New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

01-30-2021, 07:13 AM   #2817
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post

Convert it into muscles. Don't worry, huge muscles aren't easy to build, mind your diet here. Basically, more repetitions, less burden reduce the volume, provide "definition". The most basic exercises for upper back/body are pull ups and push ups. (The latter take no equipment and can be done anywhere anytime!) There are easy versions of both exercises as well, if you like.
The only two exercises I can't do. Two plastic surgeons have told me not to. I can't do anything that "stresses" the pectoral muscle or would cause it to contract repeatedly. I know, I did it to myself, but I've got two large foreign objects shoved up in there and the placement and specifically how one healed, I don't want to risk needing a second surgery in the near future.

I can lift dumbbells. So I take 15 lbs and do as many reps as I can with those. I also really like back extensions, but I'm not sure if they are actually doing anything. I do those with and without holding a 15 lb weight to my chest with my arms crossed.

Last edited by Sara; 01-30-2021 at 07:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 12:28 PM   #2818
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Nice hike in the woods today, felt really good. Skipped the pool. I needed a change in routine, the skin needed a break from chlorine and the humerus-scapula joint is stiff and sore.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 08:28 PM   #2819
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
The only two exercises I can't do. Two plastic surgeons have told me not to. I can't do anything that "stresses" the pectoral muscle or would cause it to contract repeatedly. I know, I did it to myself, but I've got two large foreign objects shoved up in there and the placement and specifically how one healed, I don't want to risk needing a second surgery in the near future.

I can lift dumbbells. So I take 15 lbs and do as many reps as I can with those. I also really like back extensions, but I'm not sure if they are actually doing anything. I do those with and without holding a 15 lb weight to my chest with my arms crossed.
With plastic surgery involved you can get rid of any flesh you have no use for! Now seriously.

Back extensions. I really liked them too as they made me feel quite better. But when I happened to have overdone them (also letting my abs "go") I got a severe (well, catastrophic ) permanent back/neck strain resulting in all kinds of stresses including nervousness. Take care!

What you need to work on for your (outside) upper back are lats and rear deltoids, I guess. Back extensions do little to the former and nothing to the latter. They mostly develop long back muscles along the spine.

There are dumbbell exercises for the upper back! Pulls up for the lats and arm raises (sideward, backward) for the rear deltoids are what I do. These are done bent down and here's where you'll need your long back muscles developed with back extensions. When I started those exercises with weak long back muscles I got my lower spine permanently deformed. So take care again (well, every time ) and consider one arm versions of the exercises (the other arm is used to rest on something to protect the spine) as safer ones.
Appreciate 2
Sara5775.50
      01-31-2021, 06:09 AM   #2820
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
With plastic surgery involved you can get rid of any flesh you have no use for! Now seriously.

Back extensions. I really liked them too as they made me feel quite better. But when I happened to have overdone them (also letting my abs "go") I got a severe (well, catastrophic ) permanent back/neck strain resulting in all kinds of stresses including nervousness. Take care!

What you need to work on for your (outside) upper back are lats and rear deltoids, I guess. Back extensions do little to the former and nothing to the latter. They mostly develop long back muscles along the spine.

There are dumbbell exercises for the upper back! Pulls up for the lats and arm raises (sideward, backward) for the rear deltoids are what I do. These are done bent down and here's where you'll need your long back muscles developed with back extensions. When I started those exercises with weak long back muscles I got my lower spine permanently deformed. So take care again (well, every time ) and consider one arm versions of the exercises (the other arm is used to rest on something to protect the spine) as safer ones.
Thank you so much!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 06:33 AM   #2821
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Been dealing with a very tight upper back for almost a year now. Have to constantly roll it out every morning at the gym. Still trying to pinpoint the cause. I feel like I could further improve my posture. Hard to remain focused on keeping my shoulders back all damn day, but I've been doing my best. The tension in my upper back is definitely relieved when squeezing my shoulder blades together. I am at my desk majority of the day which is probably why they feel so tight.
Correct posture seems to be about balance. Keeping the body properly aligned helps to eliminate extra efforts that build the strain. But extra efforts must not be confused with necessary ones: ultimate relaxing builds stress just as well.

To test your posture balance you might wish to use a simple spin jump (like the preliminary exercise here, without any stance, from a simple front standing): can you land back on your feet comfortably? Start with a 90 degrees turn and proceed to 360 (90, 180, 270, 360).

With a back strain it's worth it to look at your abdominals. Opposite muscles should be developed in balance as well. It's not how good your abs are, it's how good they are for your back: if your back is overdone even good abs can be not enough to maintain the correct posture.

