New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-26-2019, 03:13 AM   #1
agent47
Rep
Drives:

Help identify Battery, Z4 2009 SDrive23i

Hey guys,

Long term member rejoining the forums having recently acquiring a beautiful 2009 BMW Z4 Model SDrive23i, Quartz Grey.

I'm trying to troubleshoot a few issues with the car and want to start with namely replacing the battery as the vehicle often emits a "Low Battery, Vehicle Discharge" message.

This happens after every night with no electrics, radio, ac etc.. on and I've even had the vehicle battery trickle charged.

Can anyone here identify weather this battery is a standard "wet cell, lead-acid" or "AGM" type.

Also i've noticed that whilst driving my vehicle tends to fluctuate with the voltage read-out from the instrument cluster (hidden bmw menu) usually sits on 14.2V but randomly jumps to 14.9V and dips as low as 13.9V.

The voltage spikes usually occur as im decelerating/coming to a natural stop and randomly the vehicle rev's would increase then go back down to idle running speed 1500rpm.

Could this be a alternator or engine misfire issue?

Please excuse my ignorance as im not overall mechanically minded.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 10:27 AM   #2
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

It says “sulfuric acid” on one of the labels.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 03:05 PM   #3
agent47
Rep
Drives:

Hi Thanks for your prompt reply.

What had me slightly confused is that the Serial Number / Part Number seems to be identical to this following "AGM" marked battery.

S: 61 21 6 917 884
AW: 61 21 6 924 020

Whereas mine doesn't have "AGM" however everything else on the battery labelling seems to be consistent including the "Sulphuric Acid" mention.

I guess i just want to be sure buying the correct battery like-for-like as it would make the battery registration process alot easier.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 05:14 PM   #4
paris1
Captain
Rep

Try Googling the part# and you'll come up with all sorts of references, particularly to Varga (the manufacturer). It even looks like a lead/acid battery to my eye. At any rate, as long as your replacement battery cross-references to that oe part#, you're gold.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 01:45 AM   #5
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

Voltage spike when decelerating and braking may be caused by brake energy regeneration.

BMW's Brake Energy Regeneration operates differently: the generator is activated only when you take your foot from the accelerator or apply the brake. The kinetic energy that would otherwise go to waste is now used efficiently, converted into electricity by the generator and stored in the battery.

I have sometimes that battery message aswell. It starts doing it when battery goes below 50% and car starts to save electricity by switching off some functions. For me its mostly comfort access that is the first to stop.

I have tested my battery and it says its fine. Its just my daily routine that sucks my battery empty. i drive 2km to work, have heated seat and steering wheel on and even lower my roof for that 2 km. It cant regenerate all that usage in 2km. So sometimes i plug my car in with a CTEK charger and have battery back to full, if i take longer trips then its all ok but short trips again and again for extended time do drain it.

Also i had that message appear every morning when i had an old iphone 3g plugged in under the center armrest for extra music library. It had an old battery and was constantly recharching from the car over night and every morning i had a battery discharge message, unplugged it and it was fine.
I dont really take that battery message that seriously it starts at 50% capacity so its not bad. Its like early whining from the car that goes away with driving the car for some time. When you start to lose stored settings like stations, sound, presets for buttons 1-8 etc then its getting worse and you need to do something.

Last edited by KennyP; 05-27-2019 at 01:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 12:04 PM   #6
agent47
Rep
Drives:

Hi guys,

Thanks for your indepth replies its very appreciated.

From what i gather in search that SN/AW number on the battery it would appear more consistent as a reference that its AGM i will go with that theory.

With the car whilst i dont have comfort access i have heard about "brake energy regeneration" and the alternator trying to recharge the battery during those times.

The spikes had me worried more-so because they would coincide with the rev's counter jumping when decelerating and not even applying the gas pedal.

My driving patterns with this vehicle are alot of short runs it really gets driven only on weekends and the battery discharge message hasn't got the car any failed starts yet so perhaps ill just choose to ignore it for the time being and continue topping it upon a CTEK charger.

As a worthwhile preventative measure and troubleshooting tool i have purchased a FOXWELL NT510 BMW scanner and plan only finding out exactly when the battery was last registered as if its still the 1st owner since 2009 i might for the sake of the health of my car decide to replace it.

If not i might need to delve deeper into this voltage drain and what i deem as a noticeable "drop" in performance with the car of late with rather hesitant acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 05:27 PM   #7
paris1
Captain
Rep

If you've got a ten year old battery in that thing, youl'd be crazy not to replace it!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 03:09 PM   #8
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

For information: i read a forum post some time ago saying that BMW original battery is rather well priced at the dealer and no need to go with aftermarket. I have not checked it but if you are buying one then might aswell look at OEM price to compare. Battery also has to be registered with the car. It can be done with a diagnostic cable and a program (INPA?) but i guess thats not that expensive at the dealer. May be included with the battery purchase for no extra cost.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 09:21 AM   #9
agent47
Rep
Drives:

Thanks guys for your reply. I think i will go the BMW OEM route.

I might try using my FOXWELL NT510 as there is a battery replacement/registration option provided the battery swap is within same spec and overall design.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 02:17 PM   #10
Z4EDH
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.5IS

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent47 View Post
Thanks guys for your reply. I think i will go the BMW OEM route.

I might try using my FOXWELL NT510 as there is a battery replacement/registration option provided the battery swap is within same spec and overall design.
I’d go OEM... just make sure they don’t screw you with the charge to "program" the battery.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 05:17 PM   #11
paris1
Captain
Rep

I picked up a Bosch (identical spec) battery @ Pep Boys and had my indie shop install/register it and saved about $100 over dealer price.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 07:39 AM   #12
agent47
Rep
Drives:

Hey guys,

I've plugged in my Foxwell NT510 and this is the current battery registration details which seemingly indicate its never been changed "or at least recordings of it taking place" since 2009.

I was almost convinced this is a AGM battery but seriously don't know anymore.

It says DME: 71AH whereas most batteries registrations of the like would be stored in the ECU should have "AGM" in the description.

Also if i straight swap it out for another battery that commonly come in 70AH (registration, no coding using the following option) will there be a effeciency hit with the charging cycle because of the small discrepancy in the current battery 71AH figures recorded by the DME.

#Register New Battery. Battery Replacement is the same as original.

Happy to purchase dealer OEM battery but ideally like to do the registration myself as they would charge $200.
Attached Images

Last edited by agent47; 06-01-2019 at 07:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 05:44 AM   #13
emapol
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89

I have the same battery, and I'd like to replace with the Varta E39 (70 Ah 760 A AGM).
To have a "simple" registration for the new battery, the original battery is really AGM or not?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 06:14 PM   #14
Morgan2018
Rep
Drives: 335d MSport Shadow Edition

In March 2017 I fitted an E44 VARTA SILVER DYNAMIC BATTERY 77AH in my 2009 e89 with no problems since.
I don't believe this is AGM which is beneficial for stop/start - not a problem for my Z4 which isn't stop/start.
For completeness the new battery was registered using Foxwell equipment, however, Carly can also register batteries.
Appreciate 0