthy? Does pasteurization destroy synthetic hormone and antibiotics present in the milk? If the cows aren't sick and aren't in unsanitary conditions and the collection process is sanitary, is distorting the food by heating it necessary at all?

The incredible, perfect plan that mother nature has set up shouldn't be molested as it is perfect. You can't improve on perfect. The healthy bacteria that appears in raw milk from healthy cows fed the right diet on free range pasture serves to kill pathogens ON THEIR OWN without the need to heat the milk. Nature already has a built in mechanism, a checks and balances system, that has been perfected over time. It is this mix of beneficial bacteria, fats, vitamins, minerals, and enzymes that also assists the human immune system in defending itself from disease. It's a living food that fosters vitality.

The denaturing of proteins and fats in pasteurized/homogenized milk leads to poor digestion and assimilation of these proteins in the body which triggers degenerative, inflammatory, and auto-immune responses from the body resulting in IBS, fibromyalgia, atherosclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, Chron's disease, Celiac disease, autism, lactose intolerance, allergic reactions, etc. This denaturing of the milk doesn't occur with raw milk as the body is provided with the factors it needs to assimilate totally the food into the body. As a result, none of these inflammatory reactions occur.

I could continue this comparison but really don't see a need. As a health professional, I tell my clients to stay away from the white death -- table salt, white flour, white sugar, and pasteurized dairy -- as much as possible because of the understanding of the stressful, inflammatory environment that these processed foods create within the body. Body building experts of the early part of the century understood these very premises. If you read the works of Vince Gironda, a bodybuilding legend, he is extremely adamant about consuming raw milk and not pasteurized dairy. He mentions it over and over again the weight gaining and muscle building characteristics of raw dairy. This is when bodybuilding was about building an amazing physique and fostering top-notch health and exceptional endocrine and digestive health. Guy was in his best shape when he was 45 years old.

I propose that pasteurization doesn't benefit the health of the consumer in any way. What it does though is allow for sub-standard collections policies, continuation of the fed-lot operation, contributes to poor treatment of animals, supports the drug industry, and extends the shelf life of milk. It's about bigger production and cheaper production not about health or vitality. $$ is the name of the game.

Do your research and make the decision that's best for you.

http://www.realmilk.com/whichchoose.html

Keep drinking it. It is second to none in its ability to support your immune system, provide vitality, nourish the brain, and promote overall health. You have nothing to worry about.
Certainly a very thoughtful response. I think your statement about "do your research and make the decision that is best for you" is a good one.

The raw vs. pasteurized milk has for many years been controversial. You're right, pasteurization has in fact only been around for a relatively short period, but before it's invention raw milk was one of the major sources of food borne illnesses and one of the primary causes of infant mortality. Many scientists and health professionals think that pasteurization is one of the most, if not the most important advances in health in the past century.

In addition, raw milk is NOT federally-regulated, unlike pasteurized milk. Some states do have separate regulations related to raw milk production, but most do not.

And while I don't disagree with your statement regarding the unsavory practices of some dairy farms or "feed lots", without personally inspecting each dairy farm (not to mention possessing the appropriate knowledge of GMPs, HACCP and other food safety measures) and following the milk from cow to bottle, how could you ever know what kind of facility is producing the raw milk? Whether treated with antibiotics, growth hormones, etc, cows are still animals, and there are still severe risks associated with eating anything directly from any animal. Would I rather have raw milk from a small farm with good sanitary and animal health and welfare practices vs the large feedlot farm? Absolutely. But it doesn't mean that one is going to pose no risk, a risk much greater than that of pasteurized milk.

Many scientists have examined the nutritional content of both raw and pasteurized milk, and with the relatively new methods (heating to a very high temperature very quickly), it has been shown that there is no substantial nutritional benefit to drinking raw milk. Raw milk and pasteurized milk are equivalent in terms of protein, nutrient, fat and carbohydrate makeup. The author of one of the leading studies on this subject concluded: "The risks of drinking raw milk outweigh any nutritional benefits."

Personally, I would say that for most of the general population drinking raw milk is not a good idea. It is an absolutely no-no for children, pregnant women, or those with immune disorders. But as Bobby_Light said above, do your research and if you feel comfortable with who is selling the milk, the risks associated with consuming the product, and it's legal in your state - then that decision is yours.

But at the end of the day perhaps picking up a gallon of good ol' fashioned organic milk might be the best bet.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 03:33 PM   #25
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

^ Fare.

