New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-14-2009, 01:04 PM   #45
twin turbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom3n View Post
First you should not be runing these turbos over 14-15psi if you are interested in the longevity of your turbos. There is no intake that will help with the stress this puts on the stock turbos. Second what most people dont take into consideration with "dyno mods" is how these mods work in real world applications because they simply do not understand anything outside of dyno charts. What you typically see is someone who installs a mod, straps the car to a dyno and makes a sigle run or maybe 2 take the higher of the numbers and post them on forums. What you find when you correctly durability test most of these mods is they lose alot of power the more you run them like they would be used in the real world. In the case of these new turbo motors alot of times these high temps and high boost levels cause the car to go into a limp mode and or shut down.

Like Eloy stated before he gets a lot of cars on his dyno and he most likely runs them 5-6 times back to back to see how consistant the gains are. We do the exact same thing when we test our software or our superharger kits because its not what the car does on a single dyno run but how its going to perform in rush hour traffic or out on the track. These are things you simply cannot judge by running a car on a dyno once or twice.

Here is a post by a 335 customer who did some testing and found out that the open filter cone intakes work great for a quick dyno run but not so well with continued use http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290054 you can see how consistant the OEM intake power was VS how the cone filter lost 20+ HP after only 2 runs. Now imagine if he ran this intake 6-7 times in a row. You can also see that the customer believes the only reason the open cone filter did as well as it did on the first run was because the motor was cool. This is the same result we got when we tested one of these intakes on our test car. This is a very good example of how vendors can advertise gains with products by simply not telling the whole story or by showing you only what they want you to see.
Sorry, just re-read one of hot air myth threads and they noted gains with boost over 11psi not 14psi as I stated above. Sorry for the misinformation.
2014 Audi RS5 (sold)
2012 Audi TT RS (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 01:57 PM   #46
twin turbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Installed JB+ and BMS intake over the weekend. Set the JB+ to 100%. The car runs great! Reminds me of the Dinan tune I had in my 335 coupe, only 1/10th the price. I like the sound of the turbos spooling as well.

2014 Audi RS5 (sold)
2012 Audi TT RS (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 02:15 PM   #47
RPIpower
Captain
Rep
Drives: F97 X3M, G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin turbo View Post
Installed JB+ and BMS intake over the weekend. Set the JB+ to 100%. The car runs great! Reminds me of the Dinan tune I had in my 335 coupe, only 1/10th the price. I like the sound of the turbos spooling as well.

So where does it suck in cool air?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 03:05 PM   #48
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyltonk View Post
Just installed Vishnu piggy back upgrade - 70 WHP and 120 Ft/lb extra torque. Have 7 spd, dual clutch box. Car is still smooth and the low end is addictive. Serious punch and half the price of Dinan. Installed myself in 45 minutes, fully reversible, and they are amazing with answering questions. Best bang for the buck, by far.
Is that 70 hp and 120 ft/lb to the wheels?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 03:09 PM   #49
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom3n View Post
Our car is a DCT which we have developed DCT software for to handle the midrange TQ delivery. Power delivery and shifting is perfect. Rubber Ducky is correct the DCT maxes out around 375 ft-lbs. We tuned for max TQ delivery and to keep everything safe.

Roman, I see now that it was actually you that posted the dyno chart I was referring to when we spoke.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 08:45 PM   #50
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPIpower View Post
So where does it suck in cool air?
It don't. It sucks hot air.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 10:15 PM   #51
RPIpower
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
It don't. It sucks hot air.
This was posted on the 1 series side.

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 02:17 PM   #52
twin turbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This was posted on the 1 series side.

Here's another link to some dyno testing with the so called "hot air intakes". Read and decide for yourself.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4826
2014 Audi RS5 (sold)
2012 Audi TT RS (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 02:20 PM   #53
RPIpower
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Here's another link to some dyno testing with the so called "hot air intakes". Read and decide for yourself.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4826
Well its Terry doing his own test so like I said. If anyone has this intake and wants a FREE dyno session, call me. Ill video everything. Its been done and most people are just in denial.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 03:28 PM   #54
twin turbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well its Terry doing his own test so like I said. If anyone has this intake and wants a FREE dyno session, call me. Ill video everything. Its been done and most people are just in denial.
Did you read the whole thread? Mr. 5 also tested the DCI against the stock air box and they agreed the DCI made more power in certain situations. I have seen several 1,000 hp Supras and high horsepower Buick GN's at the track and ALL of them had filters right off the turbos. It's funny that they would do that if it made less power. These guys are all about making the most horsepower possible.
2014 Audi RS5 (sold)
2012 Audi TT RS (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 05:09 PM   #55
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Did you read the whole thread? Mr. 5 also tested the DCI against the stock air box and they agreed the DCI made more power in certain situations. I have seen several 1,000 hp Supras and high horsepower Buick GN's at the track and ALL of them had filters right off the turbos. It's funny that they would do that if it made less power. These guys are all about making the most horsepower possible.
Here is one consideration with the Turbo Supras and Buick GN's. They are built for drag racing. That's a 10 second pass with plenty of cool down time between runs. A street setup has to contend with idling in traffic in 90 degree weather. After running a car hard and then idling in traffic, you'll notice less power the next run due to heat soak. A proper setup must take this into account and provide the coolest air possible, without compromising other considerations.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 06:19 PM   #56
RPIpower
Captain
Rep

