New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-20-2023, 06:04 PM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Ruined shock absorber/dampers?

I'm guessing I hit some stupid pothole and now I hear some grinding noises when the car is in motion. I checked tire pressure, lugbolts, nothing seems to be obstructing, etc, and my front-left wheel gap seems to be smaller than the front-right, so that's my assumption: is this correct?

If so, I guess I need to replace both front struts/shocks? and wonder if it's safe to drive some distance to my chosen mechanic? How much do you think it should cost? I'm just driving on the streets and no tracking. Tx.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 08:06 PM   #2
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

Could be. Could also be a bent control arm or bent/broken strut mount. There's really no way to know for sure without an inspection but in the mean time I'd recommend not driving it in case a bent part completely breaks and you lose control.
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2023, 09:17 PM   #3
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
Could be. Could also be a bent control arm or bent/broken strut mount. There's really no way to know for sure without an inspection but in the mean time I'd recommend not driving it in case a bent part completely breaks and you lose control.
Aw crap, I eyeballed it and doesn't seem like a control arm but I'm no expert.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 03:02 AM   #4
B21
Captain
Rep
Drives: E89 Atacama Yellow 35is

Could well be a broken spring…IMHO as long as you drive direct at modest speeds it should be ok..

Figure on around €100 per spring and €200 per damper…probably best with OE or Supplex springs and Bilstein dampers..imho
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2023, 09:21 AM   #5
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B21 View Post
Could well be a broken spring…IMHO as long as you drive direct at modest speeds it should be ok..

Figure on around €100 per spring and €200 per damper…probably best with OE or Supplex springs and Bilstein dampers..imho
I hope you're right, cuz I was looking back at my bills and when I changed my front shocks...struts? it was CAD1,700.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 02:05 PM   #6
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Ok, I discovered that my spring broke in the front-left area and also damaged my tire. Surprisingly, this spring part is supposedly proprietary to BMW and the local mechanic couldn't order it, can anyone please verify this, as I'm quite confused...alternatively, if true, could I just circumvent this by ordering two (2) aftermarket springs instead? Someone mentioned other brands, but if you guys have any suggestions, I'm all ears as I'm clueless about this kinda stuff.

TIA!
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 04:15 PM   #7
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

Either 31336785081 or 31336785082 should be a partnumber.

These should be for 35i with adaptive suspension. Though why is there 2 different spring options i dont know. there are also partnumbers for other model like 30i and for regular suspension.
Partnumber ending with 082 is according to fcpeuro for z4 35is and doesnt mention 35i..
European carparts site Autodoc shows 082 to fit both 35i and 35is...
081 partnumber Autodoc shows to fit only 35i.

Not much info out there to be honest...
i did throw these partnumbers to a local to me bmw dealer partsearcher that they have on their website and both partnumber did bring a part up and i was able to push a button to order them... both had a listed price of 134 eur(maybe + vat,maybe vat included,,, dont really know.)
Maybe consult your local dealer?
From aftermarket suppliers you could get springs alot cheaper of course.
Also maybe consider lowering spring kits from H&R or Eibach. But if you drive your car in the winter (i think i remember you said somewhere you did) then you may not want to lower your car.

Also when my struts leaked... one reason why i went with a coilover kit was the fact i was getting new springs aswell. My brother broke a spring on his e90 3series years before. Also on a ruffer city street with potholes. So i knew they can break.

Actually i think i have my oem front springs still in storage. I threw only leaking front shocks away.. everything else i took off the car should still be in the box coilovers came in. But im a bit far away for shipping them to you to be worth it. Import tax+ shipping and all that.
Maybe someone closer to you who went to coilovers has their original springs still lying somewhere.
      06-21-2023, 07:43 PM   #8
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
Either 31336785081 or 31336785082 should be a partnumber.

These should be for 35i with adaptive suspension. Though why is there 2 different spring options i dont know. there are also partnumbers for other model like 30i and for regular suspension.
Partnumber ending with 082 is according to fcpeuro for z4 35is and doesnt mention 35i..
European carparts site Autodoc shows 082 to fit both 35i and 35is...
081 partnumber Autodoc shows to fit only 35i.

Not much info out there to be honest...
i did throw these partnumbers to a local to me bmw dealer partsearcher that they have on their website and both partnumber did bring a part up and i was able to push a button to order them... both had a listed price of 134 eur(maybe + vat,maybe vat included,,, dont really know.)
Maybe consult your local dealer?
From aftermarket suppliers you could get springs alot cheaper of course.
Also maybe consider lowering spring kits from H&R or Eibach. But if you drive your car in the winter (i think i remember you said somewhere you did) then you may not want to lower your car.

