New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

09-05-2018, 04:48 AM   #1
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Need your input on fine tuning for track use

Hi all

As some of you know my wastegate got stuck open during a track session more than half a year ago. I then went full fbo, vtt gc lites and made a build thread about it over on spool street. The build is now almost done, and I have started doing track sessions again. I also have some 6 sets of tires lying around waiting for me to start practising drifting again.

I have encountered one problem where I find it a bit hard to place the car at high speed, and I would love your input on how to amend the issue. I posted about it here.

Link

After making the post I had my alignment checked, and found I was running some toe out up front. Now running the tiniest amount of toe in instead. Not sure if it will help though? All inputs would be highly appreciated.

Last edited by Asbjorn; 09-05-2018 at 04:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 11:29 PM   #2
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep

Alright, I decided to order eibach pro-kit so see how they work with the koni fsd dampers. Hopefully they will reduce some of the floatyness at high speed. I will report back in my spool street build thread next week.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 02:43 AM   #3
jannisa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive35i

Hey mate, long time not seen, congrats on your project, that was beyond my imagination.

Is it possible your instability to be down to soft walled tires? I had that issue when on 18s going from rft to contis non-rfts.

Have a good one

Hamann Anniversary EVO 19'' wheels for sale : http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1270728
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 12:13 AM   #4
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannisa View Post
Hey mate, long time not seen, congrats on your project, that was beyond my imagination.

Is it possible your instability to be down to soft walled tires? I had that issue when on 18s going from rft to contis non-rfts.

Have a good one
Hope all is well Jannisa! Yeah the project suddenly took off, but man it has been time consuming, especially due to lead-time from suppliers and me being in China.

I never used contis, but I remember switching from RFTs to nonRFTs produced a softer feel that was noticeable even at very slow speeds. Obviously the cars oem suspension was also setup for RFTs rather than nonRTFs.

For track fun I started out with AD08R, and now running an even stiffer 07R tire from Zestino. Or at least they felt stiffer when mounting them on the wheels. Planning to try 07RS next.

The delay in steering at high speed seems to correlate with the body roll, which is why I have decided to try stiffer springs. Below 100kmh the car is super responsive, so what this tells me is that the problem is only there when small steering inputs produce larger suspension compression which takes time on soft springs.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 03:18 AM   #5
jannisa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive35i

Makes sense, hopefully you 'll get it spot on with the new springs, good luck m8

Hamann Anniversary EVO 19'' wheels for sale : http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1270728
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 09:58 PM   #6
Vetracr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
Alright, I decided to order eibach pro-kit so see how they work with the koni fsd dampers. Hopefully they will reduce some of the floatyness at high speed. I will report back in my spool street build thread next week.
For the record, FSD dampers are designed to work with stock spring rate. Eibach Pro springs will not be matched to dampers.
Appreciate 0