New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

06-14-2022, 12:30 PM   #45
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

my opinion is that certain collector vehicle V8s will go up (enthusiast cars)... mainly large NA ones (merc 6.2, LS7 ) or high rpm ones like the S65/voodoo. Or very low production stuff (R8 v8).

mass produced V8s probably wont see a big pop in price until a majority of them are ragged out and you're left with only a few low mileage pristine examples in the world.
Appreciate 4
chris7197322.50
Cos270608.50
Alfisti6493.00
UPSROD945.50
      06-14-2022, 01:02 PM   #46
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
The rapidly improving is also a concern. So we spend what, hundreds billions on chargers then find out they are all useless as someone invents one that works twice as fast.

The public charger aspect is a monumental hurdle the industry and government has severely under estimated imho. Plug in Hybrid may well win the day.
Anything other than Tesla's supercharging network is a pain. EA is US best non-Tesla dc fast charging network. As someone who has used it quite a bit, it is dreadful at times. Getting better, but still a lot of issues.
Appreciate 2
Cos270608.50
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
      06-14-2022, 01:04 PM   #47
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
my opinion is that certain collector vehicle V8s will go up (enthusiast cars)... mainly large NA ones (merc 6.2, LS7 ) or high rpm ones like the S65/voodoo. Or very low production stuff (R8 v8).

mass produced V8s probably wont see a big pop in price until a majority of them are ragged out and you're left with only a few low mileage pristine examples in the world.
+1

Add Chevy's new high-revving LT6 V8 to the list.
Appreciate 4
Humdizzle6034.50
Cos270608.50
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
chris7197322.50
      06-14-2022, 01:26 PM   #48
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:

Yeah... no one is going to be pining for a muffled turbo N63 hot-V 5 series. Older 550s already go for super cheap prices because no one wants this engine.
Appreciate 2
Humdizzle6034.50
Cos270608.50
      06-14-2022, 03:47 PM   #49
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
The rapidly improving is also a concern. So we spend what, hundreds billions on chargers then find out they are all useless as someone invents one that works twice as fast.

The public charger aspect is a monumental hurdle the industry and government has severely under estimated imho. Plug in Hybrid may well win the day.

That's how innovation works.

You can't just wait on a product when it's constantly improving.

That's almost similar as waiting for the latest i-phone. You're thinking why would i get the iphone 13, might as well wait for the 14. The day you get the 14, the 15 is already in progress.

PHEV isn't the future. EV is whether people want to argue the pros and cons of each. The table has been set for the future. They are moving with this EV stuff.

I made several posts in a different thread back in december 2021 and i was debating with a guy and he said EV will slow down in progress as EV's sales will drop, or something along those lines. I said come back to this thread in 2 years and see if you're right, which would be december 2023.

Only 6 months in, he's been proven wrong lol.

Really the only thing, or well 2 things that's stopping an EV takeover NOW, is skepticism and not wanting to pay the initial cost to purchase.

Once these 2 things get eliminated, EVERYONE will jump on board. Each day charging networks multiply and get improved. As the months go by battery technology will be vastly improved. There won't be any excuses in 5+ years.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 03:48 PM   #50
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G30/M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90rr View Post
Hi everyone.
I am planing most expensive car purchase soon but one thing makes me reluctant to pull the trigger. With the expansion of EV's, better technologies to produce batteries, more charging support and increasing gas prices, do you think that dumping $60-$80k into m550 with big V8 is the smart idea considering possiblity of the major shift in consumer preference. I generally change cars every 5-7 years depending on mileage and maintenance cost so the resale value is an important factor. Interested to hear opinions.
Thank you.
The BMW V8 isnt going anywhere. In fact, they just created a brand new V8 that is releasing this year. The S68. Its a brand new M motor that will be used in every M V8 vehicle, to include the M "light" cars. They will adjust tuning appropriately. True M vehicles will get special tweaks, but the motor itself is the same throughout the M/M Light lineup.

It will be a "hybrid" but it is only using a very small 48 volt system that is directly bolted to the transmission. It's purpose will help start moving the car in traffic situations.

Read here: https://www.bmwblog.com/2022/04/15/b...vision-engine/
      06-14-2022, 03:57 PM   #51
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post

That's almost similar as waiting for the latest i-phone. You're thinking why would i get the iphone 13, might as well wait for the 14. The day you get the 14, the 15 is already in progress.

PHEV isn't the future. EV is whether people want to argue the pros and cons of each. The table has been set for the future. They are moving with this EV stuff.

I made several posts in a different thread back in december 2021 and i was debating with a guy and he said EV will slow down in progress as EV's sales will drop, or something along those lines. I said come back to this thread in 2 years and see if you're right, which would be december 2023.

