New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-31-2021, 10:38 AM   #1
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Best place/website to sell a used car?

Quick question. My buddy sort of "inherited" a Ford Expedition from his in-laws that he want's to sell.

I know used cars are sort of nutty at the moment, so he's looking into ways to sell with minimal effort.

I've heard of Carvana, but don't know of any others.

Suggestions?

TIA--

R.
      07-31-2021, 11:48 AM   #2
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

I would try both carvana and carmax and get the quote online for the value of your car. If he accepts the price then he can just get rid of it quickly to one of them. Private party sale will get you more, but you'll be going through more of a hassle with people and posting ads online.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 02:38 PM   #3
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

I see a lot of vehicles on Craigslist and FaceBook marketplace. AutoTrader is also still very active. Might be something local to him that is best, in some areas CL is weak, for example.

I agree about Carvana and Carmax, maybe Vroom also does that. Lower price but no hassle. Used cars are in high demand right now so he should do some research (Kbb.com and edmunds.com are good places to start).

Also consider calling the local Ford dealers and asking if they’d be interested in buying it. But once again, he should know what he wants and why before making that call.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 02:59 PM   #4
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I recently sold my 2020 Toyota for more than I paid for a it almost 1.5 years ago. I got quotes from Carvana and Vroom these are the easiest as its all online. Then I took it to Carmax and Wepaythemax (not sure if they have those everywhere). Vroom was the highest by about $1000. They were slow and communication was horrible, but they did honor the quote and come pick up the car.

I would get a quote from ATLEAST carvana and vroom to give you a starting point although those would be the lest hassle as its all online and they come pickup the car, though Vroom might be very slow. Once you have that you can try local places like Carmax or local dealers. Then if he wants more he can try listing on FB, craigslist etc but that's the most hassle.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 05:57 PM   #5
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3CX

I had a 2011 Mazda 3 before I bought the M340i, and kept the car thinking I would still need it. Wrong. Drove it once since October 2019, Sold it to Carvana on Tuesday. Easy Peasy. Guy shows up, checks the odometer and starts the car. Provided it runs and ODO are correct, he hands you a check and off the car goes.
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2021, 06:15 PM   #6
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Can't really vouch for the online car buyers. I have a local dealer that I've sold two vehicles to. Very fair, got what I wanted. Check the next day
Appreciate 0