New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

05-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #45
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL View Post
Yeahhhh right... BMW 760Li is for example here in Finland a bit less 300 000€ which is almost $400 000. Yeah not many has been sold here but try to remember the cars are ridiculously cheap in States.
You can't compare by country as there are many contributors to the final price. You have to consider taxes as the main differentiator in many cases, and understand US msrp does not include taxes while most other quotes include taxes. The US also has scale on its side that allows BMW NA to package cars in a cost effective manner. Of course, our shores are open so you are welcome to come across and enjoy our reasonably priced a automobiles.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 11:27 PM   #46
crooked I
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M

scott when are you allowed to post more info/pictures of the next generation X5? im dieing to see more pictures as it will probably be my next car
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 11:29 PM   #47
335pilot
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235, 2008 335i, 2008 X5

I recently had to swap my 3 year old X5, which we really liked and enjoyed, for a qx56 when my family of three became a family of five. I would have traded for an X7 for sure. X7d would be fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 02:30 AM   #48
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidMal View Post
Wow, a very heavy article to read there.
All of it makes perfect sense, it's just sad that we will be seeing even more BMWs on the road soon. The brand has already lost a lot of its unique characteristics and is quickly becoming the every mans car. I think that BMW M devision will assume the previous role of its parent company and carry the name and heritage. Otherwise just a big ugly car selling monster. I am already worried after seeing the f30 3ers release of how the f32 will feel. I am not interested in a car every 18 yr old girl will get for graduating high school. I guess I will be more inclined to the next M4 coupe.
Excellent post. Very similar of how I feel. BMW use to have a uniqueness to them, almost hard to put into words. They were just different. They have become just another German automaker.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 03:26 AM   #49
Paninaro
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dbimmer89
As long as BMW places a blue and white badge on it, people around the world will buy it. BMW is perceived around the world as the ultimate premium automotive brand along with Audi and Mercedes so when people want to feel high ...they can now pick out whichever weird concoction BMW makes ...its like being thirsty at a coke machine.
Spot on.
      05-08-2012, 04:29 AM   #50
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

X7, X8, seriously? I hope not. CSII I wouldn't mind though!
      05-08-2012, 05:20 AM   #51
Sky_Driver
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 318i, 2015 Lexus NX20

Quote:
Originally Posted by newowner35i View Post
While profits are the main reason bmw is alive, the trend here is not good. Im chinese and travel there often with friends driving bmws that dont know the point of the brand. A economic recession will happen in china in 3-5 years time and nobody will buy cars. Im extremely dissapointed decisions made destroying the whole point of the brand
I totally agree with you in terms of the economic recession of china....
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 08:51 AM   #52
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
X7, X8, seriously? I hope not. CSII I wouldn't mind though!
Why do you hope not? What's the problem with more options?

BMW needs the X7 to compete in the US with the other gigantic SUVs here.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #53
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
Why do you hope not? What's the problem with more options?

BMW needs the X7 to compete in the US with the other gigantic SUVs here.
BMW is a small car company. They only have so much money to invest in new models so every dollar spent on an X7 or X7M are dollars not spent on other cars they could develop. I think most people here would rather they spared no expense on the next M3, but that's not where they're going. They're going to spread themselves thin and broad which means it will be increasing unlikely that any of their offerings will be significantly superior to what the competition offers.
      05-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #54
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
BMW is a small car company. They only have so much money to invest in new models so every dollar spent on an X7 or X7M are dollars not spent on other cars they could develop. I think most people here would rather they spared no expense on the next M3, but that's not where they're going. They're going to spread themselves thin and broad which means it will be increasing unlikely that any of their offerings will be significantly superior to what the competition offers.
Just not true. The same argument was used with Porsche when they first released the Cayenne. Guess what model generates most of their revenue?

These SUVs actually generate the money needed to improve the "small cars" in their fleet. They do not detract from their development.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 09:55 AM   #55
Smokey
Lucky Lefty
Rep
Drives: on twisty roads

Garage List
2019 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2017 Porsche Macan GTS  [8.00]
2011 M3  [10.00]
2013 bmw F25 msport  [10.00]
2011 335iS  [9.60]
X8?! Wow! Never thought I'd see the day when bmw would make an suv/ sav the size of the largest or longest Esclade! I thought the X5 is already huge, but I guess not. I understand bmw needs to compete with other manufacturers, I just hope spending on r&d for the M cars is not reduced. Two thumbs up for the CS II concept.

The Power of M

Last edited by Smokey; 05-08-2012 at 10:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #56
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
X8?! Wow! Never thought I'd see the day when bmw would make an suv/ sav the size of the largest or longest Esclade! I thought the X5 is already huge, but I guess not. I understand bmw needs to compete with other manufacturers, I just hope spending on r&d for the M cars is not reduced. Two thumbs up for the CS II concept.
You might be surprised man. Two baby seats in the back and it becomes a two seater! Can't put a baby seat in the third row, so people with large families are really limited. Depending on the baby seat/child seat in question, it can even make the front of the car cramped!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #57
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Just not true. The same argument was used with Porsche when they first released the Cayenne. Guess what model generates most of their revenue?

