New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-11-2017, 11:42 AM   #1
Deljus
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW Z4 sDrive35i

MHD 2+ without DPs

I remember seeing in a post a while back (on another forum), Wedge saying that catless down pipes aren't NEEDED in a Stage 2+ flash. I don't remember the specific details, but it was something to the effect that they haven't actually been proven to improve hp in a Stage 2+ flash, and he said they're really only needed if you're upgrading turbos.

What are your guys' thoughts on this? Would this not be harmful to the turbos? Or does a Stage 2+ flash not produce enough boost for it to be dangerous?

(PS - I'm asking because I recently swapped my stock DPs back in for smog and don't feel like swapping the catless ones back in)
      08-22-2017, 06:26 PM   #2
mrkoven
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 35i

give mhd an email and see what he thinks, mhd.tuning@gmail.com, i recall reading on n54 forum that stg2+ tune is not that aggressive so it may work w/ stock dp
      08-23-2017, 09:28 AM   #3
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

Saw this too - been hoping for some info (been too busy lately to look into...)
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 10:52 AM   #4
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

Long before that was the discussion. Wedge mentioned better torque gains with catted dp's. I think if your only running and off the shelf tune you'll be fine.

If you plan to go protune route, and maybe some e85 I'd recommend getting the overall air flow to be less restrictive. Think of it this way. A protune is maximizing everything for more power. If you can alleviate any extra stress you'll helping the realibility and overall health of the turbos.
Appreciate 0