New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z2 Forums > General BMW Z2 Forum

04-23-2009, 07:08 PM   #1
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Project -i Herausforderndes Coventional Denken (Defying Conventional thinking)

Project -i Herausforderndes Coventional Denken (Defying Conventional thinking)
: BMW Vision Z.

Based on next generation 1er platform
It is the compact segment that will experience high growth and by basing the car upon the next 1er platform costs can be measured across the base that is why the next 1er will offer more expansion in the premium compact segment and offer variants using Mild Hybrid , Full Hybrid , diesel and petrol to fulfill the customers requirements.
BMW need something like a hybrid roadster or coupe in this segment to show a complete 180 approach from the conventional choices customers are faced with regarding hybrids. They aresmall compact and conventional , overall they have and fullfill a purpose but the design or concept says nothing else but sensible. Offering a unconventional Sports car in place of a typical compact hybrid will allow BMW to promote an enticing new medium of what a hybrid can be when removed from the original question.
BMW are wanting to use the next 1er to expand it's range of small premium cars , BMW reckon there is demand for a small , substantial powered small sports car and also something unconventional is required for eco lifestyles , rather than conventional cars that are only about one purpose. The car will retain the typical BMW platform and drive train for front engine and rear wheel drive. The new 1er Platform is flexible to allow modular changes and switch from either front-rear drive or front or rear mounted engines. Maximum use of the 1er platform for the Z2 will relate to both a small Roadster and a Coupe.

Lightweight , dynamic and sporty
Using a high strength steel body ,door skins and front bonnet are aluminium , front wings and bootlid are composite materials.
Propshaft and Engine block manufacturerd from Magnesium.
Target weight for both Coupe and Roadster is 1000KG.

High efficient four cylinders engines
BMW will only offer the Z2 as a four cylinder , no six cylinder engine will be available to keep the car from entering the Z4's segment.
The base engine will be a 1.6 litre engine with twin turbo charging and direct injection , PS output will be in the region of 145-150 PS.
A second engine again a Twin-Turbo four cylinder unit will push out 200-204 PS , a 2.0 four cylinder Twin Turbo will top the range this engine will push out 240-250 PS , An M model is not considered , although a supersports model is certainly a possibility.

BMW eDrive full electric powered roadster
In it's quest to offer customers uncoventional choices to the growing popularity of hybrid concepts. BMW Has developed it's new roadster and Coupe to be fully compatible under it's "Project-i" strategy. BMW will offer a plug in Hybrid with a range extended engine for charging energy cells when the car is in motion. And a full electric version as seen in the first fruit of Project -i The MINI E.

Compact Soft-Top
With the latest Z4 receiving a folding hardtop. The roof of the BMW Z2 will remain as a conventional easy folding soft-top. No electric powered hood will be offered due to the easy fold and secure function of the Z2. The roof section folds in slats with rear window section folding flat and roof concertinaing into the hood compartment.
This allows for more trunk space. And expands the cars lightweight intentions.

BMW Active aerodynamics
GINA always had an intention even though the concept was ahead of it's time , Certain use of innovations learned from GINA are slowly filtering through to todays production cars - With several BMW models offering as part of technology developed for "Efficient Dynamics" opening and closing intakes in the grille slats. This provides optimised airflow and assists with Efficiency. As learned from the GINA The Z2 will feature front Movable front spoiler to provide extra down force and opening and closing intakes and Grille slats to provide cooling for the engine or battery.

BMW LED lighting Technology .
The Z2 Will feature the first phase in BMW's upcoming Intelligent LED technology. The front end appearance of the car is identified in a way that is similar to BMW's interior technology in which instruments are illuminted using a unique black panel technology.
The front of the Z2 with Intelligent LED technology is similar , all you see is the uniquely shaped kidney grille and larger driving lights, when the lights are activted the interpretation of the BMW double headlamps are fully illuminated.
The driving lamps feature is similar to the Rolls-Royce Phantom , but new technology being considered is a Zoom like feature that can focus on objects after being identified by either night vision or camera.

Coupe model as additional variant
To make maximum use of the 1er Platform, The Z2 will also introduce a compact Coupe model , again featuring the same tech as the Roadster including four cylinder engines and Hybrid and Electric models. BMW intend to make the Coupe a very sporty "back to basics performance model for two, again a SuperSports model is considered in place of an M model , with the option of a conventional roof , BMW can consider additional materials such as Carbon Fibre for the roof.

BMW Efficient Dynamics
Both models will feature the latest in BMW Efficient Dynamics technology such as Brake Energy Regeneration , highly efficient petrol engines with the base model offering up to 50-60 Mpg.
Stop-Start will also feature as well as a new transmission that is developed from technolgy from BMW's motorrad division as a unique Z2 feature.

Production
Shown as a Concept first , BMW Z2 arrives mid 2013, BMW Z2 Coupe late 2013.

Why the Spanish Translation? This Idea was born in Spain.

Last edited by SCOTT26; 04-23-2009 at 07:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 07:53 PM   #2
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
If even half of this becomes a reality I will be a happy man!! Sounds like an enthusiasts dream car... the headlights seem very innoative if I am reading the description correctly. Bring on 2013 already!!
      04-23-2009, 08:36 PM   #3
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
sounds amazing loving the hybrid, electric talk

edit: if this is really 2200 lbs then it will be a rocket
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 09:54 PM   #4
GreenPlease
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e92

Dear BMW,

Please make this car a reality as described in the above post. It sounds awesome. Actually, it sounds perfect. At the very least, give us the twin turboed I4s and the "zoom" headlamps. Thank you.

