New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

11-30-2021, 06:23 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

The BMW i7 undergoes endurance and driving dynamics testing at the polar circle

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Endurance test on ice and snow: The BMW i7 undergoes driving dynamics testing at the polar circle.
COMMENTS
Name:  P90445369_highRes_the-bmw-i7-undergoes.jpg
Views: 4710
Size:  1.23 MB

December 1, 2021

Prototypes of the world’s first purely electrically powered luxury sedan complete final testing of drive and suspension systems at the BMW Group winter test centre in Arjeplog, Sweden.

Munich. With the consistent expansion of its range to further vehicle segments, the BMW Group is pushing ahead with the transformation to electric mobility. During the forthcoming year, the Munich-based premium automobile manufacturer will already present the world’s first all-electric luxury sedan – the BMW i7 (power consumption combined: 22.5 – 19.5 kWh/100 km according to WLTP; CO2 emissions: 0 g/km; prognosis based on the vehicle’s current level of development). Within the framework of its series development process, the BMW i7 is currently undergoing driving dynamics testing on the premises of the BMW Group winter test centre in Arjeplog, Sweden. There, just a few kilometres away from the Arctic Circle, test engineers find the frozen surfaces and snow-covered roads offering the ideal preconditions for the integrated application of all drive and suspension systems. With the test programme held in the biting cold, they pave the way to a new interpretation of luxury driving pleasure. For the first time, it will be possible to experience a maximum in characteristic BMW dynamics, comfort and supremacy in the luxury class with absolutely zero local emissions.

The suspension components, steering and braking systems as well as driving dynamics and vehicle stability systems developed for the future generation of the BMW 7 Series are designed to raise the balance between sportiness and ride comfort so typical of the brand’s luxury sedans to the next level. This also includes performance-oriented tuning of the wheel suspension, springs, dampers and various regulating systems to match the various different drive types. They all undergo intensive testing in Arjeplog under extreme climate conditions.

In Lapland’s winter landscape, the test engineers find the perfect preconditions for this. During test drives around the snow-covered roads around Arjeplog, they are able to test and optimise all functions under extremely challenging conditions in order to achieve an absolutely harmonious and BMW-typical driving experience. Moreover, they make use of test surfaces on frozen lakes with their low road friction coefficient in order to achieve particularly fine tuning of suspension control systems. The steering application undergoes meticulous tuning as do the numerous functions of the Dynamic Stability Control system (DSC) and the accurately regulated interaction between friction brake and deceleration by means of energy recuperation.

The winter programme also focuses in particular on the components of the all-electric drive system. The BMW i7’s electric drive, high-voltage battery, power electronics and charging technology all originate from the fifth generation of BMW eDrive technology, which already provides for sustainable driving pleasure in the BMW iX. Above all, it is the motor, the battery and the temperature control system of the BMW i7 that prove their high level of maturity in extreme sub-zero temperatures in the north of Sweden.

With the BMW i7, the brand’s current model offensive in the luxury segment is being continued in a particularly progressive way. For the first time, it is possible to experience a luxury sedan that is characterised by elegance, ride comfort and supremacy without restriction and in conjunction with a purely electric drive system. The BMW i7 is based on the same vehicle concept as all further model variants of the BMW 7 Series. This integrated development also guarantees locally emission-free driving with the characteristic combination of both sporty and comfort-oriented handling properties along with the exclusive spaciousness of a BMW luxury sedan.

Name:  P90445371_highRes_the-bmw-i7-undergoes.jpg
Views: 4737
Size:  1.54 MB

Name:  P90445374_highRes_the-bmw-i7-undergoes.jpg
Views: 4679
Size:  1.52 MB

Name:  P90445373_highRes_the-bmw-i7-undergoes.jpg
Views: 4617
Size:  1.94 MB

Name:  P90445377_highRes_the-bmw-i7-undergoes.jpg
Views: 4774
Size:  2.05 MB

Name:  P90445382_highRes_the-bmw-i7-undergoes.jpg
Views: 4795
Size:  2.14 MB

Name:  P90445385_highRes_the-bmw-i7-undergoes.jpg
Views: 4604
Size:  1.48 MB

Name:  P90445387_highRes_the-bmw-i7-undergoes.jpg
Views: 4541
Size:  1.11 MB

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 4
nathanm4681.00
BPMSport3380.50
oz555671.00
werdn656.00
      11-30-2021, 08:32 PM   #2
oz555
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340i x-drive

Garage List
2021 BMW M340iX  [9.00]
Thanks for sharing Jason. Although it is heavy camouflaged it is clear that this will be giant step forward. This 7 Series will kill already obsolete MB S class (we all know that last real S class was W140). I have a feeling that this 7 will be leading car of its class, by far.
Appreciate 2
werdn656.00
PABrian149.50
      11-30-2021, 08:39 PM   #3
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Hopefully it didn't get stuck in the snow like its smaller sibling

