New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-07-2018, 09:14 AM   #1
Vetracr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW Z4 3.0

Steering and brake pedal feel

The 2010 E89 N52 Sdrive 3.0i 6 speed that I currently own is my first BMW. The suspension has been upgraded to beyond current M3 specs. and the car handles great on the track, very neutral and predictable. I've always tracked Corvettes so the comparison is natural. I have camber plates, run 2+ degrees of negative camber and run 235/18 200 tread wear Falken Azeni tires. I almost forgot to mention all the rubber bushings have been replaced with monoball bearings so there is no suspension deflection. On my Corvettes this set up would produce instant response to steering wheel input. The BMW responds but is much slower to react to inputs. I think its the electric steering rack. It may reduce weight but it kills the road feel BMW was famous for. I'm underwhelmed with the way the car feels. Does anyone know if the E90 M3 rack is faster and has better feel? Also will it fit on the E89?

Another peeve I have is the brake pedal travel. My DD is a Honda Accord. The BMW pedal has to travel twice as far as the Honda's before the brakes start to grab. I power bleed the brakes on the BMW so there is no air in the lines and there is no fade at the track. Its just very disconcerting to have a brake pedal have to travel so far before it starts to work. With the engine off the brake pedal is rock solid. As soon as the engine is turned on and the power brake assist comes into play the pedal travel is extended. Has anyone tried to address this problem with a smaller or different brake booster?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 10:52 PM   #2
ray7792
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 35is

I've driven my brother's e92 m3 many times, The ratio is a bit closer for sure compared to the e89(I assume the n52 and n54 has the same steering rack). The weight and feedback is a lot better as well IMO. No idea if it'll fit e89 though... Think going down to 225 in the front would help with the inputs? Hows the camber wear on the tires at 2+ lol

Yeah the first thing I noticed was the brake travel as well, was not too happy with it.
we swapped out the brake fluid immediately and got all the air out and it definitely helped some. Not as bad as when I got it but still noticeable. Coming from a STI where the brake grab was immediate it took some getting use to.

not very helpful response but I feel you man hahaha good luck!
Appreciate 0