Quote:
That thread has been brought up several times and its really a joke. We have tested these things over and over again and its the same results. It seems that you want to believe it gains power just for peace of mind so thats your right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
Here is one consideration with the Turbo Supras and Buick GN's. They are built for drag racing. That's a 10 second pass with plenty of cool down time between runs. A street setup has to contend with idling in traffic in 90 degree weather. After running a car hard and then idling in traffic, you'll notice less power the next run due to heat soak. A proper setup must take this into account and provide the coolest air possible, without compromising other considerations.
100% correct. The other reason for this is that casting a custom plastic molded box is much more expensive than throwing on a few heatshields and dumping a filter on there. Drag cars cant run over and over and over again so the argument holds no ground in this discussion. Ive mention time and time again that I will dyno anyones Z4 that has that intake for FREE. My only request is to have the session recorded so there is no cheating.

When we had our dynojet back in the day, we tested a lot of products like these for companies that rented dyno time. The ways they wanted us to test and do the dyno sessions (in order for there to be a power gain) is purely comical.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 07:19 PM   #57
twin turbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That thread has been brought up several times and its really a joke. We have tested these things over and over again and its the same results. It seems that you want to believe it gains power just for peace of mind so thats your right.

100% correct. The other reason for this is that casting a custom plastic molded box is much more expensive than throwing on a few heatshields and dumping a filter on there. Drag cars cant run over and over and over again so the argument holds no ground in this discussion. Ive mention time and time again that I will dyno anyones Z4 that has that intake for FREE. My only request is to have the session recorded so there is no cheating.

When we had our dynojet back in the day, we tested a lot of products like these for companies that rented dyno time. The ways they wanted us to test and do the dyno sessions (in order for there to be a power gain) is purely comical.
The main reason I installed the intake was for the sound and improved throttle response. It's nice to actually here the turbos on a turbo charged car. Maybe I'm losing a couple of HP after the engine gets nice and hot, but it is worth it to me. Please recommend another intake that makes power, I am interested.

There is another dyno in that thread where they remove the air box cover and the car made an additional 20 rear wheel hp and it wasn't Terry. It was the guy that was contradicting Terry. That sounds like there is air restriction in the factory air box to me. I don't think bypassing the air filter would net 20 wheel hp. Maybe THIS car is different, but the last few cars I owned all made more power with aftermarket intakes. My GT500 made 40 more hp with a Steeda hot air intake. Funny that Ford would make and install a hot air intake (air coming from the engine bay) in the KR and several magazines dyno tested it and made 40hp more. My 2005 Corvette also made more power with a hot air intake. My APR chipped Audi TT also made more power with a hot air intake. My tuning experience has taught me that the factory air box is designed to handle factory power levels. When you add more boost and fuel like the JB+, you need more air. Most of the time the factory air boxes cannot provide the additional air necessary. I have not dynoed this car yet. As I said before, maybe THIS car is different.
2014 Audi RS5 (sold)
2012 Audi TT RS (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 01:34 AM   #58
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Maybe someone should do some independant datalogging with their BT just driving around...recording IATs.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 03:00 PM   #59
yabbanoname
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive35i

Garage List
Quote:

Can you mark the spot where the tmap sensor is found ?
      08-26-2009, 03:21 PM   #60
RPIpower
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The main reason I installed the intake was for the sound and improved throttle response. It's nice to actually here the turbos on a turbo charged car. Maybe I'm losing a couple of HP after the engine gets nice and hot, but it is worth it to me. Please recommend another intake that makes power, I am interested.

There is another dyno in that thread where they remove the air box cover and the car made an additional 20 rear wheel hp and it wasn't Terry. It was the guy that was contradicting Terry. That sounds like there is air restriction in the factory air box to me. I don't think bypassing the air filter would net 20 wheel hp. Maybe THIS car is different, but the last few cars I owned all made more power with aftermarket intakes. My GT500 made 40 more hp with a Steeda hot air intake. Funny that Ford would make and install a hot air intake (air coming from the engine bay) in the KR and several magazines dyno tested it and made 40hp more. My 2005 Corvette also made more power with a hot air intake. My APR chipped Audi TT also made more power with a hot air intake. My tuning experience has taught me that the factory air box is designed to handle factory power levels. When you add more boost and fuel like the JB+, you need more air. Most of the time the factory air boxes cannot provide the additional air necessary. I have not dynoed this car yet. As I said before, maybe THIS car is different.
Im glad you are not taking offense to the things Im saying. Im just really here to help. I started my business 11 years ago because I was SICK and tired of being ripped off by bogus companies that sold me junk like this. It wasnt until I starting tuning and learning the stuff for myself that I realized how stupid some of these mods really were. When it comes to intake in your car, the stock one is not as restrictive as you think. Air flow, air temp, density all have to do with the performance of your intake. Like I said many times before, I am more than happy to dyno someones car with that intake and show everyone on the forum how it works. It can all be video recorded so there are no more "well so and so tested it and they had this result."
Appreciate 0