Only 6 months in, he's been proven wrong lol.

Really the only thing, or well 2 things that's stopping an EV takeover NOW, is skepticism and not wanting to pay the initial cost to purchase.

Once these 2 things get eliminated, EVERYONE will jump on board. Each day charging networks multiply and get improved. As the months go by battery technology will be vastly improved. There won't be any excuses in 5+ years.
Well there's three more things that's stopping an EV takeover NOW. 1. Infrastructure 2. Grid capacity 3. World economics. None of these are easily overcome, and can't/won't happen overnight no matter how many lofty targets governments want to put in place.
Cos270608.50
      06-14-2022, 04:06 PM   #52
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Well there's three more things that's stopping an EV takeover NOW. 1. Infrastructure 2. Grid capacity 3. World economics. None of these are easily overcome, and can't/won't happen overnight no matter how many lofty targets governments want to put in place.
It definitely won't happen overnight.

But as i said, all those things you have said are continuously improving.

Otherwise they would have put a halt on the gas ban and stop the EV push.

I don't like getting into politics but we have enough oil to last us centuries.

Each year EV sales increase. People do want this type of technology. It doesn't fit every single lifestyle but again, that will change. No not overnight but it will.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 04:36 PM   #53
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
It definitely won't happen overnight.

But as i said, all those things you have said are continuously improving.

Otherwise they would have put a halt on the gas ban and stop the EV push.

I don't like getting into politics but we have enough oil to last us centuries.

Each year EV sales increase. People do want this type of technology. It doesn't fit every single lifestyle but again, that will change. No not overnight but it will.
If your 40 or over, ice will be around till you croak. Drive on peeps
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 05:41 PM   #54
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
If your 40 or over, ice will be around till you croak. Drive on peeps
I turn 40 this year lol.

Lots of things can change when it comes to election time but at this stage, i think it's safe to say this is what "they" want.

Gas engines will be around until we all die. How much will they tax us in order for us to continue to use them is another story
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      06-15-2022, 07:19 AM   #55
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:

It's not the same as a consumer good at all, you're talking massive infrastructure costs that may be redundant in 3 to 5 years. Who is paying for all this?

New poll last night showed only 30% of Canadians would consider a pure EV right now, not buy, but consider. BANG on my estimate.

I am very bullish about this, I called out the optimism on AI tech and self driving and we have effectively gone backwards in 5 years. EV's will be more successful than that but the lack of home charging options for great, massive swathes of the population will kill the idea of market domination. ICE will be legislated out so the compromise will be PHEV to some degree.

I am a cold hearted pragmatist, i cannot see how the charging issue is addressed in a cost effective manner.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      06-15-2022, 08:10 AM   #56
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

the biggest hurdle for EV is cost of entry in to an EV car. Until you can buy a new/used EV with significant enough battery life to last 100k miles + for cheap like you can an old beat up car, its not going to have widespread adoption. The average wage in the USA is ~50-60k. That isnt enough to buy one of these current EV options. The cheapest EV right now new is 27k (nissan leaf). That is out of the price range of many people. Mitsubishi, Nissan, Huyndai, Kia, Chevy and Subaru all have new cars that start at under 20k. Until new EVs can get under 20k, and prove reliable enough to run a couple hundred thousand miles without a significant repair cost to get there, its not happening.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      06-15-2022, 09:46 AM   #57
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

Yeah, I'm with the others.

V8, V10, V12 will be VERY coveted. Their value will rocket, especially if it's a naturally aspirated engine.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 09:47 AM   #58
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

This guy gets it.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 11:56 AM   #59
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It's not the same as a consumer good at all, you're talking massive infrastructure costs that may be redundant in 3 to 5 years. Who is paying for all this?

New poll last night showed only 30% of Canadians would consider a pure EV right now, not buy, but consider. BANG on my estimate.

I am very bullish about this, I called out the optimism on AI tech and self driving and we have effectively gone backwards in 5 years. EV's will be more successful than that but the lack of home charging options for great, massive swathes of the population will kill the idea of market domination. ICE will be legislated out so the compromise will be PHEV to some degree.

I am a cold hearted pragmatist, i cannot see how the charging issue is addressed in a cost effective manner.
If you look at the very first model Tesla put on the road to where it is today, you’re saying the advancements as time go on which is accelerated that they won’t have improved on the flaws we’re seeing today?

Tesla is still 10 years ahead of everyone when ford laughed at the idea 10 years ago, and now they’re playing catch up.

If anyone can make these improvements rapidly it’s Tesla.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 01:32 PM   #60
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
If you look at the very first model Tesla put on the road to where it is today, you’re saying the advancements as time go on which is accelerated that they won’t have improved on the flaws we’re seeing today?

