New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

01-27-2021, 09:28 AM   #1
jdanham
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 Z4

Jump started dead battery now Transmission fail alert?

Our household has 2 vehicles and with Covid-19 we only needed one, so my 2011 Z4 3.5i is in storage in the garage. I've been starting it up regularly but for some reason I left it too long and the battery went dead and had to jump start it using a booster device. The car started up but suddenly out of nowhere I am seeing Transmission and braking system failure messages! I left the vehicle running for about 5 minutes, during which I engaged and disengaged the emergency brake (successfully), and attempted to engage reverse/drive/park gears - all unsuccessfully.

I am pretty sure that both of these systems are controlled by the power system, and since I have not seen any warning prior to the jump start, I am going to assume that this problem is likely caused by the jump start. Perhaps a surge blew a fuse?

In any event I'll be calling the dealership today but it would be great if I had some insights from others who may have had, seen or heard of this issue before.

Thanks in advance!
Dan
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 02:49 PM   #2
jdanham
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 Z4

OK the problem solved itself when I re-jump started the vehicle and let it run for 25 minutes, just to make sure that the battery was fully charged. Disconnected the jumper cables, shut down the vehicle for a few minutes and then started up with no booster and the errors cleared!

I'm not exactly sure what happened but I'm glad to share this for anyone who may encounter this behavior.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 02:19 AM   #3
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanham View Post
OK the problem solved itself when I re-jump started the vehicle and let it run for 25 minutes, just to make sure that the battery was fully charged. Disconnected the jumper cables, shut down the vehicle for a few minutes and then started up with no booster and the errors cleared!

I'm not exactly sure what happened but I'm glad to share this for anyone who may encounter this behavior.
Low battery faults. If the car detects a low battery then all kinds of faults can come up, so in this instance this is what probably happened, you'd probably have got a Low Discharge fault as well. It should be fine as long as you charge it up, but will possibly have some stored fault codes that wont be a problem as they can be cleared next time a code reader is connected.

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 02:45 AM   #4
OnOffPT
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive20d

I'm suffering for a mysterious battery drain for the last 1 year and I noticed this behavior. It always goes away with a turn-off turn-on cycle of the engine.
Appreciate 0