New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-29-2019, 05:08 AM   #1
Bonnygator
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 Z4 sDrive23i

No iDrive update option

Hi everyone,

I just got my 2009 23i a week ago, and while I love it, there's something I don't quite understand. Going onto bmw.com/update revealed there is an update to my iDrive system (UDP01008), which seems to improve some handsfree connectivity and this being a 2009 car I figured that might come in handy. However, there is no entry for 'Software Update' in the 'Settings' submenu of my iDrive menu. This car has the 6FL option, and from what I could gather that should enable me to update the software through USB myself.

Is there some hidden setting I'm not aware of? Or is this car simply too old and should this update be done by a BMW dealership?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 11:18 AM   #2
DennisT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 30i

I am also a new 2009 Z4 owner. The idrive update would not be recognized since there is no update option in the menu. I found somewhere in this forum a discussion of the issue and what was concluded is the idrive software we have is not upgrade-able by usb, only ISTA/P. I was able to upgrade my Nav software via usb using a torrent I ordered for free. If you are having trouble with nav updates pm me. Eventually I will try ISTA/P to update idrive but not high priority for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 12:20 PM   #3
Bonnygator
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 Z4 sDrive23i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisT View Post
I am also a new 2009 Z4 owner. The idrive update would not be recognized since there is no update option in the menu. I found somewhere in this forum a discussion of the issue and what was concluded is the idrive software we have is not upgrade-able by usb, only ISTA/P. I was able to upgrade my Nav software via usb using a torrent I ordered for free. If you are having trouble with nav updates pm me. Eventually I will try ISTA/P to update idrive but not high priority for me.
I might have come across the same thread, it said such an update would take 16+ hours and therefore requires some sort of stable external power supply for the car... Seems like a bit of a stretch for something non-essential.

About the Nav maps update, I've done that already, but thanks for your reply!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 04:12 PM   #4
DennisT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 30i

Mainly because I thought I wanted the latest updates for my 2009 Z4 I purchased an ICOM A2+B+C clone and updated the Z4 to a 2018 integration level using ISTA/P 3.65. There is still no iDrive update menu available. There are only subtle differences in the previous 2011 integration level overall that I have noticed so far. Time will tell. At least I have the capability to program and code in order upgrade modules in the future.
I will have to say my ICOM clone worked great despite bad reputation of Chinese manufacturers. The quality of the cables is noteworthy. I did not remove and cases to check the PCBs but the vendor's pics showed good quality and the firmware is the latest (1.40). I opted for an A2 rather than a NEXT because there were issues with MOST (ICOM B) in the past and the A2 had all the capability I needed.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 03:43 AM   #5
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisT View Post
I will have to say my ICOM clone worked great despite bad reputation of Chinese manufacturers. The quality of the cables is noteworthy. I did not remove and cases to check the PCBs but the vendor's pics showed good quality and the firmware is the latest (1.40). I opted for an A2 rather than a NEXT because there were issues with MOST (ICOM B) in the past and the A2 had all the capability I needed.
DennisT can you PM me some info on the ICOM clone please, TIA

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0