Tesla is still 10 years ahead of everyone when ford laughed at the idea 10 years ago, and now they’re playing catch up.

If anyone can make these improvements rapidly it’s Tesla.
What improvements have they made to their vehicles since introduction? The software gets worse every upgrade and all their cars are still largely the same inside and out. The 4680 batteries are only a very modest improvement and nothing earth shattering. If anything their cars have got worse as Tesla has stripped their vehicles of many features that were initially standard. The Model 3 performance doesn't even get lowering springs anymore as it's got the same ride height as the long range as they even had to remove the "lowered ride" from their performance description. If anything the new EV's from legacy automakers have shown that it really didn't take long for them to meet Tesla's range and performance.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      06-15-2022, 01:39 PM   #61
mikado463
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 x5 35i , '67 Corvette BB,

Quote:
I turn 40 this year lol.

Lots of things can change when it comes to election time but at this stage, i think it's safe to say this is what "they" want.

Gas engines will be around until we all die. How much will they tax us in order for us to continue to use them is another story
68 here, just glad to make it to the next 'fill up' !
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
Cos270608.50
      06-15-2022, 01:45 PM   #62
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
What improvements have they made to their vehicles since introduction? The software gets worse every upgrade and all their cars are still largely the same inside and out. The 4680 batteries are only a very modest improvement and nothing earth shattering. If anything their cars have got worse as Tesla has stripped their vehicles of many features that were initially standard. The Model 3 performance doesn't even get lowering springs anymore as it's got the same ride height as the long range as they even had to remove the "lowered ride" from their performance description. If anything the new EV's from legacy automakers have shown that it really didn't take long for them to meet Tesla's range and performance.
It’s an ev that works. And a supercharging network that is only multiplying. Who else is doing what they’re doing?

Their cars are about simplicity. Why are their sales going up each year if everything “looks the same”.

And I have no idea what you’re talking about with software. I have zero issues with my model 3.

What ev has the performance of a plaid in its price range? I’ll wait.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 01:48 PM   #63
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It’s an ev that works. And a supercharging network that is only multiplying. Who else is doing what they’re doing?

Their cars are about simplicity. Why are their sales going up each year if everything “looks the same”.

And I have no idea what you’re talking about with software. I have zero issues with my model 3.

What ev has the performance of a plaid in its price range? I’ll wait.
I have a Model 3 Performance and there's nothing about it that makes me feel like this vehicle is any more advanced than our other vehicles. Maybe your screen doesn't reboot when you are driving but mine does. There are good things about this car but I'm always reminded that I'm driving a piece of junk that happens to have decent batteries and motors. After all these years they still can't build a good car and that will be their undoing.
Appreciate 2
chad86tsi1605.00
Cos270608.50
      06-15-2022, 01:49 PM   #64
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

It'll take half a century before we have the infrastructure to support EVERYONE in an EV - minimum.

We'll keep moving in that direction, I'm sure but I'm fairly confident hydrogen or alternative fuel combustion engines will still be a thing. Power on demand will always > charging. Overnight is fine but having to stop and recharge somewhere, even if it's a supercharger is lame af. "Ohhhhh you can just get a coffee and a snack." F*ck off, I have better things to do than jerk off at Wawa.

That being said, I'll be replacing my truck with a Tesla in the next year. So I'm not anti-EV but there's stuff that annoys me about them.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      06-15-2022, 02:12 PM   #65
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
I have a Model 3 Performance and there's nothing about it that makes me feel like this vehicle is any more advanced than our other vehicles. Maybe your screen doesn't reboot when you are driving but mine does. There are good things about this car but I'm always reminded that I'm driving a piece of junk that happens to have decent batteries and motors. After all these years they still can't build a good car and that will be their undoing.
What year is yours? I have 2 friends with 2020. One is a piece of trash with problems galore. The other is pretty flawless. My 2022 is flawless too aside from minor interior panel gaps. But otherwise great. It’s not supposed to be German quality: it’s supposed to be the leading edge in this type of technology and it works. It’s fast and it’s convenient.

I’m talking about the technology that is second to none right now. Im sure other car makers will catch up but they’re not right now.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 03:34 PM   #66
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep

I have a 2022. Interior has actually exceeded expectations but my rear bumper doesn't fit right as there's a big gap one side, a front fender was misaligned, and one headlight was not flush. All have been fixed except the rear bumper cover as they may have to replace it or the mounting bracket. It's a pretty noisy car and just doesn't sound very solid when driving. It feels a little like driving a polished kit car. I knew what I was getting into so I'm not exactly surprised as some things are better than expected and some things as expected.
Appreciate 1
chris7197322.50