BMW fan for life

GreenPlease
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 10:51 PM   #5
samuraisaiyo
First Lieutenant
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 318i E36

Oh GreenPlease
      04-24-2009, 06:29 AM   #6
Daveop
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 BMWs

It sounds like BMW is trying to move into a solid enthusiast niche that was vacated by the S2000 and where theres room to take a hefty chunk of the now old miata sales. BMW would surely have a hit on its hands assuming the economics of the car can work out on BMWs end
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 06:32 AM   #7
135Eye
Accountants have fun 2!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Silber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO View Post
It sounds like BMW is trying to move into a solid enthusiast niche that was vacated by the S2000 and where theres room to take a hefty chunk of the now old miata sales. BMW would surely have a hit on its hands assuming the economics of the car can work out on BMWs end
Thats the question. Where is BMW going to price this car.... the Z4 is just way to expensive for what it is!

If BMW made the Z2 priced the car in the mid 20s to start with and topping out at the high 30s I dont see why they wouldnt sell a boat load of these things. Im scared that they will have this car start in the mid to high 30s which is way too much for any car with a turbo 4 cylinder IMO
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 06:38 AM   #8
bigb135i
Rep
Drives:

Am I correct to assume this is a softtop roadster? I do like how the Z4 hardtop looks when its folded up
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 06:39 AM   #9
bigb135i
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
sounds amazing loving the hybrid, electric talk

edit: if this is really 2200 lbs then it will be a rocket
Will there be an electric hybrid motor? I didnt read that, but maybee you are talking about a different component of the car?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 06:59 AM   #10
Bols
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F36 AW 6MT

The headlight design makes me so interested in this project !!

Hope they don't screw it up tho

Bring this car out already
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 07:14 AM   #11
deshields
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009M3

Wow

Here are the facts I was able to tweeze out ==>
  • Roadster and Coupe variants
  • 1.6l and 2.0l turbo 4 cylinder engine ranging from 145HP - 250HP. Plug in electric version as well similar to the Mini E
  • Rear Wheel Drive
  • Brake regenerative energy use (KERS)
  • Start stop energy conservation
  • Light weight: Steel body with heavy use of aluminum for the outer shell. Composite materials for the front and rear bumpers. Magnesium engine and propshaft
  • Fully manual soft top, no electric motors at all. Very spartan!
  • Motorized grill slats and front bumper lips to optimize aerodynamics depending on engine heat and vehicle speed
  • Full LED front headlights which will rest on a base that is transparent to the cars body so the headlights wont actually be very visible when the lights are off. But the traditional BMW headlight design appears when the lights are turned on at night. So no halogen headlamp unit like we have on cars today. There will be two rounded foglamps on the front similar to what is on the Rolls Royce Phantom so the car wont look totally headlight less during the day.
  • No ///M version
  • Arrives in 2013

I drooled all over my keyboard typing this
      04-24-2009, 07:53 AM   #12
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb135i View Post
Will there be an electric hybrid motor? I didnt read that, but maybee you are talking about a different component of the car?
yup based on the mini e http://www.miniusa.com/minie-usa/

-antz
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 07:54 AM   #13
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Eye View Post
Thats the question. Where is BMW going to price this car.... the Z4 is just way to expensive for what it is!

If BMW made the Z2 priced the car in the mid 20s to start with and topping out at the high 30s I dont see why they wouldnt sell a boat load of these things. Im scared that they will have this car start in the mid to high 30s which is way too much for any car with a turbo 4 cylinder IMO
the z4 is not way to(o) expensive, it is one of the best looking BMWs to date. It will sell.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 06:26 PM   #14
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

gimme 250hp and 2200 lb and it will be the best drivers car for many many years to come..
Getting to 2200lb will be tough, but if BMW will deliver, it will be instant classic car.. The handling and acceleration on that car (coupe) would be something to behold...
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2009, 12:12 AM   #15
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

wow, if they make it 2200lbs I'd put a deposit down
      04-26-2009, 04:44 PM   #16
dannyd86
Private
Colombia
Rep
Drives: '09 335i e92 ZMP

Wow, this would be amazing! I can't even imagine how good this will perform weighing 2,200 lbs... I wonder how that I-4 is going to be setup, and how it will look.. Imagine it after some aftermarket tuning..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2009, 11:14 PM   #17
Corsis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi coupe, 98 ///M3

2013 is so far away. Good thing is get to save up, bad is... i want it now.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 10:22 AM   #18
hector
Captain
Rep
Drives: e46 330ci, e92 335i, 2008 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdmaxx View Post
gimme 250hp and 2200 lb and it will be the best drivers car for many many years to come..
Getting to 2200lb will be tough, but if BMW will deliver, it will be instant classic car.. The handling and acceleration on that car (coupe) would be something to behold...
if as stated they're shooting for 2200lbs. i assume that that would be for the base model w/ 1.6ltrs, smaller wheels/tires etc. if they achieve that then perhaps a couple hundred more for the top model is possible. that would still be a rocket but the 1.6ltr. at 2200lbs would be no slouch; in fact it would have power and torque to weight ratios at least as good as my 128.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 02:31 PM   #19
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Looks like our requests are making headway. The Z2 will be my next BMW. I am still hoping for the 272 hp variant of the turbo 4. I will wait for the ZMP/tii version.
Appreciate 0