I really hope BMW gets the new 7er right, its been long overshadowed by competitors. A mix of beauty and athleticism like the E38 would make a great 7er. The last 7er to get some attention was the E65, and most of it wasn't good, the last two generations I feel like have mostly been easily forgettable.
Attached Images

alphawawa190.00
Germanauto9665.50
bjcarls458.50
      11-30-2021, 08:49 PM   #4
werdn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.1 GT3 Shark, ex E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz555 View Post
Thanks for sharing Jason. Although it is heavy camouflaged it clear that this will be giant step forward. This 7 Series will kill already obsolete MB S class (we all know that last real S class was W140). I have a feeling that this 7 will be leading car of its class, by far.
Hopefully though they don't pull off something too weirdly polarizing
Appreciate 1
oz555671.00
      11-30-2021, 09:35 PM   #5
Dimitri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Thanks for sharing Jason. Although it is heavy camouflaged it clear that this will be giant step forward. This 7 Series will kill already obsolete MB S class (we all know that last real S class was W140). I have a feeling that this 7 will be leading car of its class, by far.
You must have not driven the new S. There is nothing obsolete about that car. No doubt the new 7 will be a step forward in technology, as it should be, but killing the S will not. I am curious about the design with the split headlights but the 7 was never a looker so lets see.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      12-01-2021, 01:14 AM   #6
ron_jeremy
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 13' F25 X3 20d & 16' i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
Quote:
You must have not driven the new S. There is nothing obsolete about that car. No doubt the new 7 will be a step forward in technology, as it should be, but killing the S will not. I am curious about the design with the split headlights but the 7 was never a looker so lets see.
It's also a car named EQS which i7 will be up against, i reckon the new 7 will dissapoint - again, beeing the second best car in this segment.
Appreciate 2
volodp193.50
///M TOWN13117.00
      12-01-2021, 02:50 AM   #7
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

Here is the video:

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      12-01-2021, 05:11 AM   #8
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_jeremy View Post
Quote:
Quote:
It's also a car named EQS which i7 will be up against, i reckon the new 7 will dissapoint - again, beeing the second best car in this segment.
My opinion, the 7 Series will always fall behind the S Class. Not saying that because the 7er is a bad car, but the final product is not what buyers want in this segment and that has more to do with being a BMW - it's never going to check all the boxes you would expect for a full-size luxury car whether it's aesthetics, features, drive characteristics.

You look at the G11, at the time, it had every thing you would expect in a full-size luxury but what really held it back was the drive - the suspension was not well sorted vs the S Class and even the A8. It's still more comfortable than other BMW's but it's still a BMW so there's that "sport" factor that you'll find that people in this segment aren't exactly looking for.
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN13117.00
F32Fleet3539.50
      12-01-2021, 07:48 AM   #9
oz555
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340i x-drive

Garage List
2021 BMW M340iX  [9.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Yes I did. New 3D dash is interesting but there is no any hype over the new S class.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 11:25 AM   #10
ferasjamshed@gmail.com
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E46

It would be stupid to say the new s class is not good, but it isn't as big of game changer as the previous generations were. Its almost like a facelift instead of a full redesign. the weird thing to me is that the s class didn't introduce the new design language like the other generations did before. This time, the A class brought the new design language. Unlike the new S class, the g70 is a complete 100% redesign. Just look at the spyshots and you can see this. I am certain that it will look very different to every other BMW when it comes out (except the XM maybe). People will hate it, because people hate change (like the XM that i actually like). But at the end of the day, it will be an all new car which i think will change the segment like the E32 and E38 did all those years ago.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 11:57 AM   #11
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferasjamshed@gmail.com View Post
It would be stupid to say the new s class is not good, but it isn't as big of game changer as the previous generations were. Its almost like a facelift instead of a full redesign. the weird thing to me is that the s class didn't introduce the new design language like the other generations did before. This time, the A class brought the new design language. Unlike the new S class, the g70 is a complete 100% redesign. Just look at the spyshots and you can see this. I am certain that it will look very different to every other BMW when it comes out (except the XM maybe). People will hate it, because people hate change (like the XM that i actually like). But at the end of the day, it will be an all new car which i think will change the segment like the E32 and E38 did all those years ago.
Not saying BMW couldn't buck the trend but the entire automotive industry is in this phase of keeping things conservative with very little change. BMW is sort of going back to the Bangle era where they're trying to differentiate between models, but they're doing it and adding a bit more than they should.

Personally, the 4er grille isn't terrible, the shape is acceptable, the size/length of it is what makes it worse than it should be. If they kept the vertical grilles like the Homage Concept, the 4er would look a lot better while still being different. BMW's problem is they don't know when to stop.
Appreciate 3
      12-01-2021, 12:27 PM   #12
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
My opinion, the 7 Series will always fall behind the S Class. Not saying that because the 7er is a bad car, but the final product is not what buyers want in this segment and that has more to do with being a BMW - it's never going to check all the boxes you would expect for a full-size luxury car whether it's aesthetics, features, drive characteristics.

