New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

12-30-2019, 06:22 PM   #1
Young_yogib
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e89 z4

E85 rear bilstine stut on e89?

Thoughts?

I recently upgraded from my 2004 Z4 with bilstine b6 HD front and rear struts and a staggered 17" & 18" aftermarket wheel and tire setup, to a stock 2009 e89 z4 with roughly 150,000 miles on it. My wheels and tire transferred over easily enough (was worried about rubbing running a 45mm offset but was pleasantly surprised) and I'm aware that the front suspension wont transfer, at least I dont think...

However, I remember eading that the rear chasis of the e89 is a hodge podge of the e46/e85, at first glance seems very similar save for the upper strut mount which can be swapped out.

Assuming the previous owners never replaced their suspension, and that the gently used ( less than 2000 miles )bilstien off my e85 will fit, does this seem like something even worth trying out? Or is the strut underpowered for the e89 which is more than a bit heavier?

Anyone else ever try something like this or know where to find out if parts are compatible?

Probably just gonna atleast try it anyways and see, but jus wanted some input...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 04:07 PM   #2
Young_yogib
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e89 z4

tried it anyways, almost everything was interchangeable but the lower strut mount bolt on the e89 is just THAT much larger and wont fit the opening on the e85 bilstine...

shame, guess i'll just have to find them a new home...
Appreciate 0