New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing

12-09-2022, 12:39 PM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

NEW laptop recommendations (Windows)

My trusty laptop (i3, 1.7GHz, 3MB, 6GB DDR3, Win 8.1) is sadly nearing death, probably a combo of it being really old and/or ladened w viruses. Anyway, I'm looking for a NEW Windows laptop for under CAD500/USD365. I'm a basic user, use it to stream movies, watch YT, some spreadsheets, no gaming at all. Any suggestions? Like this one, I'd like to keep it for the longest time and am not keen to upgrade for the latest thing every second. I think this one lasted me about 7 years and so I'm pretty good w maxxing out the life of my stuff. TIA.

EDIT: I'm so out-of-touch w what should be the min or std specs nowadays so if you could bring me up to speed, that would be great. My laptop has a 750gig HDD but I assume that it may have been part of the prb since the computer kept getting stuck at 100% disk usage and I assume they use SSDs now to avoid that prb? I also assume that Win10 is the std now? TX again.

EDIT2: I need something w a keyboard, or at least something that lets me hook up a keyboard to it, in addition to something w a hdmi output to let me show movies/shows on my flatscreen.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?

Last edited by tranquility; 12-13-2022 at 10:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 10:36 PM   #2
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
I would avoid Windows at all costs. Your usage case seems like a good candidate for a Chromebook. Have you considered that option?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 10:40 PM   #3
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
I would avoid Windows at all costs. Your usage case seems like a good candidate for a Chromebook. Have you considered that option?
...but Windows is all I know/am familiar & comfortable w...

I dunno anything about it. Can you enlighten me vs Windows?
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 11:27 PM   #4
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/c...oks-vs-windows
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2022, 01:41 AM   #5
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

To be honest, I'd be tempted to upgrade the current one to an SSD, and win 10 or 11. I bet the problem is that the hard drive is broken, hence sitting at 100% usage (that's not the same as 100% full). But then if you have to pay for the win upgrade, that's probably not a great option.

My dad has a Chromebook, and it's fine for him. But I find it super frustrating when I try and use it. It's like android (which I use on my phone and have done for years), but somehow worse.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2022, 03:36 AM   #6
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Honestly adding an SSD (doesn't have to be anything too fancy), a fresh install of Windows 10 and a RAM upgrade (plenty of cheap used RAM on eBay), would do wonders for your current machine. Pop your existing HDD into a USB enclosure for some extra space and easy transfer of files you need to the new SSD.

Also worth considering ex-corporate machines, you can get some fantastic deals on machines with excellent specs that are a few years old and in very good to excellent condition. These will almost certainly be far better than something you can buy new for similar (or more!) money.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2022, 08:37 AM   #7
Frostynorth
Weirdo
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Wouldn't trust that old HDD anymore, backup that data asap.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2022, 11:53 AM   #8
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
This is confusing because you're suggesting Chromebook but the article ends up favoring Win10? LOL. In any event, the idea is good but I dunno if I wanna be restricted in choices so I guess I'm still a Windows fanboy, for better or worse.

As for upgrading to a SSD/ram/Win10, I have no idea how to diy or where to go to have it done (and risk someone snooping around my data), so that's why I just wanna get a new laptop and be done w it.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 02:57 PM   #9
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
This is confusing because you're suggesting Chromebook but the article ends up favoring Win10? LOL.
The article lays out the pros & cons of each. Up to the reader to decide which fits their own personal use case.

One thing I wouldn't do in your shoes is "upgrade" the current turd. That's just throwing good money after bad at this point IMHO. If you want to go Windows and do it on the cheap, lots of options out there for a new rig.
      12-11-2022, 03:09 PM   #10
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Your price quote is very difficult to meet. What did you pay for your current machine?

But, outside of that, this meets your requirements

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/lapto...en)/20lms09n00

But the hard drive is small. But this is the current standard size of startup laptops for people who don't store much locally.

Shawn
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2022, 04:51 PM   #11
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
Your price quote is very difficult to meet. What did you pay for your current machine?

But, outside of that, this meets your requirements

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/lapto...en)/20lms09n00

But the hard drive is small. But this is the current standard size of startup laptops for people who don't store much locally.

Shawn
I think at most CAD4xx and this raises an interesting pt: I thought that electronics were supposed to get *cheaper* as tech progresses? This is insane, but then again there are ppl paying 4-figures for a smartphone. There must be deals to be had for savvy shoppers.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 04:54 PM   #12
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The article lays out the pros & cons of each. Up to the reader to decide which fits their own personal use case.