These SUVs actually generate the money needed to improve the "small cars" in their fleet. They do not detract from their development.
Porsche made a big bet on the Cayenne and it worked - to a point. They then tried to double down and take over VW which blew up in their faces in the worst way. The Cayenne was a slightly new idea, but it's not new any more and the competition will be fierce so the upside is no where near as good.
      05-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #58
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
Porsche made a big bet on the Cayenne and it worked - to a point. They then tried to double down and take over VW which blew up in their faces in the worst way. The Cayenne was a slightly new idea, but it's not new any more and the competition will be fierce so the upside is no where near as good.
They sure as hell did blow that!

I don't know I agree with your second point though; I don't see my local dealer discounting Cayennes heavily for the sake of competition. On the other hand, that is what ruled it out in my consideration before getting the X5. When I looked at what I got in the X5 for the same money vs. the Porsche, there really was no comparison. So they could have an issue there...not sure. Certainly the Porsche name is still a higher status symbol than BMW - at least in the US.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #59
elusivefx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw e60 e53 e83

Quote:
They sure as hell did blow that!

I don't know I agree with your second point though; I don't see my local dealer discounting Cayennes heavily for the sake of competition. On the other hand, that is what ruled it out in my consideration before getting the X5. When I looked at what I got in the X5 for the same money vs. the Porsche, there really was no comparison. So they could have an issue there...not sure. Certainly the Porsche name is still a higher status symbol than BMW - at least in the US.
Porsche doesn't discount the Cayenne because it does sell well and their production numbers are much lower than anything else, so dealerships are allocated only a few at a time. Unlike say compare it to Cadillac when the recession hit i remember i was between a Cayenne a Rover Sport and an X5, and a Escallade. I remember the escallades were $15k off sticker. The Cayenne the dealer wouldn't budge, and the X5 BMW had 0.9 up to 60 months on a new car cuz sales were slow, and Landrover was able to give me $7k off sticker. I chose the rover in the end and was very happy with my decision but I remember the Porsche guy at the dealership was so annoying and arrogant and even called me once and said "well a porsche isn't for anyone", while i was trying to negotiate out a deal.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #60
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusivefx View Post
Porsche guy at the dealership was so annoying and arrogant and even called me once and said "well a porsche isn't for anyone", while i was trying to negotiate out a deal.
LOL. The guy sounds like a tool, you should post his name to warn other people.

Sounds like one time my brother went to a Merc dealer and said he was ready to buy (forget which "class" - mid of the road) and wanted to know the price. So the guy says - "there it is" - pointing to the MSRP. My brother said, "ok, but I'm ready to buy so what will you do?". Guy said, "this is a Mercedes sir, they are not discounted".
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #61
Blake P
Kinda Like A Big Deal
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31 on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdomPHD View Post
Hmmm, I reserve judgment till more info is available. And a solid confirmation.
+1. Such speculation is as informative as reading the Enquirer. I know they say scott is a so-called "insider" but he was the one saying that the new 3 series touring would not be coming to the US. Low and behold, the F31 is coming!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #62
Pentium
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
two many models, X7 + X8? larger than 7er? I don't get it....
Chinese market are really weired? 28 years rides a 7er?

I'm 29 and all I can think of is an M3 and maybe M5
      05-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #63
elusivefx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw e60 e53 e83

Quote:
LOL. The guy sounds like a tool, you should post his name to warn other people.

Sounds like one time my brother went to a Merc dealer and said he was ready to buy (forget which "class" - mid of the road) and wanted to know the price. So the guy says - "there it is" - pointing to the MSRP. My brother said, "ok, but I'm ready to buy so what will you do?". Guy said, "this is a Mercedes sir, they are not discounted".
LOL, he was and he works at Westmont Porsche in Illinois.

Thats funny about the Benz guy tho, considering i was able to get $12k off msrp on my E class... lol... I really think a lot of these dealerships need to get their act together
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 05:42 AM   #64
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AMG GTC + RR Velar + 640d GC

Garage List
What role does the GT platform play?

As I understood it at the time, the 5GT used the 7er platform and toolbox with an elevated driving position and coupe like proportions for a progressive activity sedan [PAS] positioning.

The sales have been disappointing because it may have been ahead of its time, and a niche product may have been marketed as an alternative to the touring/wagon, which it isn't in many markets.

But is this the end? Scott26 has no comments to make on the 5GT, 3GT, and in particular how this platform will evolve.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 06:42 AM   #65
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
You might be surprised man. Two baby seats in the back and it becomes a two seater! Can't put a baby seat in the third row, so people with large families are really limited. Depending on the baby seat/child seat in question, it can even make the front of the car cramped!
Def. once u got 2 car seats going, there is no room for adults in the x5. The third row is basically unusable for adults and car seats. You have to be a kid between the ages of 6-10 or a small adult willing to stretch his legs back there on both seats.
      05-09-2012, 07:49 AM   #66
AcidMal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokenHands
As I understood it at the time, the 5GT used the 7er platform and toolbox with an elevated driving position and coupe like proportions for a progressive activity sedan [PAS] positioning.

The sales have been disappointing because it may have been ahead of its time, and a niche product may have been marketed as an alternative to the touring/wagon, which it isn't in many markets.

But is this the end? Scott26 has no comments to make on the 5GT, 3GT, and in particular how this platform will evolve.
I don't think the gt was as far ahead of its time as it was butt ugly. Every time I see one of those drive by (relatively rare) it just leaves me scratching my head thinking, did someone really buy that car?
I am however a fan of the wagons and I have pondered a 7er wagon before, I think it might work really.
Appreciate 0