I did research the facility before just gulping down a glass. The facility is permitted, # on label, and the machinery to the cows were spotless..well you know what I mean.

One more question BL. The drinkable yogurts say pasteurized farm milk from Lucky Leyla Farms. Is that necessary to make yogurt?

Why not just use the raw milk?

Last edited by gonzo; 02-26-2010 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: fare not fair..doah.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 04:21 PM   #26
mcbeee
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 Z4 s35i & '03 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2003 Z4 3.0i  [5.00]
2001 Z3 3.0i  [0.00]
2009 Z4 s35i  [7.00]
I used to drink whole milk as a kid (pasteurized but whole), I've drunk fresh milk out of a cow, scooped the odd bit of grass from the bowl and enjoyed it immensely. The best was whole fresh cream, so thick you had to spoon it into your bowl or onto the pie , yum.
I've been lactose intolerant for about 15 years now so I can't enjoy it any more. As long as the place is licensed and maintains it's cleanliness I would useit (if I could)
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 04:31 PM   #27
DBFIU
Crack Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Pasteurization is only 146 years old. Think about how many thousands of years humans have drank raw milk.

The contamination of milk will be determined by how the milk is handled, the conditions in which is collected, and by the health of the cow. Due to the much greater regulations on raw milk, the standards by which raw milk is collected and tested are superior to that of the dead milk from sick cows packed into pens and raised in their own feces and urine. Pasteurized milk collection doesn't have to be as strict as the farmers know they are going to heat it anyways. It is this unsanitary, fed-lot environment that is the catalyst for potential disease and sickness. These unsanitary conditions are what fostered the thought of heating milk to kill pathogens. Unfortunately, this heat also kills all benefecial bateria, destroys enzymes, destroys some vitamins and minerals, and dentaures proteins/amino acids.

The question to ask is how healthy of a cow can you be living in your own shit/urine and the shit/urine of others, pumped with antibiotics and synthetic hormone, and fed corn/soy/grain/crap when you're meant to eat grass? What type of product could you create given those parameters? Do you normally get hormones and antibiotics when you're healthy? Does pasteurization destroy synthetic hormone and antibiotics present in the milk? If the cows aren't sick and aren't in unsanitary conditions and the collection process is sanitary, is distorting the food by heating it necessary at all?

The incredible, perfect plan that mother nature has set up shouldn't be molested as it is perfect. You can't improve on perfect. The healthy bacteria that appears in raw milk from healthy cows fed the right diet on free range pasture serves to kill pathogens ON THEIR OWN without the need to heat the milk. Nature already has a built in mechanism, a checks and balances system, that has been perfected over time. It is this mix of beneficial bacteria, fats, vitamins, minerals, and enzymes that also assists the human immune system in defending itself from disease. It's a living food that fosters vitality.

The denaturing of proteins and fats in pasteurized/homogenized milk leads to poor digestion and assimilation of these proteins in the body which triggers degenerative, inflammatory, and auto-immune responses from the body resulting in IBS, fibromyalgia, atherosclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, Chron's disease, Celiac disease, autism, lactose intolerance, allergic reactions, etc. This denaturing of the milk doesn't occur with raw milk as the body is provided with the factors it needs to assimilate totally the food into the body. As a result, none of these inflammatory reactions occur.

I could continue this comparison but really don't see a need. As a health professional, I tell my clients to stay away from the white death -- table salt, white flour, white sugar, and pasteurized dairy -- as much as possible because of the understanding of the stressful, inflammatory environment that these processed foods create within the body. Body building experts of the early part of the century understood these very premises. If you read the works of Vince Gironda, a bodybuilding legend, he is extremely adamant about consuming raw milk and not pasteurized dairy. He mentions it over and over again the weight gaining and muscle building characteristics of raw dairy. This is when bodybuilding was about building an amazing physique and fostering top-notch health and exceptional endocrine and digestive health. Guy was in his best shape when he was 45 years old.

I propose that pasteurization doesn't benefit the health of the consumer in any way. What it does though is allow for sub-standard collections policies, continuation of the fed-lot operation, contributes to poor treatment of animals, supports the drug industry, and extends the shelf life of milk. It's about bigger production and cheaper production not about health or vitality. $$ is the name of the game.

Do your research and make the decision that's best for you.

http://www.realmilk.com/whichchoose.html

Keep drinking it. It is second to none in its ability to support your immune system, provide vitality, nourish the brain, and promote overall health. You have nothing to worry about.