And, of course, stretching should not be overlooked either.

Quote:
On a side note, does anyone else get minorly frustrated when you've seen others in the gym for well over a year now, but they are not making any progress? Not like I know or even talk to them, but I don't understand why they are wasting their time rather then committing to improvement. I mean half the battle is already being accomplished when they are at the gym, so what are they doing at home to prevent themselves from moving forward!?!? Anyways rant over lol, my frustration is for a good cause, but nothing will benefit from it. I don't have the gall to actually tell someone that to their face lol.
What's your concern about others? Do you guide them towards the progress they fail to achieve? Charging money? Achieving progress takes both determination and correct application. That is, they train either not hard enough or ineffectively. Or both. If you think just being at the gym counts look at them again.

Quote:
Anyone have any advice on how to reduce "back fat."
Convert it into muscles. Don't worry, huge muscles aren't easy to build, mind your diet here. Basically, more repetitions, less burden reduce the volume, provide "definition". The most basic exercises for upper back/body are pull ups and push ups. (The latter take no equipment and can be done anywhere anytime!) There are easy versions of both exercises as well, if you like.
Might be cause I'm half asleep, but I don't see how doing a kick is going to tell me about my posture. Though I didn't watch the whole video so maybe I will after I wake up a little more lol. I'm fairly developed thus I don't think my core is lacking and causing strain on my back. Starting to think the pain is from my back being overdeveloped... who's know lol. A chiropractor probably would, but I'm stubborn and won't go to one.

Hm what's my concern for others... I'm not sure, when I start going to a new gym and seeing new people I internally root for them to succeed and improve. I think I honestly enjoy seeing progression thus when I don't it's frustrating because I know that each person can change if they are willing to. Similar to how you would like to see a friend excel in their career, and you might be frustrated if they flounder when you know they could do better. Is that wrong of me? I don't think so, and wouldn't care if it was lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 07:35 AM   #2822
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Might be cause I'm half asleep, but I don't see how doing a kick is going to tell me about my posture.
Not a kick, the simple(?) exercise of jumping up and turning around in the air. The video depicts a preliminary exercise of the kind, just to visualize it. If your posture is wrong you'll be losing balance doing even less than a full turn around. If you can do this exercise your posture isn't really bad, I'd guess.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 08:46 AM   #2823
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not a kick, the simple(?) exercise of jumping up and turning around in the air. The video depicts a preliminary exercise of the kind, just to visualize it. If your posture is wrong you'll be losing balance doing even less than a full turn around. If you can do this exercise your posture isn't really bad, I'd guess.
Haha I'll have to give it a try later today. I'll have the fiance hold something and report back lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 12:26 PM   #2824
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

How long are your typical bulk and cut cycles? I started my bulk phase in October. Each week I slowly increased my calories 100 cal/day each week, until I got to my bulking caloric intake, roughly 2900. I'm getting to where I'm ready to start my cut and just curious how long you guys typically bulk for.

Also, aside from upping my protein, any tips/help you guys can offer are always appreciated. I plan to subtract my cutting calories from my bulk calories then divide by 4 weeks. This way I can slowly ween myself down versus going from 2900 to 1800 overnight.

Stoked to see what's underneath the fluff now.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 12:35 PM   #2825
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
How long are your typical bulk and cut cycles? I started my bulk phase in October. Each week I slowly increased my calories 100 cal/day each week, until I got to my bulking caloric intake, roughly 2900. I'm getting to where I'm ready to start my cut and just curious how long you guys typically bulk for.

Also, aside from upping my protein, any tips/help you guys can offer are always appreciated. I plan to subtract my cutting calories from my bulk calories then divide by 4 weeks. This way I can slowly ween myself down versus going from 2900 to 1800 overnight.

Stoked to see what's underneath the fluff now.
2-3months is my typical bulk/cut cycle. You have the right idea not to quickly transition from a bulk to a cut and rather to slowly move towards it. I think roughly 250calories/week decrease until you're at your target calorie intake is perfect. My only tip/trick I can offer is to listen to your body. If you drastically up cardio and feel lack luster in there make sure you are getting enough carbs - depending on how well you did on your bulk you may see the weight coming off much quicker then expected. That is all fine, but if I see that happening I try to slow it down - this would mean to slow your rate of calorie reduction to a point where weight reduction is consistent.

