New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-23-2021, 10:16 AM   #1
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3 E93

Garage List
Florida Home Owners Insurance - Recommendations

I'm trying help out a buddy of mine who's mother passed away. She lived down in Port Charlette FL... anyway, short and long, he just went down there last week to get some things organized and get a better grasp on the bill's, etc.. One thing that he found out was, his mothers home owners policy and flood insurance laps. He's currently in the process of shopping around, however, since he's not from that area, he really has no contacts or insight on where to shop around.

He is going through some tough times with the passing of this mother and getting a bit overwhelmed so I'm trying to help out. Does anyone have any recommendations. The house is located in Port Charlotte, FL 33948.

Thanks guys..!!

Last edited by RelaxIN2; 08-23-2021 at 12:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 10:20 AM   #2
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelaxIN2 View Post
I'm trying help out a buddy of mine who's mother passed away. She lived down in Port Charlette FL... anyway, short and long, he just went down there last week to get some things organized and get a better grasp on the bill's, etc.. One thing that he found out was, his mothers home owners policy and flood insurance laps. He's currently in the process of shopping around, however, since he's not from that area, he really has no contacts or insight on where to shop around.

He is going through some tough times with the passing of this mother and getting a bit overwhelmed so I'm trying to help out. Does anyone have any recommendations. The house is located in Port Charlotte, FL 33948.

Thanks guys..!!
Calling RickFLM4

You need someone from FL to chime in. From what I understand, lots of insurance companies have been pulling out of the FL market.
      08-23-2021, 10:57 AM   #3
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
try state farm.
i have 2 vehicles and the house
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 11:02 AM   #4
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Calling RickFLM4

You need someone from FL to chime in. From what I understand, lots of insurance companies have been pulling out of the FL market.
Come on Rick... help a brother out..!!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 11:08 AM   #5
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Come on Rick... help a brother out..!!
Change your title to include FL in the subject line. I'm trying to tag Tommy-G and 2000cs but they aren't coming up.
      08-23-2021, 11:22 AM   #6
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:

Thanks guys..!!
I had my home in Florida insured through a company called KIN Insurance. Saved a bunch of money and didn't have to change any of my coverages or levels from when I had it insured with one of the big names. The person that helped me was named Alex, not sure if he's still there but they were super helpful and by far the cheapest I could find. I was in Pinellas.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 11:23 AM   #7
Manny01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2

Use a broker and have them shop the policies around. They'll do all the leg work. I use Tampa Bay Insurance Group for all my properties and they've been phenomenal, proactive, and always manage to find me great policies from reputable carriers on the cheap.

www.tbigins.com
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410997.00
      08-23-2021, 11:24 AM   #8
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Does your buddy not have homeowners with someone or do they not write coverage in FL?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 11:32 AM   #9
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep
Drives: 1997 Dinan m3

If Auto Owners insurance is available down there, I would highly recommend them. My house was recently hit by a tornado and their disaster guy was there 2 days later and pretty much just maxed out my claim. He just agreed with everything we claimed (we were very reasonable with estimates of our personal property value) and worked with our contractor.

Allstate and State Farm have been horrible to work with, according to our neighbors. They have both been fighting every claim tooth and nail. One neighbor just gave up and is suing them.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 11:38 AM   #10
charlie fairmont
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: His & hers, GC & X5

I'm a Florida guy. Years ago I switched to AAA, (the same one that you use for car/road side support) and ended up with more coverage for less money than SF. They're worth a call for sure. I will say I've never had to file a claim so I can't speak to customer support in a claim situation.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 12:10 PM   #11
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Change your title to include FL in the subject line. I'm trying to tag Tommy-G and 2000cs but they aren't coming up.
Good Point..!! - Done..
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go15805.00
      08-23-2021, 12:28 PM   #12
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
I'm in Florida and use State Farm. No issues at all and would actually say I'd recommend them. I've found that having an agent worth a damn that's willing to fight for you is the key for places like State Farm. If they just push you to the claims center with no direct involvement, find another.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 12:30 PM   #13
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

He just has to shop around, usually will get quotes all over the place.

I was with American Strategic Insurance ASI but they got bought out by Progressive a few years ago and my rates go up every year now.

But all the quotes I've been getting have all been higher so I am sticking around for now.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 12:32 PM   #14
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
I had my home in Florida insured through a company called KIN Insurance. Saved a bunch of money and didn't have to change any of my coverages or levels from when I had it insured with one of the big names. The person that helped me was named Alex, not sure if he's still there but they were super helpful and by far the cheapest I could find. I was in Pinellas.
Thank you... I've never heard of them, but I'll have him take a look..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny01 View Post
Use a broker and have them shop the policies around. They'll do all the leg work. I use Tampa Bay Insurance Group for all my properties and they've been phenomenal, proactive, and always manage to find me great policies from reputable carriers on the cheap.

www.tbigins.com
Never thought about a broker... that might be a way to go as well.. it sounds like you've had a good experience with Tampa Bay Insurance, I'll see if he can give them a call as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Does your buddy not have homeowners with someone or do they not write coverage in FL?
Yes he does, however, he feels as though the cost was pretty expensive, hence, why he wants to shop around...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 12:48 PM   #15
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I don’t know about Port Charlotte but no major insurer writes new policies for new customers in South Florida. What you will find are smaller state-based insurers or the state’s insurer of last resort, Citizens (expensive). It’s not a good situation. If going with a smaller company he’ll want to make sure they are back-stopped by the state (FIGA) in case they go bankrupt. Also need to make sure the deductible is reasonable (2% rather than 5%) and there is full replacement cost. Can’t take stuff like that for granted here. Also, we are in peak of hurricane season so he needs to act quickly. No one will write a policy if there is a storm watch.