Damn
      02-25-2010, 04:39 PM   #28
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
One more question BL. The drinkable yogurts say pasteurized farm milk from Lucky Leyla Farms. Is that necessary to make yogurt?

Why not just use the raw milk?
Honestly not sure about the issue with pasteurization and yogurt. I notice that Organic Pastures (a major raw dairy distributor in CA) does not offer yogurt. What I do know is that raw milk doesn't spoil. It goes sour. I think that provides the means to make your own yogurt although I have never tried nor I am equipped knowledge wise to advise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbeee View Post
I used to drink whole milk as a kid (pasteurized but whole), I've drunk fresh milk out of a cow, scooped the odd bit of grass from the bowl and enjoyed it immensely. The best was whole fresh cream, so thick you had to spoon it into your bowl or onto the pie , yum.
I've been lactose intolerant for about 15 years now so I can't enjoy it any more. As long as the place is licensed and maintains it's cleanliness I would useit (if I could)
I love raw cream as well.

With regards to lactose intolerance, raw milk has the enzyme lactase that breaks down the milk sugar lactose allowing for easy assimilation. This enzyme is inactive in pasteurized milk which once again leads to portions of the milk that the body cannot assimilate leading to GI issues. I had a few clients tell me they were lactose intolerant and handled raw milk just fine. Raw milk is nature's lactaid.

Lactose intolerance can be a by product of gluten intolerance due to atrophy of the villi in the small intestine. This means that gluten intolerance can cause the lactose intolerance. Something to consider.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 05:14 PM   #29
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkw15 View Post
In addition, raw milk is NOT federally-regulated, unlike pasteurized milk. Some states do have separate regulations related to raw milk production, but most do not.

And while I don't disagree with your statement regarding the unsavory practices of some dairy farms or "feed lots", without personally inspecting each dairy farm (not to mention possessing the appropriate knowledge of GMPs, HACCP and other food safety measures) and following the milk from cow to bottle, how could you ever know what kind of facility is producing the raw milk? Whether treated with antibiotics, growth hormones, etc, cows are still animals, and there are still severe risks associated with eating anything directly from any animal. Would I rather have raw milk from a small farm with good sanitary and animal health and welfare practices vs the large feedlot farm? Absolutely. But it doesn't mean that one is going to pose no risk, a risk much greater than that of pasteurized milk.

Many scientists have examined the nutritional content of both raw and pasteurized milk, and with the relatively new methods (heating to a very high temperature very quickly), it has been shown that there is no substantial nutritional benefit to drinking raw milk. Raw milk and pasteurized milk are equivalent in terms of protein, nutrient, fat and carbohydrate makeup. The author of one of the leading studies on this subject concluded: "The risks of drinking raw milk outweigh any nutritional benefits."

Personally, I would say that for most of the general population drinking raw milk is not a good idea. It is an absolutely no-no for children, pregnant women, or those with immune disorders. But as Bobby_Light said above, do your research and if you feel comfortable with who is selling the milk, the risks associated with consuming the product, and it's legal in your state - then that decision is yours.

But at the end of the day perhaps picking up a gallon of good ol' fashioned organic milk might be the best bet.
Raw milk is legal in 28 of 50 states. California is the only one where it is legal to sell in stores without the need to join a cow-share program from what I know. All states do apparently take a stand regarding raw milk.

I haven't personally been to Organic Pastures but have seen videos of the operation and heard the owner of the farm, Mark McAfee, speak on several occasion regarding his farming operations and how he took his dairy from a pasteurized operation to a raw operation because the demand for raw dairy was so great and the realization of how sustainable farming flat out makes sense.

[u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d6AyznQDOfM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d6AyznQDOfM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b]

As far as the risk of consuming raw milk being greater than that of pasteurized milk, this simply isn't true. The health consequences of consuming non-bioavailable, processed foods are far greater because of the cumulative effect they have on the body. I have already written about the inflammation, autoimmune, and degenerative processed that result from consuming pasteurized dairy. This beats down the immune system leading to further susceptibility to other pathogens in the environment food borne and otherwise.

The nutritional benefits of raw milk usurp those of pasteurized/homogenized simply because YOU CANNOT assimilate the all of the fats, protein, vitamins, and minerals in the pasteurized/homogenized dairy. Having xx amount of protein and xx amount of fat means absolutely nothing if you cannot assimilate it. With raw milk, you know for a fact that you'll be able to assimilate what you're consuming because what is contained in it is bioavailable. Raw milk is a living food. Pasteurized milk is dead. You cannot gain vitality from something that is dead.