Long story short, slow transition periods are much better then rapid. The point of a proper cut is to maintain the muscle that you've put on through your bulk. This means if you attack the cut too hard you will lose your gains.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      02-01-2021, 12:45 PM   #2826
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
2-3months is my typical bulk/cut cycle. You have the right idea not to quickly transition from a bulk to a cut and rather to slowly move towards it. I think roughly 250calories/week decrease until you're at your target calorie intake is perfect. My only tip/trick I can offer is to listen to your body. If you drastically up cardio and feel lack luster in there make sure you are getting enough carbs - depending on how well you did on your bulk you may see the weight coming off much quicker then expected. That is all fine, but if I see that happening I try to slow it down - this would mean to slow your rate of calorie reduction to a point where weight reduction is consistent.

Long story short, slow transition periods are much better then rapid. The point of a proper cut is to maintain the muscle that you've put on through your bulk. This means if you attack the cut too hard you will lose your gains.
Thank you sir! I learned the slow approach last spring....the hard way. I was comfortable with the mass I put on during my bulk, but didn't approach my cut in the same manner that I approached my bulk, slowly. I lost a good part of my gains last year. I'm still relatively new to all this, but learning from mistakes. I'm going to try to not do much (read as "if any") cardio. I'm way too comfortable with it. I can spend 45-1 hour doing cardio and not bat an eye. My problem last transition was that I wanted to drop the fluff so quickly, I went way too aggressive.

I consider this entire experience as my human body science experiment. I learn and adapt with each phase. Looking forward to seeing what I look like come summer.
Appreciate 1
JP102462.00
      02-01-2021, 01:05 PM   #2827
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
Thank you sir! I learned the slow approach last spring....the hard way. I was comfortable with the mass I put on during my bulk, but didn't approach my cut in the same manner that I approached my bulk, slowly. I lost a good part of my gains last year. I'm still relatively new to all this, but learning from mistakes. I'm going to try to not do much (read as "if any") cardio. I'm way too comfortable with it. I can spend 45-1 hour doing cardio and not bat an eye. My problem last transition was that I wanted to drop the fluff so quickly, I went way too aggressive.

I consider this entire experience as my human body science experiment. I learn and adapt with each phase. Looking forward to seeing what I look like come summer.
That is the best part for me haha. I'm a nerd at heart and I get to experiment with my own body, what more could I ask for!? Just need to make the connections of what works best for you. If only more people could make that understanding rather then always pursue short-cuts.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      02-01-2021, 01:23 PM   #2828
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That is the best part for me haha. I'm a nerd at heart and I get to experiment with my own body, what more could I ask for!? Just need to make the connections of what works best for you. If only more people could make that understanding rather then always pursue short-cuts.
I've come to understand that short-cuts only result in short-comings.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 09:59 PM   #2829
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

@JP10 in reference to your tight upper back/shoulder area, how much time do you spend stretching post work out and what types of stretches do you do?

Also, do you ever get massages and if so regularly?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 06:43 AM   #2830
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
@JP10 in reference to your tight upper back/shoulder area, how much time do you spend stretching post work out and what types of stretches do you do?

The first 10-15 mins of my workout is spent stretching. Then I finish my workout with abs, rolling out my back/shoulders, and more stretching. Really hard to describe the types of stretches as I don't know any of the proper names lol. Mostly has to do with contorting my upper back as it constantly feels like it needs cracker (right inbetween my shoulder blades). If I really pinch my back together it feels better, but difficult to maintain for large periods of time. I'm sure typing on a keyboard for long periods of time doesnt help.

Never had a message, or have been to a chiropractor. Sounds nice though, need to bite the bullet and just go get it checked out. Difficult to find time these days lol so busy.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 07:06 AM   #2831
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Does anyone use those apple watches? I just bought one and thought I'd use it to track workouts. The Heart BPM feature, 113 BPM resting doesn't seem right for someone who is in semi shape.

Are these things even accurate?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 07:21 AM   #2832
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Does anyone use those apple watches? I just bought one and thought I'd use it to track workouts. The Heart BPM feature, 113 BPM resting doesn't seem right for someone who is in semi shape.

I've heard they work fine(ish). I haven't had an apple, but the fiance does and she hasn't let me know of any erroneous results. 113 BPM resting does seem high, do you take adderall or a shit load of caffiene? My resting HR is quite low, 45-55BPM, just for reference. Natural resting HR for females on average is higher then that of males though. Average resting HR for you is probably around 80 BPM give or take a couple.

Wrist monitors will never give the most accurate results though. They have chest monitors that apparently work much better, but that seems so inconvenient especially when lifting.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 07:44 AM   #2833
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I've heard they work fine(ish). I haven't had an apple, but the fiance does and she hasn't let me know of any erroneous results. 113 BPM resting does seem high, do you take adderall or a shit load of caffiene? My resting HR is quite low, 45-55BPM, just for reference. Natural resting HR for females on average is higher then that of males though. Average resting HR for you is probably around 80 BPM give or take a couple.