His best bet is to find an agent who is local to the market and can shop different policies. Maybe a neighbor can recommend someone. I am happy to provide mine but we are in Palm Beach County and honestly, I don’t think they are a great agent.

After years of shopping around and keeping rates reasonable, rates skyrocketed 40% this year. Not uncommon as policies renew in 2021 so I’ve read. Insurance is super expensive here compared to other parts of the country. We pay around $5K/year for a 2% deductible.
2000cs3516.00
RelaxIN2514.00
      08-23-2021, 12:52 PM   #16
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Here is my agent: https://affordableinsurancecompanies.com/ but I am not sure they cover the area where the property is located. May have a contact and some advice, however.

I had been with USAA since I bought my first house in 1982, but when we moved to FL they didn’t offer wind coverage (kind of important) and kicked us to the provider-of-last-resort for that coverage. Their cost was high as was the wind, so my realtor recommended I call the agent and they found me excellent coverage at a very reasonable rate, including wind. I later added flood even though we’re pretty high up (it can still happen).

About a week ago USAA sent a renewal for my auto policy (since 1977), and the increase was about 25% with clean records and just Volvos. I tried Liberty because they have affinity rates for BMW and Volvo, and who wouldn’t want to be associated with an emu? Their rate was about what USAA was before the increase, so I called the agent and she shopped it for us. My new rate is about half of what it was with USAA before the increase for the same coverages and deductibles. So we’re switching.

Point of the story is that insurance here is wild, and there can be huge ranges in coverages and costs. If you don’t want to shop it yourself, get an agent to assist.

After-thought: some insurance companies offer a grace period after a policy lapses where you can renew. Might be path of least resistance for now, and then shop later.
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410997.00
RelaxIN2514.00
      08-23-2021, 02:59 PM   #17
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I don’t know about Port Charlotte but no major insurer writes new policies for new customers in South Florida. What you will find are smaller state-based insurers or the state’s insurer of last resort, Citizens (expensive). It’s not a good situation. If going with a smaller company he’ll want to make sure they are back-stopped by the state (FIGA) in case they go bankrupt. Also need to make sure the deductible is reasonable (2% rather than 5%) and there is full replacement cost. Can’t take stuff like that for granted here. Also, we are in peak of hurricane season so he needs to act quickly. No one will write a policy if there is a storm watch.

His best bet is to find an agent who is local to the market and can shop different policies. Maybe a neighbor can recommend someone. I am happy to provide mine but we are in Palm Beach County and honestly, I don’t think they are a great agent.

After years of shopping around and keeping rates reasonable, rates skyrocketed 40% this year. Not uncommon as policies renew in 2021 so I’ve read. Insurance is super expensive here compared to other parts of the country. We pay around $5K/year for a 2% deductible.
Thanks for the advice Rick...good information there to consider..!
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410997.00
      08-23-2021, 03:39 PM   #18
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Thanks for the advice Rick...good information there to consider..!
Glad to help and happy to respond if there are any other questions. Really need to be careful about the deductible and replacement cost. Some shady companies and agents out there stick people with bad policies by flashing a lower price. If someone is ok with a 5% deductible and non-replacement cost to save on premiums, fine, but just need to understand what you are buying.

There are more nuances as well about wind mitigation, shutters, etc. that can help lower premiums. Best explained by a good agent. Could require an inspection.

Oh also, if he ever puts a claim in, he will be dropped and be forced into Citizens because no other insurance company will touch him. So no tiny claims.
RelaxIN2514.00
2000cs3516.00
      08-23-2021, 03:57 PM   #19
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Understood..!! - its one of these situations where he is trying to pick up the pieces and has no idea what bills she had or what is being paid or unpaid. At this point, he's just trying to make sure that all of the basic things such as water, electric, lawn care, insurance, etc are covered. He lives up here in PA and he's trying to manage this situation down in Florida. He's not tech savvy so I'm trying to help him get things organized, keep an eye on the house remotely, etc...
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 02:18 PM   #20
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

I got you....my car agent is AAA, I'm making sure he does homeowners. His office in Venice is very close to Port Charlotte.
Rick confirmed he does homeowners
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
2000cs3516.00
RelaxIN2514.00
      08-24-2021, 03:17 PM   #21
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-G View Post
I got you....my car agent is AAA, I'm making sure he does homeowners. His office in Venice is very close to Port Charlotte.
Rick confirmed he does homeowners
Perfect... Thanks Tommy...!!
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4500.50