Here's a case in point. Osteoporosis is extremely common despite our consumption of a crap ton of pasteurized dairy. The countries that consume the most pasteurized milk and have the highest incidence of osteoporosis. Why is this so if milk is a good source of calcium like we are told? The answer lies in the fact that you need the enzyme phosphatase to use the calcium in the milk. Pasteurized milk is considered pasteurized when the enzyme phosphatase has been destroyed. No phosphatase, no calcium absorption. The calcium is not available to the body. This doesn't happen with raw milk. There is actually evidence to show that pasteurized dairy may actually increase incidence for osteoporosis because of the phosphorus and denatured proteins in the pasteurized milk.

So if the nutritional value isn't less than pasteurized milk and the risk is very, very low why do we have pasteurized milk again? Insert the closing to my last rant here.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 11:41 PM   #30
Synergy 69
www.facebook.com/Synergy69
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335I MT

I'm so torn =P
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 07:42 AM   #31
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Mom learns the hard way: Raw milk can be dangerous
By Carrie Stetler
April 16, 2008, 5:03AM

To those who swear that drinking unpasteurized milk is the ultimate health elixir, this story should give you some pause.

What began as a two-night getaway at a farm in Lancaster County, Pa., turned into a calamity of nightmarish proportions for me and my two kids when we drank raw milk.

My friend and I took our children to a working farm during spring break. They milked cows, fed bottles of milk to calves and ran free on acres of land - a rarity for these city kids.

They also drank the milk that was on the breakfast table, a milk I might add, that was the most silky and delicious any of us had ever tasted. We were told it was unpasteurized, but made to believe it was safe. (I assumed it was at least boiled).

A day after returning home, we knew we had made a terrible mistake. The first to fall ill was my five-year-old daughter, who had a high fever, then stomach flu symptoms, then my four-year-old son, then me.

My friend and her family had become violently ill as well. We spent seven days worried that our kids could dehydrate and forced them to drink gallons of Gatorade. My friend did get dehydrated and needed intravenous fluids in order to return to her job as a nurse.

After a week of this torture, medical tests showed we had contracted campylobacter, a bacterial food poisoning that can be found in unpasteurized milk. The six of us were prescribed antibiotics.

Thankfully, we're all going to be OK.

To be fair, campylobacter can also be spread by contact with raw or undercooked poultry, as the farm owners later told us, but the likely culprit according to my doctor was the raw milk.

The kids missed an entire week of school, made endless round-the-clock trips to the bathroom and suffered through sleepless night. I had to adjust my work schedule and get help from family.

Then there was the fear we had contracted a more severe and chronic illness, as we later learned could have happened (arthritis, tubercolosis and salmonella, to name a few).

Raw milk enthusiasts claim it can cure everything from asthma to allergies http://www.raw-milk-facts.com/. They even regularly cross state lines to buy unpasteurized milk in Pennsylvania, since the sale of such products are illegal in New Jersey.

Maybe it does have health benefits. But after my experience, it's not worth the risk.

Drinking raw milk is like playing Russian roulette with your health.

When it comes to my children's health, it's not a game I'm willing to play.

http://blog.nj.com/parentalguidance/...armenmilk.html

_____

CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/chees..._spotlight.htm

Raw Milk and Cheeses: Health Risks are Still Black and White

bottle of raw milkEach year, people become ill from drinking raw milk and eating foods made from raw dairy products. Unlike most of the milk, cheese, and dairy products sold in the United States, raw milk and raw dairy products have not been heat treated or pasteurized to kill germs. Although many states outlaw the sale of these items, many people including dairy producers, farm workers and their families, and some ethnic groups continue to drink raw milk and eat foods made from raw dairy products. Several types of raw cheeses such as feta, brie, queso fresco, sheep’s and goat's milk cheese have been illegally sold in the United States.

Germs in These Products Cause Thousands of Illnesses

Raw milk and raw dairy products may carry many types of disease-causing germs such as Campylobacter, Escherichia coli, Listeria, Salmonella, Yersinia, and Brucella. When raw milk or raw milk products become contaminated, people who eat the contaminated foods can get sick. Here are a few examples of outbreaks that have been reported since 2000:

2001: Outbreak of Campylobacter jejuni infections from drinking “raw” or unpasteurized milk.

