New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-24-2019, 04:40 PM   #1
Silverstar
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 Sdrive30i

Panel Gaps!

What's up with the panel gaps on these Z4s? I notice on my recently purchased 2009 Z4 the panels gaps between the bonnet / hood and the wings / fenders and bumpers are all different. I have seen many photos of different Z4 and the panel gaps between the above mentioned panels seems to vary from car to car.

Did BMW's quality control go out the window when they were making these cars? See the photos attached, you can see the difference in the gap between the bonnet / hood and the wings / fenders on the left side and right side of the car.

All the panels and paintwork are original, no evidence of any accident damage. Only the front and rear bumpers have suffered some damage but this seems to be minor since only the bumper corners have been painted, the main panels and paint is all original. So I can't work out why there is such a difference between the two sides.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 06:15 AM   #2
LordLolzeye
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89 3.0i 2011

Hey,

From my point of view I think somebody replaced the fender in the first picture and didn't adjust the gaps. My fender gaps are both similar to the second picture (right side of the car I think).
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 11:55 AM   #3
Silverstar
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordLolzeye View Post
Hey,

From my point of view I think somebody replaced the fender in the first picture and didn't adjust the gaps. My fender gaps are both similar to the second picture (right side of the car I think).
Hi, I have checked and a bodyshop has also checked and it seems that all panels are original, there is no evidence of any change of panels or new paintwork. I suppose it won't harm to have another garage take a look though.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 12:02 PM   #4
LordLolzeye
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89 3.0i 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstar View Post
Hi, I have checked and a bodyshop has also checked and it seems that all panels are original, there is no evidence of any change of panels or new paintwork. I suppose it won't harm to have another garage take a look though.
In that case, just leave it as it is. You don't need to worry that much about something like this. You'll just burn through more money for something that looks almost perfect anyways.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 12:06 PM   #5
Silverstar
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordLolzeye View Post
In that case, just leave it as it is. You don't need to worry that much about something like this. You'll just burn through more money for something that looks almost perfect anyways.
That is so true, I guess I should just stop looking so hard at those panels.
Appreciate 0