One thing I wouldn't do in your shoes is "upgrade" the current turd. That's just throwing good money after bad at this point IMHO. If you want to go Windows and do it on the cheap, lots of options out there for a new rig.
Tbh, it's definitely NOT a turd, it lasted me 7 years thereabouts, if the lousy HDD wasn't acting up, who knows how much longer I could've used it for...? It's still working as I type this but I know its days are #ed so I'm just making contingencies.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 05:12 PM   #13
dangerus_car
Banned
Rep
Drives: F30

So 7 years of usage means it’s 5th gen intel. I would upgrade the ssd to 128 or 256gb for less than $100 (probably $50), then that laptop would last you another 5 years.

And your win 8 license can give you free upgrade all the way to windows 11.

I am pretty sure the HD is the performance bottle neck.

If you are a bit handy, you can mention make and model, then i will search youtube for a hdd replacement. Pop the new ssd in, then download win 11 iso, put it in usb and then install windows 11.

Not that difficult but time consuming
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2022, 07:21 PM   #14
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerus_car View Post
So 7 years of usage means it’s 5th gen intel. I would upgrade the ssd to 128 or 256gb for less than $100 (probably $50), then that laptop would last you another 5 years.

And your win 8 license can give you free upgrade all the way to windows 11.

I am pretty sure the HD is the performance bottle neck.

If you are a bit handy, you can mention make and model, then i will search youtube for a hdd replacement. Pop the new ssd in, then download win 11 iso, put it in usb and then install windows 11.

Not that difficult but time consuming
Tx for your offer to help, but I dunno if I'm adept enough for this...I'm afraid I'm gonna open it up wrong and short-circuit something haha. Well, if they have clear step-by-step instructions, maybe. I don't wanna give the impression that I'm all thumbs, I'm competent in other stuff, but computers (hardware and software) make be nervous/irritatable haha.

Just to clarify, I have a 750gig HDD and will require a SSD that is at least as big. Are they the same size generally-speaking so whatever SSD will fit where the HDD used to be? I haven't the slightest clue about these things, unfortunately.

I guess only after I get the SSD should I bother w the Windows upgrade...is that painless to do?

If you still think that you can take this noob under your wing, here goes (tx again):
Acer Aspire E1-572P-6427
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 11:46 PM   #15
Frostynorth
Weirdo
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

In your price range, you won't find one with a 750gb ssd. New.
Maybe refurbished.

Most will be 128-256gb (ish), getting an external usb drive is realistic.

You can easily check newegg Canada, set the parameter under $550. 'Tis the season, there will probably be some ~30% discounted on/around boxing day.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 03:24 AM   #16
dangerus_car
Banned
Rep

1tb ssd will set you back about $70 so it should last you for a while...

the hdd replacement video, looking at this video, if this is indeed your laptop, you don't even have to take out the whole bottom case, just some side, it's super easy, take a look first

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Tx for your offer to help, but I dunno if I'm adept enough for this...I'm afraid I'm gonna open it up wrong and short-circuit something haha. Well, if they have clear step-by-step instructions, maybe. I don't wanna give the impression that I'm all thumbs, I'm competent in other stuff, but computers (hardware and software) make be nervous/irritatable haha.

Just to clarify, I have a 750gig HDD and will require a SSD that is at least as big. Are they the same size generally-speaking so whatever SSD will fit where the HDD used to be? I haven't the slightest clue about these things, unfortunately.

I guess only after I get the SSD should I bother w the Windows upgrade...is that painless to do?

If you still think that you can take this noob under your wing, here goes (tx again):
Acer Aspire E1-572P-6427
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2022, 11:29 AM   #17
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
1tb ssd will set you back about $70 so it should last you for a while...

the hdd replacement video, looking at this video, if this is indeed your laptop, you don't even have to take out the whole bottom case, just some side, it's super easy, take a look first

WOW, first of all, thank you very much for helping and researching for me this option ; yup, that looks like my laptop! The hardware change looks simple enough so that even I can do that. I'm just worried about the software part...to me it's daunting what happens next w a new/empty drive, how does it 'go back to being a working computer'?

$70 USD? sounds awesome, but the poster above said it's much more expensive, so I'm confused. I assume that's $70 NEW, because I don't wanna risk buying refurbished stuff?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 12:00 PM   #18
dangerus_car
Banned
Rep

buy and install the SSD, install windows 11 iso into the usb, put the usb in the laptop, when it prompts to install windows 11, then install it.

windows 11 ISO. select"Create Windows 11 Installation Media
If you want to perform a reinstall or clean install of Windows 11 on a new or used PC, use this option to download the media creation tool to make a bootable USB or DVD."

https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11

you will NOT risk losing any data since you are buying new SSD and putting new one in. if somehow you can not install it, then you can always install the old one back.

once the new one is installed and windows 11 is ready, then you can buy an external SSD case for like $10-20, then slowly move your data from the old HD to new SSD.

again, not hard to do, but time consuming.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2022, 12:20 PM   #19
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
buy and install the SSD, install windows 11 iso into the usb, put the usb in the laptop, when it prompts to install windows 11, then install it.

windows 11 ISO. select"Create Windows 11 Installation Media
If you want to perform a reinstall or clean install of Windows 11 on a new or used PC, use this option to download the media creation tool to make a bootable USB or DVD."

https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11

you will NOT risk losing any data since you are buying new SSD and putting new one in. if somehow you can not install it, then you can always install the old one back.

once the new one is installed and windows 11 is ready, then you can buy an external SSD case for like $10-20, then slowly move your data from the old HD to new SSD.

again, not hard to do, but time consuming.
Tx again, I will need to absorb this since I'm an IT layman/noob.