2003: Outbreak of Listeria monocytogenes infections from eating unpasteurized queso fresco (a Mexican-style soft cheese)

2003: Outbreak of Salmonella infections from eating unpasteurized queso fresco.

2004: Outbreak of E. coli.O157 infections from eating unpasteurized queso fresco

These Illnesses Can Be Dangerous

unpasteurized cheeseGetting sick from one of these germs can lead to diarrhea, stomach cramps, fever, headache, vomiting, or exhaustion. The misery typically lasts anywhere from several hours to a week or more but most healthy people will recover.

These illnesses can be dangerous for people with weakened immune systems, such as the elderly, children, and people with cancer, an organ transplant, or HIV/AIDS. Germs found in raw milk and raw dairy products can be especially dangerous to pregnant women and their unborn babies.

_____

Journal of the American Medical Association:http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content...ct/252/15/2048

Meaningful differences in nutritional value between pasteurized and unpasteurized milk have not been demonstrated, and other purported benefits of raw milk consumption have not been substantiated. Conversely, the role of unpasteurized dairy products in the transmission of infectious diseases has been established repeatedly. To effectively counsel patients attracted by the health claims made for raw milk, practicing physicians must understand both the rationale used by proponents of raw milk and the magnitude of the risk involved in drinking raw milk.

______

14 sick, 1 paralyzed from raw milk
Illness halts raw milk program

Published: August 16, 2008
By Nicholas Grube
Triplicate staff writer

Alexandre Family EcoDairy Farms ended its raw milk program after several people who consumed the product got sick, including one Crescent City woman who remains in intensive care and is partially paralyzed.

The Del Norte County Department of Public Health suspects at least 15 people who ingested raw milk contracted Campylobacter, a common bacteria found in domesticated animals that can cause gastrointestinal illness.

Raw milk essentially comes straight from the udder and has become popular among health-conscious consumers. It is unpasteurized, and advocates say it contains beneficial microbes that help in digestion and provide increased nutrition.

Three cases of Campylobacter infections have been documented by Del Norte County health officials since late June, and the other 12 are awaiting confirmation.
The woman who became sick initially showed symptoms common with a Campylobacter infection, Martinelli said. This included episodes of abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea and vomiting.

She later developed a form of Guillain-Barré syndrome, a disorder that makes a person's immune system attack the peripheral nervous system and can result in paralysis.

The syndrome is rare, but when it does occur it often is associated with a Campylobacter infection, medical studies have found.
http://community.livejournal.com/nat...g/4713213.html

_____

5 possibly sick with campylobacter from raw milk in New York

Posted: January 31st, 2010 - 9:17am
Source: barfblog

The New York State Department of Health and the State Department of Agriculture and Markets today warned consumers in Saratoga County and surrounding areas not to consume "unpasteurized" raw milk produced at Willow Marsh Farm located at 343 Hop City Road in Ballston Spa due to possible Campylobacter contamination.
The state Health Department received 5 reports of Campylobacter enteritis, from people who have also consumed raw unpasteurized milk purchased from Willow Marsh Farm.
The farm has voluntarily suspended milk sales since it was first notified of the reported illnesses on January 22.
Preliminary tests concluded today at the New York State Food Laboratory found that raw unpasteurized milk produced at Willow Marsh Farm and collected on January 25 may be contaminated with Campylobacter. Final test results will be available in the coming week. If the raw milk sample is confirmed positive for Campylobacter, the producer will be prohibited from selling raw milk until subsequent sampling indicates that the product is free of pathogens.

http://bites.ksu.edu/news/140627/10/...-milk-new-york

_____

NY State Department of Health: Campylobacter Contamination Found in Raw Milk

5 Reports of Illness May be Related to Consuming Raw Milk from Saratoga Farm

ALBANY, N.Y. (Jan. 29, 2010 ) -- The New York State Department of Health and the State Department of Agriculture and Markets today warned consumers in Saratoga County and surrounding areas NOT to consume "unpasteurized" raw milk produced at Willow Marsh Farm located at 343 Hop City Road in Ballston Spa due to possible Campylobacter contamination.

The state Health Department received 5 reports of Campylobacter enteritis, from people who have also consumed raw unpasteurized milk purchased from Willow Marsh Farm.

Campylobacter is a bacterial infection that can cause diarrhea, fever, abdominal pain, nausea, headache, and muscle pain. The illness usually occurs two to five days after ingestion and generally lasts for seven to ten days.

