New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

07-15-2019, 05:00 PM   #1
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Have You Been Affected by Chinese Tariffs?

So I was expecting prices to go up but everything costs the same when I go to a Chinese supermarket. So anyone claiming tariffs increase prices must be wrong. Thoughts? Or did they reach a deal?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 05:23 PM   #2
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
So I was expecting prices to go up but everything costs the same when I go to a Chinese supermarket. So anyone claiming tariffs increase prices must be wrong. Thoughts? Or did they reach a deal?
They only went into effect on 7/6/2019. One would imagine it will take a little bit to see any trickle down effects. As with any tariff, some will be absorbed by the manufacturer, some absorbed by the wholesaler, some absorbed by the retailer, and some absorbed by the end consumer, and some will be a combination of any or all of these facets.

This is just basic econ 101.

07-15-2019, 05:27 PM   #3
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

The tariff only affects good that are being imported after the effective date. Most brands will have stock in the country already so they are able to sell at the existing cost without worrying about the tariff. Once the stock runs out and they need to import more inventory, that's when you'll see the prices go up.
Run Silent12337.50

07-15-2019, 05:28 PM   #4
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Quote:
They only went into effect on 7/6/2019. One would imagine it will take a little bit to see any trickle down effects. As with any tariff, some will be absorbed by the manufacturer, some absorbed by the wholesaler, some absorbed by the retailer, and some absorbed by the end consumer, and some will be a combination of any or all of these facets.

This is just basic econ 101.

The Chinese are super price sensitive and it is a hyper competitive micro economy but I imagine margins aren't that high. There's probably some shipping through Vietnam or Philippines as well. They used to sell pirated DVDs as well so there may be ways to get around the tariffs or they are absorbing the cost.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 05:35 PM   #5
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
The Chinese are super price sensitive and it is a hyper competitive micro economy but I imagine margins aren't that high. There's probably some shipping through Vietnam or Philippines as well. They used to sell pirated DVDs as well so there may be ways to get around the tariffs or they are absorbing the cost.
Well - it is unlikely that anything you are currently purchasing was manufactured subsequent to July 6th. As such, the likelihood of a tariff having any impact on an item that is at an end user consumer location is very remote. With exception of perhaps some JIT items going into globally sourced manufacturing centers, tariff impacts typically take months to have an end user impact.

Again, this is pretty common stuff and really is basic macro econ.
      07-15-2019, 07:05 PM   #6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 LeMans Blue

Quote:
The company I work for manufactures professional equipment for audio. Prices went up from 0-25% effective July 1st. Most other companies in our industry had either already raised prices or also did so on July 1st. It is absolutely happening and both manufacturers and retail are concerned about long term effects on business.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 07:24 PM   #7
N54Yankee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Buy American!
"The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.Ē Samuel Adams
Appreciate 1
NickyC5405.00

07-15-2019, 09:38 PM   #8
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: JTR

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
With my previous company, we were having issues securing boats to import containers from Europe. It was a buying frenzy during the talks to get as much brought in before they went into effect. There was a good chunk of time where our goods were delayed by anywhere up to a month since boats were scarce.

Also, the thread title had me thinking of Saul Goodman.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
minn195904.00
Run Silent12337.50

07-15-2019, 09:41 PM   #9
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 F150, 19 M550 19 ZL1 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Buy American!
Please tell me you meant the irony/hypocrisy by this post.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 10:25 PM   #10
N54Yankee
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Please tell me you meant the irony/hypocrisy by this post.
No can do. I do my best to not buy Chinese goods and have been doing so for years and my post was to remind and encourage others here to do the same.
"The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.Ē Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 10:52 PM   #11
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No can do. I do my best to not buy Chinese goods and have been doing so for years and my post was to remind and encourage others here to do the same.
I was afraid you didnít get it.

You said buy American, not donít buy Chinese goods.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 06:05 AM   #12
N54Yankee
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was afraid you didnít get it.

