New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-15-2022, 12:17 AM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

question about engine oil top-ups

I never really thought about it and it's maybe a silly question, but I go to an indy for basic stuff like oil changes, and to the dealer for more srs stuff. So I'm going to the dealer and they will top up all my fluids and I just realized that in the past they just used to put in 0W-30 when my indy uses 5W-40. Should I insist that they use the latter or they will just put whatever they think for my car? What happens if different types of oil are used? I don't think anything bad happened all these times.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 09:18 AM   #2
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

Nothing terrible happens. Chances are it won’t need a top up anyway. Don’t sweat the small stuff!
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2022, 01:44 PM   #3
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

I definitely need a top-up this time since it's halfway but tx for the assurance. So this leads to the question why do ppl bother w the different oil types if this happens every time one goes to different shops?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 03:02 PM   #4
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

Think about it; the dilution rate from adding 1/2 or even 1 quart of 5W-40 to 5.5 or so quarts of 0W-30 is insignificant. You use a specific oil brand/type because that's what the manual says or that's what you prefer. Besides, many (if not most) modern engines do not require "topping up" between changes. Neither my wife's Z4 or my Mazda 3 do for example.
PS: You have two alternatives
1) Take it to your indie shop to have oil added or
2) Get a quart of you preferred 0W-30; add it yourself and instruct the dealer to skip this step.
This isn't rocket science!

Last edited by paris1; 05-15-2022 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 03:13 AM   #5
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Well, it's rocket science to me

Anyway, my car has always been good re not drinking crazy amounts of oil (always at full or near that) but just recently it is starting to drink LOTS, I just had recent servicing so it was topped up, but just a few weeks after it was at 75% full (between the MIN and MAX markers), now a further I guess 2 months it is now at 50% full...is this normal? Should I bother to top up or just leave it unless it instructs me to? What oil do you guys use? TIA.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 02:37 PM   #6
B21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E89 Atacama Yellow 35is

When the oil level manager asks for oil it’s a quart / litre to top up.

BMW is paranoid about people over filling…

When it gets close to low / a quarter you could add a pint or 1/2 a litre..

Almost any modern motor oil in the 0w-30 area is best.

The 0w-20 oils are only really to eek out the fuel consumption figures.

The best thing you can do for your engine is to change your oil annually or at the latest every 8k..whichever comes first..
Appreciate 1