New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-31-2013, 05:41 PM   #23
BlueZ4Arizona
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 35i

I drive in sport mode and sport drive most of the time and have no turbo lag.

Hearing that you've investigated and found there to be severe turbo lack is surprising. Are you sure this was not about the e85 - previous generation?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 08:52 PM   #24
bmwmick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 Z3,'11 Z4 35i,'90 C4 Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal View Post
In four years, I have never experienced any turbo lag.
+1 in 2 years BUT I would never have purchased an automatic either.

Mick
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 10:45 PM   #25
Frank Costanza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 540i/6, Z4 35i

Anytime you need to make an evasive maneuver always slap the tranny to the left into S Mode.

Eliminates most if not all the lag. In standard D mode, city driving there is considerable turbo lag. I've caught myself out at first and it was very frustrating at times.
      08-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #26
bmwmick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Costanza View Post
In standard D mode, city driving there is considerable turbo lag. I've caught myself out at first and it was very frustrating at times.
That has nothing to do with turbo lag, that is simply your automatic transmission deciding what to do. I have a diesel with considerable turbo lag and this engine has none.

Mick
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #27
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmick View Post
That has nothing to do with turbo lag, that is simply your automatic transmission deciding what to do. I have a diesel with considerable turbo lag and this engine has none.

Mick

Exactly. There seems to be too much confusion regarding turbo-lag and transmission response. If putting it into "S" mode removes this "lag" then it isn't turbo lag, it's just the transmission shifting sluggishly. As someone else stated already, this is BMWs way of making the ride smoother and less jerky for those who prefer a more comfortable ride. Any delay in gearing or throttle response is a matter of the ECU learning your driving behavior, and not a mechanical issue (turbo-lag). There is a post about how to reset this, or, just drive aggressively for a week or two and the car should adapt as so.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 08:34 PM   #28
Frank Costanza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 540i/6, Z4 35i

I do a lot of downtown city driving in traffic here.

What frequently happens to me is that if I leave it n D and am slowing down and moving quite slowly the tranny stays in D3 as it always selects the highest possible gear as early as possible. I'll get back on the gas and it stays in 3 but for a moment there is nothing. Then a waft of torque comes on and it pulls away effortlessly. When none of the sports modes are engages it takes a fair bit of pedal travel to provoke a kick down and I'm familiar with the amount of pedal travel before the tranny will kick down in D. What I experience is definitely turbo lag because the tranny is already fully engaged in a gear. It's very brief but I've experienced it more than a few times now.

There are other times when I'm standing still and jump on the accelerator quickly (ie. while making a left) and I get absolutely nothing. Then suddenly a second or so after I've hit the pedal the car jumps. Just have to get used to the fact that DCTs are not as good as torque converter automatics in this regard and don't repeat that mistake.
      08-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #29
bmwmick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

NOT~
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 01:23 AM   #30
z4z4z4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3

Frank, your DSC sees your steering angle and when you try to accelerate from the traffic light and make a left turn there are computations going on to effect minimizing wheel slip n maximize safety. No DCT issue. IF you eased onto the throttle the result would be immediate acceleration. If you turnoff the DSC you can do instant donuts with the wheel turned, not the setting for inexperienced drivers who stomp the throttle to beat oncoming traffic.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 06:29 AM   #31
SgtGigglebox
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Atacama 35is

My suspicion was the transmission's decision making ability, but couldn't quantify it.

There certainly "seems" to be significant behavior adjusting to current driving habits and if you're not in sport/sport+ and the car's on a cold start, there is probably logic that's kicking in to save MPG.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #32
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtGigglebox View Post

There certainly "seems" to be significant behavior adjusting to current driving habits
Easy fix then.....
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #33
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

These behavioral issues appear be specific to the AT side of the family. My theroy is they are related to the XX gene of the vehicle and support the "chick car" designation. There certainly is an abundance of whinning in this thread.

Never experienced anything like this with the MT side of the family.

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 01:40 AM   #34
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Let's not turn this into another 'AT' vs MT argument again, even though it's doubtful that it's related to the DCT, which is NOT an AT btw - never is, never was...

Again, my car (DCT) no longer has this prb (only had it during the first few weeks of ownership) and I think it's just a matter of the computer getting used to the driver's driving pattern to get rid of this lag. The DCT shifts way faster than any humanoid using MT, so I find it weird that there's a lag (albeit temporary, for me, anyway) w/ DCT whereas it is supposedly non-existent in the MT.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 06:43 AM   #35
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Let's not turn this into another 'AT' vs MT argument again, even though it's doubtful that it's related to the DCT, which is NOT an AT btw - never is, never was...