You said buy American, not donít buy Chinese goods.
Since this is a thread about Chinese goods itís a given thatís primarily my point.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 08:21 AM   #13
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Since this is a thread about Chinese goods itís a given thatís primarily my point.
Ah ok, Chinese vs American "buy American." Otherwise get whatever you want like German cars etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 09:03 AM   #14
N54Yankee
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ah ok, Chinese vs American "buy American." Otherwise get whatever you want like German cars etc.
That’s right. China constant steals American secrets both economically and militarily but you know that already and don’t care. I do care about that and I put America first, it’s clear from your posts you don’t.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...rets-yanjun-xu
Appreciate 1
minn195904.00

07-16-2019, 09:18 AM   #15
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Buy American!
Aside from firearms and shitty cars. What exactly can I buy that's still made in America now-a-days?
minn195904.00
1 AKY300.00

07-16-2019, 09:29 AM   #16
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thatís right. China constant steals American secrets both economically and militarily but you know that already and donít care. I do care about that and I put America first, itís clear from your posts you donít.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...rets-yanjun-xu
Wow, we know all of this about me huh. Maybe I should GTFO?

What we do know about you (and others that go down this worn out trope) is you do not "put America first" by your purchasing habits.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 09:30 AM   #17
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Hammock View Post
Aside from firearms and shitty cars. What exactly can I buy that's still made in America now-a-days?
^This, with such a global supply chain it is pretty hard to figure out where all the parts of whatever widget you bought were manufactured/assembled.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 09:31 AM   #18
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep

To the OPs question, I know the MN soybean farmers (and others of course) are hit hard by the tariffs. China switched suppliers and they say the market is essentially gone possibly forever.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 09:47 AM   #19
Maynard
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228iX

You do know that BMW is one of the largest auto manufacturers in the US right now, right? Not the models we love, but the bulk of production is here in the states. And I hear we export a shit-ton of them to China (hence that Alfred E Neuman grill); BMW is Amuricas largest exporter of autos overall IIRC. I hear Nissan also has major US auto plants, so several choices if you really want to drive an American Car that isn't too shitty.

And as for being affected by the tariffs, since I'm not a farmer, I figure I'm going to get through OK. Tariffs on consumer goods, while Chinese tech companies and real estate brokers get the red carpet (along w/ every dirtbag despot on the globe). Are y'all sick of winning bigly yet? Is it Great Again? (I know, wrong forum...)
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 10:02 AM   #20
upstatedoc
pew pew
Rep
Drives: blue streak

way to go op with this thread
Countermeasure enthusiast.
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2019, 10:03 AM   #21
N54Yankee
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow, we know all of this about me huh. Maybe I should GTFO?

What we do know about you (and others that go down this worn out trope) is you do not "put America first" by your purchasing habits.
Iíve been reading on this site before I became a member and even before you joined up here and itís safe to say I do know a lot about you by your own words. Just because we disagree on most things politically doesnít mean I think I want you to go. Itís ok to discuss, debate and even argue.
The 135 I purchased was my first foreign car and Iíve been buying cars for over 3o years.
Putting America first doesnít mean only buying American 100% of the time all the time but you know that. We both know that itís a global economy but I and many others choose to put as little cash in the hands of foreign countries we deem not business friendly to the USA. Itís impossible to to do all the time but efforts are made to minimize. Thatís my choice and has been for a long time. Quite strange that some are perplexed by that.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 10:11 AM   #22
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I’ve been reading on this site before I became a member and even before you joined up here and it’s safe to say I do know a lot about you by your own words. Just because we disagree on most things politically doesn’t mean I think I want you to go. It’s ok to discuss, debate and even argue.
The 135 I purchased was my first foreign car and I’ve been buying cars for over 3o years.
Putting America first doesn’t mean only buying American 100% of the time all the time but you know that. We both know that it’s a global economy but I and many others choose to put as little cash in the hands of foreign countries we deem not business friendly to the USA. It’s impossible to to do all the time but efforts are made to minimize. That’s my choice and has been for a long time. Quite strange that some are perplexed by that.
If you have been reading for that long than you would know that it is one of the very few things I think Trump is doing mostly right. Which is his handling and decision to stand up to China in the trade and intellectual property fight.

I'm perplexed by the amount of times I've seen people here say "buy American." And then put caveats/excuses on it when challenged by why they post that when driving a German car on a site dedicated to German cars. It was not impossible to buy an American sports car when you got your 135, but as you say, you chose not to while admonishing others to "buy American."

Edit: I don't think Germany is unfriendly to us, but Trump does. As you know they are and have been a fierce competitor to US domestic automakers for decades now.
Appreciate 0