Ok, so I should do in this order:
1. get suitable USB finger drive and put Win11 into it (I'm coming from Win8.1 and the provided link is from 10--->11, does that matter? How will they accept my Win11 install, do they need some kinda verification that I legit own 8.1? So you suggest I use 11 instead of 10? I'm so lost haha)

2. replace HDD w new SSD

3. start laptop again and put in USB finger drive to install Win11

What is the most efficient way to move all my HDD data to the new SSD? I dunno what is an "external SSD case".

Thank you again.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 07:24 PM   #20
dangerus_car
Banned
Rep

a good SSD SATA to buy, 1 TB for $70, 2TB for $135

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078211KBB/

external SATA case. after all your data is migrated, then you can use the old HDD as your data storage, you can do that by formatting it to empty it

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Tool-.../dp/B00OJ3UJ2S

for win 11 iso install, you need at least 8GB of USB. win 8 can get free upgrade to 11, and since your laptop is a newer laptop, you don't need windows CD key, it's all built in, so you will get upgraded with no problem.

the most efficient way to move your hdd data is by using an external HDD case, you can buy external 2.5" SATA case.

the best way to move your data is prior of you installing your new SSD, move every data you have to a new folder in that old HDD (for example, you can name the folder backup december 2022). remember where you put it (best to put it in C: root)

then after you install new SSD, by using the external SATA case, you explore the root HDD, D: or E:, depending on how the win 11 assign the drive letter

then you will find your backup folder (backup december 2022), then copy everything in that folder to your SSD.

that's the simplest way to move your data
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2022, 08:13 PM   #21
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
a good SSD SATA to buy, 1 TB for $70, 2TB for $135

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078211KBB/

external SATA case. after all your data is migrated, then you can use the old HDD as your data storage, you can do that by formatting it to empty it

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Tool-.../dp/B00OJ3UJ2S

for win 11 iso install, you need at least 8GB of USB. win 8 can get free upgrade to 11, and since your laptop is a newer laptop, you don't need windows CD key, it's all built in, so you will get upgraded with no problem.

the most efficient way to move your hdd data is by using an external HDD case, you can buy external 2.5" SATA case.

the best way to move your data is prior of you installing your new SSD, move every data you have to a new folder in that old HDD (for example, you can name the folder backup december 2022). remember where you put it (best to put it in C: root)

then after you install new SSD, by using the external SATA case, you explore the root HDD, D: or E:, depending on how the win 11 assign the drive letter

then you will find your backup folder (backup december 2022), then copy everything in that folder to your SSD.

that's the simplest way to move your data
This is amazing stuff, thank you very much! I now definitely need to do some research w your advice in hand. It'll be awesome if I can actually do this because my philosophy is to use everything until it is no longer practical as I don't believe in throwing out perfectly good stuff just to get the latest gadget, so your input is very much appreciated!

Part of me wants to postpone this because my computer is still chugging along, but I assume your advice is to have this done asap lest my HDD craps out on me and I'm left stranded?

Silly question, but re the Window upgrade, MS automatically knows I'm qualified for a free upgrade just by me owning my laptop running Win8.1 and even w a new drive they will detect this and I can readily install Win11 w/o doing any technical stuff?

Since you know what you're talking about, should I just use their Windows Defender once Win11 is set up or install a 3rd party anti-virus (I'm only looking for free ones)? Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 10:06 PM   #22
dangerus_car
Banned
Rep

you can do this anytime you want, but since now it's holiday season, a lot of sale are going on, like the SSD i link to you, it's on sale and cheap.

as i said before, your 8.1 cd key is most likely stored inside the BIOS, so when installing windows 11, it will not ask you for a new key. again, you have nothing to lose, since you are installing windows 11 on a NEW SSD, not your HDD, so if things don't work out or you are afraid, you can always put back your old HDD and things will work again as normal, so this experience will only cost you $ to buy new SSD, it will not cost you data loss.

with or without anti virus, virus infected depends on what you do. if you like to browse illegal stuff, most likely you will get virus.

as long as you practice safe browsing (like safe sex, same same), you will not get infected by virus (computer virus or sex virus, lol)

safe browsing meaning

1. do not open any link or attachment from any senders you do not know
2. do not go to any website that you don't know that comes from pop up
Appreciate 1