New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-18-2019, 05:16 PM   #89
bryanhoag
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Z4 sDrive 35i 6MT

Interesting... I've never had the screen flicker on the iDrive screen or the reverse camera. Only when using CarPlay navigation.

The avin unit was not out when I was looking at options either. It definitely seems like a more polished product and is awesome for those who don't have iDrive. That said, if this UniChip system worked flawlessly, I think I'd choose it because it retains the stock set up with the folding screen.

I haven't studied the avin unit much yet since I haven't really considered switching at this point. But, CarPlay seems like a bit of an afterthought with that system... being Android-based. I suppose that doesn't matter that much though.

I wish more of us had access to shops that specialize in these aftermarket projects. I've done a lot more DIY with this car than any car I've had previously and it's been successful and a fun learning experience.... but there comes a point when I'd rather just pay someone else to do it.

Regarding top issues and overall reliability.... I've been lucky so far and haven't had any major issues. But, this forum can be scary. Sometimes I feel like I should avoid forums until I actually develop an issue rather than driving around wondering what's about to break.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 12:36 PM   #90
Zed4USA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW Z4 sDrive28i

Hi bryanhoag,

Which AVIN unit are you referring to? I checked their website and couldn't find an AVIN solution for the e89.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanhoag View Post
…The avin unit was not out when I was looking at options either. It definitely seems like a more polished product and is awesome for those who don't have iDrive.…

I haven't studied the avin unit much yet since I haven't really considered switching at this point. But, CarPlay seems like a bit of an afterthought with that system... being Android-based. I suppose that doesn't matter that much though.…
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 12:39 PM   #91
bryanhoag
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Zed4USA I don't know much about it. I don't think it's formally listed on their site yet for some reason. But people on this forum have managed to order and install it. The unit is discussed extensively on this thread:

https://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1558926

I'd imagine all of your questions are answered there. Hope that helps!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 01:01 PM   #92
Zed4USA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW Z4 sDrive28i

Oh, I see. I guess that would make sense from the title of the thread. At this point, I think most of the discussion in that thread is revolving around a non AVIN item (an android screen compatible with iDrive - if you have it) which people are ordering from China. My understanding it that AVIN will not be bringing that item to the USA (unfortunately).

Quote:
Zed4USA I don't know much about it. I don't think it's formally listed on their site yet for some reason. But people on this forum have managed to order and install it. The unit is discussed extensively on this thread:

https://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1558926

I'd imagine all of your questions are answered there. Hope that helps!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 01:04 PM   #93
bryanhoag
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

@Zed4USA Sorry. Just realized you've already posted in that forum. That's the unit I was referring to.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 07:42 PM   #94
gghtpc
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 Sdrive35i

Installation complete on 2016 Z4

Thanks to all the videos and pictures in this group, I was able complete the installation

I decided to run the mic under the gear shift and place it in the ashtray.

Special thanks for the Video explaining how to open the CIC unit

Local CarToys wanted $300! I had to open the unit install twice but it worked.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 06:05 AM   #95
Go351
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Coupe Sakhir Orange

support from unichip

Hi all anyone been able to get updated files from unichip support lately. I have not been able to reach them in the last 40 days.

I need the latest firmware files please. Particularly if the Android auto beta has been updated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 07:22 PM   #96
bryanhoag
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Go351 I reached out to UniChip a while ago about one of their other products and never heard back, which is unusual. They always replied within 24 hours (usually less) back when I was getting my CarPlay system set up and troubleshooting thereafter. Maybe they've closed up shop? Or just sick of hearing from us e89 guys?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 09:11 PM   #97
Go351
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Coupe Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Go351 I reached out to UniChip a while ago about one of their other products and never heard back, which is unusual. They always replied within 24 hours (usually less) back when I was getting my CarPlay system set up and troubleshooting thereafter. Maybe they've closed up shop? Or just sick of hearing from us e89 guys?
Thanks Bryan
Hummm.... Not good.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 01:14 AM   #98
gghtpc
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 Sdrive35i

My CarPlay navigation is erratic at best. Position is almost always off leading to to reroutes. No answer to emails for support
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 09:04 AM   #99
PaulVerkleij
the dutchman
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 2010 2.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gghtpc View Post
My CarPlay navigation is erratic at best. Position is almost always off leading to to reroutes. No answer to emails for support
Please note, a CarPlay box does not navigate. It's your phone that is navigating. What I noticed is that in the car, in a flip cover with bank cards you may limit the GPS antenna from your phone.
My experience is to open the flip cover, exposing the GPS antenna and placing the phone in the armrest minimizes the GPS glitches. It is however no guarantee.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 07:13 PM   #100
JayPyh
Registered
Rep
Drives: E89

Just a warning from a very bad experience for anyone wanting to buy a screen with CarPlay/Android auto from Alibaba. Bought one Viknav custom fit E89 unit (they have many Viknav stores on there, all is the same business) for 777$. It worked 2 weeks very unreliability, unstable, crashes, won’t connect, etc, then total crashed while changing letter size (!), no reboot or hard reset possible. Customer service from Viknav told me it’s my fault for installing Google apps (that’s what it’s for!). After trying to troubleshoot in vain, they told me to send it back for refund, which I did, then they don’t answer any emails, that was 8 months ago, still no refund, no answer. So stay away from them, friendly advice.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 02:49 AM   #101
B21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E89 Atacama Yellow 35is

Mr 12 Volt MMI box with CarPlay and Android support is the current top dog..

Best audio quality by far as its integrated by fibre optic cable..unlike most if not all the others with a 3.5mm aux connection

Tech support is good albeit with a 12-24 hr delay..

My box developed a video glitch..after a bit of ping pong they replaced it..new box is perfect
Appreciate 0