Anyone who purchased milk from Willow Marsh Farm and still has the product should discard it immediately. Individuals experiencing gastrointestinal illness symptoms after consuming milk purchased from Willow Marsh Farm should contact their health care provider.

The farm has voluntarily suspended milk sales since it was first notified of the reported illnesses on January 22.

Preliminary tests concluded today at the New York State Food Laboratory found that raw unpasteurized milk produced at Willow Marsh Farm and collected on January 25 may be contaminated with Campylobacter. Final test results will be available in the coming week. If the raw milk sample is confirmed positive for Campylobacter, the producer will be prohibited from selling raw milk until subsequent sampling indicates that the product is free of pathogens.

Willow Marsh Farm holds a Department of Agriculture permit to legally sell raw milk at the farm. Routine samples are taken monthly and tested by the state Agriculture and Markets Department to determine whether the raw milk is free of pathogens.

Raw milk does not provide the protection of pasteurization, which eliminates all pathogenic bacteria, including Campylobacter. Producers who sell raw milk to consumers must have a permit from the Department of Agriculture and must sell directly to consumers on the farm where the milk is produced. These producers must also post a notice at the point of sale indicating that raw milk does not provide the protection of pasteurization. Farms with permits to sell raw milk are inspected monthly by the Department.

Bobby_Light, I of course respect your opinion, but I'm going to have to disagree here. Advocating the consumption of raw milk is contrary to the recommendations of nearly every government agency, health professionals, and goes against the peer-reviewed, published research of hundreds of academic and scientific sources.

But, to each his own. I can imagine that raw milk probably does taste much smoother and silkier than pasteurized milk, though!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 09:05 AM   #32
boymonkey
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slow

How come nobody sells breast milk? That's definitely good for humans, right?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 10:51 AM   #33
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkw15 View Post
Bobby_Light, I of course respect your opinion, but I'm going to have to disagree here. Advocating the consumption of raw milk is contrary to the recommendations of nearly every government agency, health professionals, and goes against the peer-reviewed, published research of hundreds of academic and scientific sources.

But, to each his own. I can imagine that raw milk probably does taste much smoother and silkier than pasteurized milk, though!
Pasteurization is 146 years old! 146! We've drank raw milk from cows and goats as a human race for THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of years. Now all of the sudden it's dangerous! Think about it. It's nourished us for centuries! It's comedic how smart these contemporary scientists and academics are. Remember that the government is the one who recommends the food pyramid, vaccines with mercury, usage of animal hormones & antibiotics, and carcinogenic chemical sweeteners. You must be reading material from the wrong health professionals.

I could post studies in rebuttal, but I have too much to do and I've already written a convincing argument. I'm going to cook my eggs in raw butter. Hope I don't get sick.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 11:02 AM   #34
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

I have never experienced raw milk but have always wanted to.

Natural foods are always much better than their artificially produced, hormone infested, chemical laden variants.

However, in the case of Milk, I would take proper precaution to ensure I drink it from a reputable farm just to be safe.

Ok...I'm in the mood for a tall glass of fresh natural milk now. I wonder if I can find this in Northern VA.

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 11:10 AM   #35
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

To each their own I guess.

No offense but I personally look at most government agencies as sheep farms.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 11:48 PM   #36
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Quote:
Pasteurization is 146 years old! 146! We've drank raw milk from cows and goats as a human race for THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of years. Now all of the sudden it's dangerous! Think about it. It's nourished us for centuries! It's comedic how smart these contemporary scientists and academics are. Remember that the government is the one who recommends the food pyramid, vaccines with mercury, usage of animal hormones & antibiotics, and carcinogenic chemical sweeteners. You must be reading material from the wrong health professionals.

I could post studies in rebuttal, but I have too much to do and I've already written a convincing argument. I'm going to cook my eggs in raw butter. Hope I don't get sick.
Hey BL, if you don't mind, sometime when you have time would you mind posting up a couple rebuttal articles?

I picked up some raw milk from the Lucky Layla farm like gonzo. It definitely tastes smooth and creamy, much better tasting than pasteurized milk.

Bought some drinkable yogurts too, but haven't tried them yet.

gonzo the reason the yogurts use pasteurized milk is because they are also sold in stores, at least that's what the girl at the register told me.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 06:11 AM   #37
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

^ Well that makes sense right there. I can usually put 2 and 2 together.

Whole Foods sells them state wide along with the cheeses I believe.

I gave a glass to a few people at the house and they loved it. They asked where the farm was..
Appreciate 0