You look at the G11, at the time, it had every thing you would expect in a full-size luxury but what really held it back was the drive - the suspension was not well sorted vs the S Class and even the A8. It's still more comfortable than other BMW's but it's still a BMW so there's that "sport" factor that you'll find that people in this segment aren't exactly looking for.
At least from what reviewers have said on a consistent basis, there is absolutely nothing sporty about the 7-series and it has been that way for generations. I'd prefer they try and recapture the sporting nature of the E38 than churning out bloated BMW boats.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 04:34 PM   #13
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Quote:

At least from what reviewers have said on a consistent basis, there is absolutely nothing sporty about the 7-series and it has been that way for generations. I'd prefer they try and recapture the sporting nature of the E38 than churning out bloated BMW boats.
For BMW standards, it's not sporty but relative to the S Class and A8, there is a noticeable difference - the steering is heavier, the suspension doesn't dampen like you would expect in a luxury car, it isn't as quiet. Whether or not you associate that as being "sporty", not sure. But of the 3, the 7er has those characteristics that are different than the other two.

Ultimately that's the downfall of the 7er in this segment. It wants to be a luxury boat, as it should for this class, but it adds those "sporting" characteristics which almost confuses and ruins the car. It's still a good car, but when compared to the S Class, it falls short.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 05:19 PM   #14
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For BMW standards, it's not sporty but relative to the S Class and A8, there is a noticeable difference - the steering is heavier, the suspension doesn't dampen like you would expect in a luxury car, it isn't as quiet. Whether or not you associate that as being "sporty", not sure. But of the 3, the 7er has those characteristics that are different than the other two.

Ultimately that's the downfall of the 7er in this segment. It wants to be a luxury boat, as it should for this class, but it adds those "sporting" characteristics which almost confuses and ruins the car. It's still a good car, but when compared to the S Class, it falls short.
All fair points. But where I believe the 7-series truly falls short is in design. It just looks like a generic bloated BMW and lacks the presence of the S-class. The refresh helps but the car still just looks mostly forgettable. What's even worse is the interior design, which is wholly generic and lacks any sense of occasion. Sure W223's screen is a bit much, but the car is certainly modern and fulfilling customer expectations. The Bimmer has been left in the dust.

The forthcoming redesigned Genesis G90, whose photos were unveiled yesterday, honestly looks way nicer than the 7er.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 06:38 PM   #15
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Quote:

All fair points. But where I believe the 7-series truly falls short is in design. It just looks like a generic bloated BMW and lacks the presence of the S-class. The refresh helps but the car still just looks mostly forgettable. What's even worse is the interior design, which is wholly generic and lacks any sense of occasion. Sure W223's screen is a bit much, but the car is certainly modern and fulfilling customer expectations. The Bimmer has been left in the dust.

The forthcoming redesigned Genesis G90, whose photos were unveiled yesterday, honestly looks way nicer than the 7er.
Agreed. Design is the other thing and it's pretty big in this segment. I look at the 7er and I don't question the quality and the craftsmanship - I do believe it has that over the S Class, but it severely lacks that the glitz and wow factor which the S Class has in spades.

The 7er does a lot of things right which it make it a very quality product, but it doesn't do well in the things that matter to people who buy in this segment.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      12-01-2021, 07:50 PM   #16
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Agreed. Design is the other thing and it's pretty big in this segment. I look at the 7er and I don't question the quality and the craftsmanship - I do believe it has that over the S Class, but it severely lacks that the glitz and wow factor which the S Class has in spades.

The 7er does a lot of things right which it make it a very quality product, but it doesn't do well in the things that matter to people who buy in this segment.
Yeah exactly, it reminds me of SavageGeese's criticism of the 8-series: that it's a very corporate and "check the boxes" type of product. It's not like the 7-series is a bad car or a failure, as I believe it's consistently been the second best selling in that segment for a long time now. I know a lot of people who just love BMW and would only consider a 7-series if they were in shopping in that segment. They are still really nice cars and are cheaper leasing than the S-class. But the 7er just doesn't go that extra mile.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 02:56 PM   #17
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

I know haters are going to hate, but I'm really rooting for this car. Had been waiting for BMW to take electrification more seriously than i3 and i8. After buying a 2016 G12 (750Li), which replaced my previous 2012 F02 (740Li) my conscience concerning the environment, etc. got the best of me, and I bought a Tesla Model X Performance (since Tesla had the fastest, most prevalent, and convenient long-haul charging infrastructure). I love big, luxurious cars, and while the Model X is incredibly austere inside when compared to my G12 7er, it's roomy, wicked fast, and has become my go-to car for a variety of reasons, which include never stopping to refuel unless on a road trip (I charge in my garage nightly), and absolutely zero (I'm not exaggerating here) zero maintenance. The car has never been to a service center in the nearly three years I've owned it. If this new i7 isn't a design nightmare (I know... subjective) it could woo me back into the fold. Again... high hopes.

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 1