Also when my struts leaked... one reason why i went with a coilover kit was the fact i was getting new springs aswell. My brother broke a spring on his e90 3series years before. Also on a ruffer city street with potholes. So i knew they can break.

Actually i think i have my oem front springs still in storage. I threw only leaking front shocks away.. everything else i took off the car should still be in the box coilovers came in. But im a bit far away for shipping them to you to be worth it. Import tax+ shipping and all that.
Maybe someone closer to you who went to coilovers has their original springs still lying somewhere.
Tx Kenny and everyone else, appreciate you thinking of shipping them to me. Sigh, I've been running into some bad luck lately, this job (2 springs and 1 tire) is gonna cost be CAD1,400...I thought that it wasn't gonna be anywhere near when I had my front shocks replaced because it's just 1 lousy spring, but, man! This doesn't really make sense to me....how could that be? Ok, subtract the CAD250 for the tire, so that makes it CAD1,150 for 2 springs? Maybe I'm mistaken when they replaced my front shocks they just reused my springs? I dunno.

Anyway, I'm feverishly asking from quotes from the dealer and indys as I'm pretty much restricted to driving on local roads (the tech removed the broken spring and said as long as I drive carefully, it should be alright). What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 02:20 AM   #9
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep

i dont know what the labour hourly rate is in Canada but these prices seem excessive to me.

Its basically 2 springs, 2hours of work to fit and wheel alignment after that.

So here in a local shop even if i get springs from dealer... 134x2 for springs + labour 40x2+ alignment 50-60eur... its 408eur... in CAD its just below 600.
And i could cut springs price in half by ordering them from Autodoc for example....
      06-22-2023, 02:29 AM   #10
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep

iF you want i can send you my oem springs... I could do it on monday.
Its summer solstice holidays here this weekend so most businesses are closed but on monday im back at work where i could package them up easily enough and call for a courier to pick them up. And you could pay me for the shipping through Paypal later.
      06-22-2023, 09:20 AM   #11
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
iF you want i can send you my oem springs... I could do it on monday.
Its summer solstice holidays here this weekend so most businesses are closed but on monday im back at work where i could package them up easily enough and call for a courier to pick them up. And you could pay me for the shipping through Paypal later.
Wow, you're too nice! I don't wanna trouble anyone, I hope to figure it out by myself, but thank you again for the offer. The fact you could do this for a practical stranger shows you're a great person I really appreciate it.🙏

EDIT:
Oh, yes, the quote seems crazy expensive esp when that's from the Indy I usually go to, so I'm gonna faint when I get the one from the dealer haha. The whole frustrating thing is that another Indy closest to me somehow cannot source the springs but ofc it's possible since that Indy gave me a quote. So confusing why he can't seem to get them...
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 03:42 PM   #12
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Ok, I went back to the original mechanic and what he said kinda threw me for a loop and I'm seeking your help cuz I dunno what's going on.

When I first came in, he identified the prb being a broken spring at the front-left corner, so he nicely took it off and I'm just driving gingerly not really using the car until it can get fixed. At first, I thought he wasn't able to source the replacement springs so I was getting quotes elsewhere. Today, I spoke with him again and apparently he said that he *could* get the springs, just that
*he wants me to have my car's rack and pinion steering checked first at the BMW dealer as it could be a more serious prb*,

so now I'm scratching my head and thinking wth....1,300$ may not be enough?? Have you guys heard of any broken spring occurrences and what was the cause? Could this be that more crazy prb re the whole steering system or what's more likely?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 02:46 PM   #13
B21
Captain
Rep

Broken springs on E89s are very very common…unfortunately BMWs service directives states that both springs should be replaced…actually given they sag over time not bad advice…

Checking steering rack is mandated if there is accident / structural damage to any of the steering / suspension parts excluding dampers and springs..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 03:43 PM   #14
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B21 View Post
Broken springs on E89s are very very common…unfortunately BMWs service directives states that both springs should be replaced…actually given they sag over time not bad advice…

Checking steering rack is mandated if there is accident / structural damage to any of the steering / suspension parts excluding dampers and springs..
Hey, thanks very much for the info/assurances. Ya, I obviously didn't get into any accident (knock wood) and just hit some stupid potholes accumulated over time, and I agree it makes sense for both front springs to be replaced. The dealer actually told me they advise springs should be replaced every 4 years/100,000kms? Huh?

When I had my front shocks replaced years ago, I assume that it did NOT include replacing the springs?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 04:34 PM   #15
B21
Captain
Rep

Normally dampers and springs when broken are treated as separate issues…

Obviously when a car has wracked up miles then a preemptive swapping of springs and dampers together makes sense..

I’m not aware of any BMW service directive for routine replacement of suspension parts…AFAIK it’s on condition..
Appreciate 0