Wrist monitors will never give the most accurate results though. They have chest monitors that apparently work much better, but that seems so inconvenient especially when lifting.
I was on adderall for 3 months in early 2019. I was up for a promotion and wanted to focus and shine to get the position. At my three month follow up, I was hypertension stage 2, and at 32 years old and 110 lbs on a 5'3" frame, my doctor was concerned. My diastolic number rose 30 points from my initial appointment when I got the RX . I haven't been on it in over a year and I would imagine it would have dropped by now.

I drink a cup of coffee a day, but doesn't everyone?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 07:49 AM   #2834
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The first 10-15 mins of my workout is spent stretching. Then I finish my workout with abs, rolling out my back/shoulders, and more stretching. Really hard to describe the types of stretches as I don't know any of the proper names lol. Mostly has to do with contorting my upper back as it constantly feels like it needs cracker (right inbetween my shoulder blades). If I really pinch my back together it feels better, but difficult to maintain for large periods of time. I'm sure typing on a keyboard for long periods of time doesnt help.

Never had a message, or have been to a chiropractor. Sounds nice though, need to bite the bullet and just go get it checked out. Difficult to find time these days lol so busy.
I would try to find time after your workout to get a stretch in. Also, something that may help in between is yoga. I can shoot you a few short ones (10-15 mins) that focus on that section. It's made a lot of difference for me because I drive a lot and I like the extra stretching. Breathing correctly during stretching (just like during workouts) is important. It's crazy how many people hold their breath during stretching not even realizing their doing it.

Massages are great! I would look for someone who is more focused on deep tissue/sports massages. It's relaxing but there's nothing better than getting those tight muscles worked. I've been to a chiropractor before and once again it's about finding the right one. I'm torn on this one. I didn't love the manipulation of my neck and spine. I found the combination of the 2 above for me really helped me more in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 07:56 AM   #2835
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

They're pretty accurate. I've worn a heart rate monitor 3 different ways and my Apple Watch is within 10 calories of total calories burned. I didn't like the chest heart rate monitor as it had trouble reading on me. The best place for me was on my bicep.

My resting heart rate is around 66.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 08:19 AM   #2836
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
They're pretty accurate. I've worn a heart rate monitor 3 different ways and my Apple Watch is within 10 calories of total calories burned. I didn't like the chest heart rate monitor as it had trouble reading on me. The best place for me was on my bicep.

. Fudge.. I wonder if I have something wrong
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 09:09 AM   #2837
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

. Fudge.. I wonder if I have something wrong
If you just got your watch, make sure you have everything set up in your health section and it gives you a good bit of info. Wear it for a month and you will have a better idea of a true resting heart rate.
Appreciate 1
Sara5775.50
      02-03-2021, 10:23 AM   #2838
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was on adderall for 3 months in early 2019. I was up for a promotion and wanted to focus and shine to get the position. At my three month follow up, I was hypertension stage 2, and at 32 years old and 110 lbs on a 5'3" frame, my doctor was concerned. My diastolic number rose 30 points from my initial appointment when I got the RX . I haven't been on it in over a year and I would imagine it would have dropped by now.

I drink a cup of coffee a day, but doesn't everyone?
Oh damn, adderrall really did a number on you lol. Cup of coffee a day is completely fine haha, I'm between 2-3 cups a day. Might be something you want to get checked out, especially if it is consistently high.

Quote:
I would try to find time after your workout to get a stretch in. Also, something that may help in between is yoga. I can shoot you a few short ones (10-15 mins) that focus on that section. It's made a lot of difference for me because I drive a lot and I like the extra stretching. Breathing correctly during stretching (just like during workouts) is important. It's crazy how many people hold their breath during stretching not even realizing their doing it.

Massages are great! I would look for someone who is more focused on deep tissue/sports massages. It's relaxing but there's nothing better than getting those tight muscles worked. I've been to a chiropractor before and once again it's about finding the right one. I'm torn on this one. I didn't love the manipulation of my neck and spine. I found the combination of the 2 above for me really helped me more in the long run.
Please send them over! At this point I'll take any tips/tricks you can offer haha. I think I need to work on my breathing during stretching. Have it down completely when lifting, but always forget to focus on it when stretching.

Hm Maybe I will look for a massage rather then a chiropractor visit then. I'll have to do some research. I appreciate the advice!
Appreciate 0