Again, my car (DCT) no longer has this prb (only had it during the first few weeks of ownership) and I think it's just a matter of the computer getting used to the driver's driving pattern to get rid of this lag. The DCT shifts way faster than any humanoid using MT, so I find it weird that there's a lag (albeit temporary, for me, anyway) w/ DCT whereas it is supposedly non-existent in the MT.
The OP has had his car for quite some time. I would think the computer would have learned his driving habits by now. I think think it's quite clear this is transmission-related. Drive the DCT in automatic (yes, it's an automatic - it shifts for you) and you get this "lag", drive it in manual mode, no "lag". This is true for my 5 series, my wife's Volvo, and any car with an automatic I've driven: 1. Give it a lot of gas, 2. Why isn't my car moving? 3. Head bangs the headrest. Throttle response is always lacking with an AT, in my experience.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 06:56 AM   #36
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89(N54)

Get a true limited slip differential (such as Quaife or Wavetrack) and voila! That hesitation/lag is gone. In my car that was caused by the e-LSD
      08-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #37
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
The OP has had his car for quite some time. I would think the computer would have learned his driving habits by now. I think think it's quite clear this is transmission-related. Drive the DCT in automatic (yes, it's an automatic - it shifts for you) and you get this "lag", drive it in manual mode, no "lag". This is true for my 5 series, my wife's Volvo, and any car with an automatic I've driven: 1. Give it a lot of gas, 2. Why isn't my car moving? 3. Head bangs the headrest. Throttle response is always lacking with an AT, in my experience.
Well, then perhaps he should get it reset or have a different driving style so that the computer can get attuned since I no longer encounter that prb.

DCT is not an AT because it doesn't have a torque converter, doesn't matter that it can shift for you, that's just semantics; it's not just AT and MT, there are many types of trannys out there these days, get it right. So, sure, perhaps MT fanboys can say that throttle response may lack in some ATs, but this isn't necessarily true for DCTs.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #38
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Well, then perhaps he should get it reset or have a different driving style so that the computer can get attuned since I no longer encounter that prb.

DCT is not an AT because it doesn't have a torque converter, doesn't matter that it can shift for you, that's just semantics; it's not just AT and MT, there are many types of trannys out there these days, get it right. So, sure, perhaps MT fanboys can say that throttle response may lack in some ATs, but this isn't necessarily true for DCTs.
Professor Tranquility please provide a source of your definition of an AT

Here are three of my references.

Collins English Dictionary

automatic transmission (noun - Engineering / Automotive Engineering) - a transmission system in a motor vehicle, usually incorporating a fluid clutch, in which the gears change automatically.

Websters College Dictionary

automatic transmission - (noun) - a transmission that automatically changes the gears according to the speed of the car

Wordnet, Princeton University

automatic transmission (Noun) - a transmission that automatically changes the gears according to the speed of the car

Why are you so defensive about driving an AT?

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #39
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

^...because it's technically not an AT, that's it; sure one can have the comp choose the gears but one can choose by oneself as well...is DCT a MT because one can choose gears in the former? Surely not, so there goes that reasoning.

It is something new that is not an AT or MT. It has no torque converter, it's not a slushbox. What is so hard to understand? It is the superior tranny to date.

Class dismissed (Prof Tranquility)
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #40
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Guys lets not argue over this its pointless. The fact is that the car in normal mode is a bit of a softy and sport or paddles are required to get immediate response just as you would with a manual.. Take control!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #41
E89Tardis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

If you drive a DCT the same as you would an Automatic, you will damage it. Like a manual, you are supposed to disengage the clutches by pressing the brake pedal. With an automatic, you can let the transmission hold the car in place and leave your foot off the brake and no harm will come to you.

You should not do this in a DCT. This was discussed in my owners manual and it is important for anyone you let drive your car, to understand the difference. Not an automatic but more like a manual with a brain and no clutch pedal.

Sorry for the off topic but I think It's good info for anyone who has a DCT and doesn't already understand the differences.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 05:18 PM   #42
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E89Tardis
If you drive a DCT the same as you would an Automatic, you will damage it. Like a manual, you are supposed to disengage the clutches by pressing the brake pedal. With an automatic, you can let the transmission hold the car in place and leave your foot off the brake and no harm will come to you.

You should not do this in a DCT. This was discussed in my owners manual and it is important for anyone you let drive your car, to understand the difference. Not an automatic but more like a manual with a brain and no clutch pedal.

Sorry for the off topic but I think It's good info for anyone who has a DCT and doesn't already understand the differences.
That's news to me. Why would you not let the car hold on the DCT? It's holding on liquid cooled clutches, it will wear but not damage it. Sure on torque converters there's little to no wear compared but unless you have the car hold you on an incline for extended periods then holding the car for a few seconds when pulling away or coasting in traffic is not an issue IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #43
E89Tardis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Page 55-56 in my manual in a section called "7-gear Sport Automatic Transmission with Dual Clutch" under the heading "System limitations" it says to " do not hold the vehicle on inclines by depressing the accelerator lightly and dragging the clutch; otherwise, the transmission may overheat.

May not be a big deal but I just modified my habits a long time ago to comply anyway.

Doesn't say anything about standing at red lights though and it also does not use the acronym DCT anywhere rather they refer to it as 7-gear Sport Automatic Transmission with Dual Clutch, but I still view it as an electronically controlled manual probably because of this limitation that is reminiscent of riding the clutch in a manual.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #44
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E89Tardis View Post
Page 55-56 in my manual in a section called "7-gear Sport Automatic Transmission with Dual Clutch" under the heading "System limitations" it says to " do not hold the vehicle on inclines by depressing the accelerator lightly and dragging the clutch; otherwise, the transmission may overheat.

May not be a big deal but I just modified my habits a long time ago to comply anyway.

Doesn't say anything about standing at red lights though and it also does not use the acronym DCT anywhere rather they refer to it as 7-gear Sport Automatic Transmission with Dual Clutch, but I still view it as an electronically controlled manual probably because of this limitation that is reminiscent of riding the clutch in a manual.
Ok, that's a no brainer for *any* tranny as it will wear out parts not to mention gas.
Appreciate 0