New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-12-2021, 08:18 AM   #1
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
762
Rep
1,775
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MA

iTrader: (7)

"Nico needed 1,000 laps, Lewis was there in two"

Some interesting quotes from Mercedes’ chief strategist, James Vowles:

From https://www.planetf1.com/news/nico-r...hamilton-laps/

“Looking through the data, if you give Nico a thousand laps, he slowly iterates towards an incredible performance level. If you give Lewis two, he’s there, if that makes any sense,” said Vowles during the Beyond The Grid podcast.

“Where Nico was excellent was if you give him time in the car to see what his team-mate’s doing, he’s incredible what he achieves. That’s where he was good – he could continuously adapt and evolve if he had sufficient amounts of time under his belt."


My 2 cents: In 2016, the year Rosberg "beat" Hamilton, Hamilton had more wins and more podiums, but one additional retirement. That was the difference in the championship.
Appreciate 3
MKSixer32265.50
yco4608.50
Poiseuille4842.50
      04-12-2021, 08:39 AM   #2
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
MKSixer's Avatar
32266
Rep
11,627
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southeast United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
Some interesting quotes from Mercedes’ chief strategist, James Vowles:

From https://www.planetf1.com/news/nico-r...hamilton-laps/

“Looking through the data, if you give Nico a thousand laps, he slowly iterates towards an incredible performance level. If you give Lewis two, he’s there, if that makes any sense,” said Vowles during the Beyond The Grid podcast.

“Where Nico was excellent was if you give him time in the car to see what his team-mate’s doing, he’s incredible what he achieves. That’s where he was good – he could continuously adapt and evolve if he had sufficient amounts of time under his belt."


My 2 cents: In 2016, the year Rosberg "beat" Hamilton, Hamilton had more wins and more podiums, but one additional retirement. That was the difference in the championship.
Yes. This is one of Sir Lewis's greatest strengths. He learns tracks so quickly that it's actually shocking.

And the craziest thing is that Lewis has 2 major anomalistic failures that cost him championships:

The big end bearing failure in Malaysia on a brand new Mercedes PU culminating a season where he had 90% of the engine failures at Mercedes Benz for the 2016 F1 season.

The transmission temporary failure in 2007 on the last race of the season which, to the knowledge of a friend of mine in Canada who worked for McLaren at the time swears, was induced by McLaren to keep Lewis from winning the championship in a deal with Max Mosely and Ron Dennis. There wasn't to that point and hasn't been since, a failure of that type in a Formula One car's transmission.
__________________
Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 4
jkoral762.00
irunalot685.50
Poiseuille4842.50
AmuroRay602.00
      04-12-2021, 09:32 AM   #3
Killed by Death
Lieutenant Colonel
Killed by Death's Avatar
United_States
3530
Rep
1,549
Posts

Drives: 2020 M2C
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: North Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
The transmission temporary failure in 2007 on the last race of the season which, to the knowledge of a friend of mine in Canada who worked for McLaren at the time swears, was induced by McLaren to keep Lewis from winning the championship in a deal with Max Mosely and Ron Dennis. There wasn't to that point and hasn't been since, a failure of that type in a Formula One car's transmission.
2007? you mean the espionage year controversy involving Ferrari and McLaren, which led to McLaren being excluded from the Constructors' Championship. McLaren cheated! Can't claim a championship in a car that doesn't exist. The "Peoples Champ" won it fair and square!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 09:58 AM   #4
yco
i'm just saying
yco's Avatar
4609
Rep
2,575
Posts

Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Istanbul & Kyiv

iTrader: (0)

Rosberg was driving more dirty than Schumacher's some time to time behaviors..

he doesnt have much fans and even these days when he is up in the commentators room talking.. you can still feel it.. he is a fast driver for sure but as his human side he is no match for Lewis as well..

and for the topic the season he won the tittle he had to use his capability like 130%.. and he knew he wont be able to do it again against Lewis and he retired..

this incident is his true color still.. braking away from the barriers, keep flicking the steering wheel.. how cheap act it is..

__________________
"Race car driving is like sex. All guys think they're good at it." Jay Leno
Appreciate 3
irunalot685.50
MKSixer32265.50
Poiseuille4842.50
      04-12-2021, 11:24 AM   #5
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
762
Rep
1,775
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MA

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
this incident is his true color still.. braking away from the barriers, keep flicking the steering wheel.. how cheap act it is..
Just recently stumbled across this clip with Brundle needling Rosberg about it. Rosberg doth protest too much. Hamilton called it in your clip above and I give more credence to F1 drivers.

Appreciate 2
yco4608.50
MKSixer32265.50
      04-12-2021, 11:15 PM   #6
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
MKSixer's Avatar
32266
Rep
11,627
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southeast United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post
2007? you mean the espionage year controversy involving Ferrari and McLaren, which led to McLaren being excluded from the Constructors' Championship. McLaren cheated! Can't claim a championship in a car that doesn't exist. The "Peoples Champ" won it fair and square!
Kimi isn't the people's champion. He's a guy that consistently phoned it in when he had top cars and was gifted a championship when Ferrari pitted Massa to switch places.

Real champions win it on the track. #luckiestchampionever.
__________________
Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 02:28 AM   #7
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
SenorFunkyPants's Avatar
United Kingdom
2343
Rep
4,292
Posts

Drives: 2019 M5
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Back to the OP...ISTM that the comment applies also to Verstappen.
He can be fast but he doesn't have the same natural talent as Hamilton.
Every now and again a standout driver arrives in F1 who seems to have that innate ability to make their car seem faster than it had the right to be.
Senna the most obvious....but most all the multiple champions in modern F1 had that gift.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer32265.50
Poiseuille4842.50
      04-17-2021, 12:56 AM   #8
NickyC
Major General
NickyC's Avatar
10509
Rep
8,341
Posts

Drives: F80. Former G82, x2 F82.
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jacked out of my mind

iTrader: (20)

I miss Nico, if he hadn't retired he might have saved us a ton of boredom over the past few years and actually given Hamilton some competition.

He beat him once over a season, it would have been interesting to see if he could do it again but we'll never know. Bottas just doesn't have it, he'll forever be a number 2 and will never threaten Hamilton.
Appreciate 3
      04-17-2021, 03:50 AM   #9
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
SenorFunkyPants's Avatar
United Kingdom
2343
Rep
4,292
Posts

Drives: 2019 M5
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I miss Nico, if he hadn't retired he might have saved us a ton of boredom over the past few years and actually given Hamilton some competition.

He beat him once over a season, it would have been interesting to see if he could do it again but we'll never know. Bottas just doesn't have it, he'll forever be a number 2 and will never threaten Hamilton.
I liked Nico early days but that move at Monaco was so obviously a cheat...never felt the same about him after that.
He was a fast racer but not quite at Hamiltons level..he won his championship due a certain amount of luck with LHs mechanical problems but its his championship and he was smart to retire with it in his hand.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer32265.50
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30 AM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST