New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-13-2022, 06:07 PM   #1
Jamez4
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW Z4 m sport

Garage door opener question

Hello everyone, I've had my Z4 for about a month now, and I'm not able to get my rear view mirror/garage door opener to work. I've watched youtube videos telling me to press buttons 1 and 3 on the mirror, to clear out the existing codes, but i never see any flashing lights that indicate the button presses are doing anything. Has anyone came across this before? I've tried to program 2 different garage doors with the rolling codes pressing the button on the garage door opener, but it never works. Any ideas?

Thanks,
James Butler
2016 Z4
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 08:33 PM   #2
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

If memory serves, the car cannot be n the garage when you're attempting to program it. Park it in the driveway in front of the door. Just throwing that out there as I think it's a common mistake.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 10:13 PM   #3
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamez4 View Post
Hello everyone, I've had my Z4 for about a month now, and I'm not able to get my rear view mirror/garage door opener to work. I've watched youtube videos telling me to press buttons 1 and 3 on the mirror, to clear out the existing codes, but i never see any flashing lights that indicate the button presses are doing anything. Has anyone came across this before? I've tried to program 2 different garage doors with the rolling codes pressing the button on the garage door opener, but it never works. Any ideas?

Thanks,
James Butler
2016 Z4
I assume you have the same mirror as mine (also a 2016). The blinking light is a tiny led just to the left of the 1 button. It's easy to block with your finger when pressing the button.

If it doesn't light at all, I'd check the power connection under the cover around the mirror base. The previous owner may have disconnected it to steal power for a radar detector, or ??

If you can get that part working it may not be able to program your opener. The Homelink system is the same as in the E90 generation from 2008. And it didn't get updated with the LCI either. If your opener has a round yellow learn button, it won't work as it uses the newer SECURITY+ 2.0 multi-frequency system.

But there is a solution. You need a HOMELINK® COMPATIBILITY BRIDGE kit. It comes with a remote and a module that can be plugged into an electrical outlet. It's a two step process to set up. Plug the module into a power outlet in the garage. You then program the car remote to the bridge and then the bridge to the opener. (The remote that comes with it is only needed for programming - don't lose it.) Once set up, it's transparent.

Gerry
      04-14-2022, 08:34 AM   #4
Jamez4
Registered
Rep

Garage door opener question

Thanks Gerry. That was very helpful. Can you please expand on how to get at the power cable on the mirror? Do I have to remove the cover from the base of the mirror?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 01:49 PM   #5
stevenfstein
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4, S Countryman All4

Having the same issue with my newly acquired Z4. I can delete previous codes by holding both buttons but neither holding the remote a few inches from the mirror nor pressing the learn button on the garage door opener works. Not a problem with my new MINI, works fine. I spoke with the guy who installed the openers and he said it is a problem with the older cars. He was also not a big fan of the Homelink Bridge kit. I'll keep trying but for now I keep the remote in the car.

Best... Steve
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 06:04 PM   #6
Jamez4
Registered
Rep

Hi Steve,
I actually got it working today. Gerry told me exactly where to look for the blinking light, and i was able to clear the codes with the 1,3 button press, then i was able to program the rolling code garage door opener. i did notice that you have to program button 1 before you can program button 2. after the 1,3 clear and i saw the fast blinking light, i then held the 1 button at the same time as the garage door opener. once the garage was closed, i honked the horn to tell my dad to press the learn button on the garage door opener. i then waited about 10 seconds, and pressed the 1 button 3 times, holding each time about 1 second. and it actually worked. Hope this will help you.
-James.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 08:33 PM   #7
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenfstein View Post
Having the same issue with my newly acquired Z4. I can delete previous codes by holding both buttons but neither holding the remote a few inches from the mirror nor pressing the learn button on the garage door opener works. Not a problem with my new MINI, works fine. I spoke with the guy who installed the openers and he said it is a problem with the older cars. He was also not a big fan of the Homelink Bridge kit. I'll keep trying but for now I keep the remote in the car.

Best... Steve
Steve,

If your opener is relatively new and has a round yellow learn button, the Homelink in the Z4 won't work with it directly. The systems are incompatible. It will work fine with the older rolling code systems with square purple or orange learn buttons.

I had to replace my opener (from 2009) about 6 months ago. My wife's X5 (2022) works fine with the new opener. When I tried to connect the Z4, the mirror wouldn't recognize the remote for the new opener. Had to get the bridge to get the Z4 to connect.

If you have the round yellow learn button, you need the Homelink Bridge. It's annoying, but the only other option would be finding a mirror from a newer BMW that is plug and mount compatible with the Z4. If you do, it will likely be a lot more expensive than the bridge.

Gerry
      04-14-2022, 08:37 PM   #8
stevenfstein
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4, S Countryman All4

James, congrats - quick question - did you continue to hold down the remote control button the whole time or once the garage door closed, did you release it and then press the mirror button the 3 times after the learn button was pressed. BTW - how old is the garage door opener? Mine is about 1 year or so.

Thanks... Steve
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 09:16 PM   #9
Jamez4
Registered
Rep

Steve,
I started with the garage door open, and when i pressed both the garage door opener and button 1 at the same time i held them both down. I noticed the orange light flashing fast when the door was about half way down, but i kept holding it until the door was fully shut. I then honked the horn to give the signal for my dad to press the learn button on the garage door opener inside the garage. I'm not sure how old my opener is. Its at least 4 years old as that's when i bought my house.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 07:18 PM   #10
golfguy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Thanks all, I'm having the same issue with my 2011 Z4 and my new house. I thought I just couldn't follow instructions. Heh. I'll give the bridge a try.
2008 ///M Roadster Black Sapphire Metallic/Imola Red 6sp manual (gone and lamented)
2012 128i Convertible Vermilion Red/Oyster AT (gone)
2007 335i Convertible Space Gray Metallic/Light Silver Gray AT (gone)
2006 Z4 3.0i Montego Blue/Sand Beige AT (gone)
2000 323i Sienna Red/Beige AT(gone)
1985 318i Alpine White/Navy cloth 5sp manual (gone)
Appreciate 0