New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-31-2017, 10:44 PM   #23
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingZeroX5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
Vague.
When did you buy & when did you sell? Do you own any now?
Well if you wanted more details, then you should've asked that in your original post :-p

I purchased AMD at 4.80, mid June 2016 and held onto it when it punched through 15, promptly sold until last earnings when it got clobbered down.

Bought again at the low of 10.06 last week and holding now.

I also purchased NVIDIA right after earnings for a quick 10%
My dad bought nvidia shortly after the IPO. It was because I was taking a class at ohio state that had us build a program to track stock prices. I picked nvidia because I was a HUGE quake player at the time. Traveled around the country for tournaments. I had just bought a Riva 128 and thought it was the best thing ever made.

Anyhow I came home for the weekend and my dad asked me what I was doing in my classes. I told him about the stock app, nvidia and what they did. After that he said he would buy some stock. I told him to please don't because I had no clue about the stock market. He said they sound like a good company with a good product. I felt really bad because I did not want him to lose money.

Anyhow fast forward to today and he has yet to sell one single share. No joke. Mutiple splits and he now owns ~2,500 shares. It's cool when I talk to him about it now for obvious reasons. Also it is great knowing I paid for my own college years later lol. Well that is if he ever sells some of it!

On a related note I just bought a 1080ti strix. Sick card!

Also on a related note if anyone is on the Quake Champions beta add me: Xtabi
      06-01-2017, 03:00 AM   #24
rmizzle101
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB M4

Nvidia for me. Owned Tesla, got out. I'm in Nvidia for the long haul, I truly believe in them however, we shall see.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 03:27 PM   #25
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Chevrolet SS

Buy a low cost S&P500 index fund or ETF and beat the day traders/gamblers in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 05:58 PM   #26
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtabi View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Vague.
Well if you wanted more details, then you should've asked that in your original post :-p

I purchased AMD at 4.80, mid June 2016 and held onto it when it punched through 15, promptly sold until last earnings when it got clobbered down.

My dad bought nvidia shortly after the IPO. It was because I was taking a class at ohio state that had us build a program to track stock prices. I picked nvidia because I was a HUGE quake player at the time. Traveled around the country for tournaments. I had just bought a Riva 128 and thought it was the best thing ever made.

Anyhow I came home for the weekend and my dad asked me what I was doing in my classes. I told him about the stock app, nvidia and what they did. After that he said he would buy some stock. I told him to please don't because I had no clue about the stock market. He said they sound like a good company with a good product. I felt really bad because I did not want him to lose money.

Anyhow fast forward to today and he has yet to sell one single share. No joke. Mutiple splits and he now owns ~2,500 shares. It's cool when I talk to him about it now for obvious reasons. Also it is great knowing I paid for my own college years later lol. Well that is if he ever sells some of it!

I forgot to mention the only stock I buy (outside of my 401k and what my advisor buys) is MSFT. I get a 10% discount because I'm an employee. I have yet to sell a single share (including those that are part of my yearly bonus). I believe we hit $70 today. I have no doubt we are going higher in the long term...
      06-01-2017, 06:28 PM   #27
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny's X5 View Post
Clueless to the stock game so dumb question...Can you buy Canadian stocks such as the ones listed above on etrade, scottrade, etc?
First chk to see if the Canadian company has a U.S. listing. You may need to go through a Canadian online broker - the fun thing is to do the research, read U.S. online brokerages info-pages on foreign investors, then do the same for Canadian on-line brokerages.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 03:14 PM   #28
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Vague.

I forgot to mention the only stock I buy (outside of my 401k and what my advisor buys) is MSFT. I get a 10% discount because I'm an employee. I have yet to sell a single share (including those that are part of my yearly bonus). I believe we hit $70 today. I have no doubt we are going higher in the long term...
And here is some of what my FA has been buying and the results.
Attached Images

06-04-2017, 05:49 PM   #29
Ross61
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 GTO (soon to be an M4)

Little brother bought 1,000 shares of Netflix around the time they felt mail order DVD rentals was a bad idea.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 06:36 PM   #30
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I have the vanguard index admiral fund and feel like I get pretty good coverage with low find expenses. It's holdings include Apple, Netflix, Amazon etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 06:05 PM   #31
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross61 View Post
Little brother bought 1,000 shares of Netflix around the time they felt mail order DVD rentals was a bad idea.

I was considering buying some shares during that same period, but didn't have much extra cash to spend back then. I still kick myself for not doing it.
      06-05-2017, 07:10 PM   #32
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Commodities/consumables
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 07:39 PM   #33
Ross61
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 GTO (soon to be an M4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross61 View Post
Little brother bought 1,000 shares of Netflix around the time they [strike]felt[/strike] realized getting rid of mail order DVD rentals was a bad idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
I was considering buying some shares during that same period, but didn't have much extra cash to spend back then. I still kick myself for not doing it.
I should have specified - "...when they realized getting rid of..."
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 08:55 AM   #34
amber-katie
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M sport

At the current prices, I’m deliberating on whether i should buy Verizon ($VZ) because the P/E ratio is a healthy 15x earnings and they offer a 4.68% dividend. After the acquisition of AOL and Yahoo! Verizon will be able to reach over 2 billion monthly active users. Mobile users are still increasing annually and are generally the primary choice over tablets, laptops, and desktops.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 09:28 AM   #35
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

crossed signals from the equity and bond markets
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 07:34 AM   #36
overcoil
Major General
Rep